Windows 8 - Blue Video Preview

GoodBytes

The Verge got Windows 8 Blue update that was leaked, and goes in a hand-on preview to it with Video

Video:

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/25/41...ew-screenshots

In sum:

-> New extra large tile for Desktop (at least for now it's only Desktop)

-> New small icons

-> Slide Up on the Start Screen shows all app

-> Tiles can't be drag like that.. they you need to select "Customize' button to be able to move tiles and name your groups. This makes naming groups easier, and avoid accident moving of the smaller tiles.

-> Ability to select your own custom color and accent color, and easy access from the Setting panel when on the Start Screen. No more the few color preset that we have now. Still no custom background picture.

-> VPN configuration

-> Huge number of options has been moved to the PC Setting Metro app... so those using a tablet will not longer have to access the Control Panel in Desktop mode. Or at least reduce it a huge amount.

-> Improved integration to Skydrive

-> PlayTo feature

-> A nice set of new options

-> New Alarm App

-> Calculator App (basic, scientific and converter)

-> Audio recoding App

-> Windows Movie Maker Modern UI app called Movie Moments

-> Updated current Modern ui app

-> Ability to set the screen 50/50

-> If the screen resolution permits you can add more than 2x apps side by side.. so you can have 4 apps in columns, or one half screen and 2 other 1/4 screen

-> IE11

-> IE11 has a new Sync tab option

-> Share a screen shot or link of an IE11 page

-> New shutdown screen like on Windows Phone 8

-> Improved keyboard layout

Note: This is a leak build, and still in works. Things still may change, and things will continue to improve. It is expected to be released later this year.

I've just come across the same link. very good changes so far.

I like the way it's going but I would prefer if it was just some sort of service pack, major update. For instance is a person buying a Windows 8 PC today going to be able to get this as a free update or do they count it as a separate OS like 7 and 8? That's what I am scared of because this will create a lot of disparity in my opinion. A kind of less dramatic Android problem where no one is actually running the same version. I don't know, just scared about a new OS already coming out... Otherwise thanks for sharing!

Android is releasing update in no time frame. When they feel like releasing an update they do.

Microsoft is doing something that were talking a lot about since Vista days, when Microsoft was talking about Windows on tablets. It is to reduce the time frame from every 3 years to every year to avoid the OS being surpassed by the other OS, and forcing the user to wait a full 3 years for features and innovations that other platform already got.

Now it's taking place.

Microsoft hasn't decided if the model will be:

-> Pay a full version of Windows, and every year get free updates (So Windows 8.5, 8.7, etc..)

-> Pay a reduce price of Windows, and every year have a 30-40$ upgrade.

Thanks for the extra information. Helps me understand the Microsoft phenomenon. :)

I really hope this comes as a free/very cheap upgrade for Windows 8 users.

I care, and so is many users who are using and enjoying Windows 8, instead of judging Win8 by using it for 5min or looking at screenshots.

I really hope this comes as a free/very cheap upgrade for Windows 8 users.
It is said to be free for users of Windows 8.

Thanks for posting. I am patiently waiting on a consumer preview. Hopefully it will come soon.

i am installing now :D

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

internet explorer 11 :D

post-7722-1366786221702_thumb.png

-Adolf Hitler 

Did they add this feature called a start button?

Did they add this feature called a start button?

Yes in the dev preview, and people said that it broke Windows 8.. and it did.

If you put a metro app on the left and the rest of the desktop, like so:

desksb.png

Accessing the Start Menu was hard, as you need to pin point your mouse to it, yu can't quickly access it. And if you put Metro app 70% of the screen and 30% desktop.. it looks like this:

desksb2.png

Now what do you do. Yes you can hit the Window key.. but that's not the point. Beside you can do this now. Assuming you don't know about the Windows key.. what do you do? Reset your computer?

Due to these complaints Microsoft removed the Start Button, and now every time you hit the bottom right, it shows the Start Screen. Sadly, people who are clueless on the issue, complain about the lack of the Start Menu, ignoring the fact how it broke the OS.

Hopefull Microsoft doesn't try to just rip us off

The best way to predict the future is to invent it

Windows Blue is not out yet. A public beta is expected to be out this summer.

People that got their hands on Windows Blue, is that they were able to find where the leak is distributed, but providing such link can make the forum in big trouble with Microsoft. Beside I would STRINGLY recommend to wait for at least the beta... 'cause that is alpha work... meaning: "He have the feature, but we have no idea if it will work everyone without crashing, or if we (Microsoft) broke something while implementing it which can lead to a disaster, or stability or annoyance".

Also the features are completely implemented, and we don't where in the development cycle that leak is in (early or late), which means that many things could have change or added or a new approach has been taken or simply removed (e.g.: Microsoft discovered that it was bad idea, and remove it).

i downloaded it from a torrent i can give you the link if you want

-Adolf Hitler 

Incase you were interested the filename of it is 9364.0.FBL_PARTNER_OUT13.130315-2105_X86FRE_CLIENT_EN-US-IMP_CCSA_DV5.ISO

Google is your friend :)