Can I use a tv to post test?

theminnesotanman
Go to solution Solved by theminnesotanman,
1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Sounds like it, yes. My old TV would just stay on black screen until Windows was booted.

My friend is loaning me his old monitor till mine comes in the mail! Thank you everyone for the helpful responses!

Can I use a tv to post test? My monitor for my new build will come in like a week but I want to start building the system now. Is it even completely necessary to do a post test? 

Yah, any display is fine if you just want to see the BIOS come up and make sure everything is working.

You don't necessarily need a screen but output can help if there is a problem.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Yes, will be fine.

You can build the system and use it with a TV just fine.

A post test is always a good idea, because if you build the whole computer and then find something is broken, you have to take the whole thing apart, rather than just removing the one faulty component.

Hope this helps :)

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, any display is fine if you just want to see the BIOS come up and make sure everything is working.

You don't necessarily need a screen but output can help if there is a problem.

Not necessarily, a lot of TVs will not display the BIOS of a PC when connected by HDMI, they will go on to work perfectly in Windows but will display a black screen during POST.

There's no way to know if yours will or won't without testing it, I have 2 TVs, my older one won't display a BIOS while my newer one displays it fine, same PC and same cable.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Not necessarily, a lot of TVs will not display the BIOS of a PC when connected by HDMI, they will go on to work perfectly in Windows but will display a black screen during POST.

There's no way to know if yours will or won't without testing it, I have 2 TVs, my older one won't display a BIOS while my newer one displays it fine, same PC and same cable.

The issue there is that the BIOS video format was outside of the display capability of the TV.

The TV couldn't scale the BIOS screen to it's display.

I find this highly unlikely to happen on any TV from the last 10 years.

Also, BIOS' tend to be standard resolutions these days, so it's unlikely to be something the TV can't deal with.

Scaling on TVs is pretty decent these days.

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

If it doesn't show the dell logo while my dell laptop is booting is that going to be the case for my tv then?

25 minutes ago, theminnesotanman said:

If it doesn't show the dell logo while my dell laptop is booting is that going to be the case for my tv then?

Sounds like it, yes. My old TV would just stay on black screen until Windows was booted.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

26 minutes ago, theminnesotanman said:

That could be something to do with your laptop. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

My friend is loaning me his old monitor till mine comes in the mail! Thank you everyone for the helpful responses!