Upgrading my gaming rig but don't know where to start

BDunkz

Ok, so I built my rig a little while ago (6 months) and I'm looking to upgrade something

but I'm just not sure what 

My current pc

Core i5 6700k

Gigabyte z270

Kingston 120gb ssd

Gigabyte gtx 970

Vengeance 16gb (2x8)

600w gold thermaltake psu

now I know i have left out the case but I forgot the name and its not really important.

i also have only 120gb of ssd but I'm going to hold out a while and maybe get a nas.

Also I'm not sure how much I'm gonna spend so I'm really just looking for the best 

upgrade. 

Budget? And a i5-6700K isn't a thing 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Budget? And a i5-6700K isn't a thing 

Yes budget and sorry it must have been a 7600k?

Just now, BDunkz said:

Yes budget and sorry it must have been a 7600k?

No what's your budget and what country?

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Also please tell me how to overclock my CPU and monitor its temp out of the bios (is that possible)

Depends, what resolution and refresh rate monitor do you have or plan to get?

1080p 60Hz = You are fine

1080p 144Hz = GTX 1070

1440p 60Hz = GTX 1070

1440p 144Hz = GTX 1080/Ti

2160p 60Hz = GTX 1080/Ti

Oh, if you are running out of storage get an HDD, and I'm not so sure about that PSU.

1 minute ago, BDunkz said:

Also please tell me how to overclock my CPU and monitor its temp out of the bios (is that possible)

1. If you want to overclock, you may want to upgrade your CPU cooler with either a good tower cooler or AIO water. So you may want to upgrade there first.

2. You need to tell us what you budget is for upgrading. Do you have a range of what you are looking to spend? Do you have a hard limit of what you can spend? What is that limit or range?

Just now, Vespertine said:

1080p 144Hz = GTX 1070

1440p 60Hz = GTX 1070

2160p 60Hz = GTX 1080/Ti

I have a 1080p at 144hz but my games are running fine

Just now, BDunkz said:

Then why are you wanting to upgrade your pc? lol

Just now, BDunkz said:

Well yeah, the GTX 970 can go ultra settings 1080p at around 60fps most triple A games, not exactly fulfilling that 144Hz refresh rate.

Just now, Sin Stalker said:

1. If you want to overclock, you may want to upgrade your CPU cooler with either a good tower cooler or AIO water. So you may want to upgrade there first.

2. You need to tell us what you budget is for upgrading. Do you have a range of what you are looking to spend? Do you have a hard limit of what you can spend? What is that limit or range?

My CPU cooler is massive I think it can handle it (aftermarket cooler master)

i don't really want to spend more than $500 but I will go over if it's worth it

2 minutes ago, Vespertine said:

1080p 144Hz = GTX 1070

1440p 60Hz = GTX 1070

2160p 60Hz = GTX 1080/Ti

Oh, if you are running out of storage get an HDD, and I'm not so sure about that PSU.

Now is probably not the best time to upgrade a GPU. Wait for etherium to crash or those new mining cards to be released. 

Just now, Sin Stalker said:

Now is probably not the best time to upgrade a GPU. Wait for etherium to crash or those new mining cards to be released. 

Yeah, so I can get back to mining serious shit with my AntMiner :ok_hand:

Just now, Vespertine said:

Yeah, so I can get back to mining serious shit with my AntMiner :ok_hand:

Ok thanks 

Just now, BDunkz said:

My CPU cooler is massive I think it can handle it (aftermarket cooler master)

i don't really want to spend more than $500 but I will go over if it's worth it

Well you may want to consider RGB fans and lights via something like a NZXT Hue+.

You could not upgrade your CPU and use that money on a VR system, since your system should already be able to handle the min specs.

You could go with a NAS or upgrade for surround speakers or a nice headset.

9 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

Ok, so I built my rig a little while ago (6 months) and I'm looking to upgrade something

My current pc

Core i5 6700k

Gigabyte z270

Kingston 120gb ssd

Gigabyte gtx 970

Vengeance 16gb (2x8)

now I know i have left out the case but I forgot the name and its not really important.

i also have only 120gb of ssd but I'm going to hold out a while and maybe get a nas.

Also I'm not sure how much I'm gonna spend so I'm really just looking for the best 

upgrade. 

There are two things I would think about upgrading: 1 the graphics card, though unless you feel like buying a 1080, right now isn't the best time to buy. The other thing, is stepping up the quality of that psu. Otherwise, no complaints.

1 minute ago, Sin Stalker said:

Well you may want to consider RGB fans and lights via something like a NZXT Hue+.

You could not upgrade your CPU and use that money on a VR system, since your system should already be able to handle the min specs.

I've got a hyper X cloud II and I'm so happy with it that I'm not getting another set of agers

12 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

My current pc

Core i5 6700k

Gigabyte z270

Kingston 120gb ssd

Gigabyte gtx 970

Vengeance 16gb (2x8)

upgrade. 

If you want the best in that line of mobo, then the i7 7700k is technically better.. Then also upgrade the GPU to a 1080/1080 Ti.... Saw you have a 1080p 144hz monitor.. can always go with a 4k monitor or a 1440p/144hz(recommended)... Better PSU.. Something like a EVGA G2 or G3 would be best... That's about it.

If everything works fine for you and is suitable for your current needs, don't bother upgrading. save the money until you actually need to upgrade.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

For a nas would I just get an itx mobo some Pentium and put a bunch of drives and shove them in there right? Then maybe get a new psu for my rig and put the old one in the nas

2 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

you overclock your CPU by going into the BIOS, and increasing the multiplier. temps are monitored through the BIOS, usually displayed on the side or top or something, but that's not where you should be measuring. you should measure using a program like realtemp, HW info, etc. while under a stress test, to see max temps.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

For a nas would I just get an itx mobo some Pentium and put a bunch of drives and shove them in there right? Then maybe get a new psu for my rig and put the old one in the nas

You could with DIY a NAS or you can buy a prebuild system. Search NAS on Amazon to see the prebuild alternatives. I've only ever used prebuilt so IDK about the DIY.

1 minute ago, Atreyix said:

If you want the best in that line of mobo, then the i7 7700k is technically better.. Then also upgrade the GPU to a 1080/1080 Ti.... Saw you have a 1080p 144hz monitor.. can always go with a 4k monitor or a 1440p/144hz(recommended)... Better PSU.. Something like a EVGA G2 or G3 would be best... That's about it.

I was thinking if in future if I bought another 2 of those monitors (curved) what card(s) would I need to run them?

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

you overclock your CPU by going into the BIOS, and increasing the multiplier. temps are monitored through the BIOS, usually displayed on the side or top or something, but that's not where you should be measuring. you should measure using a program like realtemp, HW info, etc. while under a stress test, to see max temps.

Ok thanks

I was thinking if in future if I bought another 2 of those monitors (curved) what card(s) would I need to run them?

Probably a 1180 ti. Maybe if a 1280ti or higher, depending on how far into the future we are talking.