Upgrading pc for gaming and streaming

Heading to my local electronic store and buying ryzen 7 1700

ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO X370

And Corsair  dominator platinum 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000MHz

Any suggestions or changes on those three items? 

I already have 1080 ti 

Evo SSD 

And kraken x52

I'll be playing at 1440p ultrawide 100hz 

Thanks in advance 

No suggestions, looks good. Naturally ram and mobo is a bit overkill but... your build is pretty high end :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Drop the ram and motherboard for something cheaper. b350 and 3200mhz ram that doesnt cost an arm and leg

Just now, DocSwag said:

No suggestions, looks good. Naturally ram and mobo is a bit overkill but... your build is pretty high end :P 

The motherboard is but it's $50 off at my local shop so why not? Lol 

The ram was priced the same as the trident z rgb and personally I have enough rgb lol 

1 minute ago, Cl1362 said:

The motherboard is but it's $50 off at my local shop so why not? Lol 

The ram was priced the same as the trident z rgb and personally I have enough rgb lol 

If dats the case then... looks good!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, tp95112 said:

Drop the ram and motherboard for something cheaper. b350 and 3200mhz ram that doesnt cost an arm and leg

I use the thermal take p3 case so all of my components are visible so looks matter a bit since it's always visible. Any suggestions ?

I use the thermal take p3 case so all of my components are visible so looks matter a bit since it's always visible. Any suggestions ?

If it's for asethetic reasons then go for it.  I personally dont like spending the same amount on the motherboard as the cpu

Yeah don't spend a ton of money on a Crosshair X370 motherboard. The lower-end X370 models and even B350s if you won't use SLI are very much fine for Ryzen which is not power hungry, and whatever features you lose are low-impact and are balanced by the money saved.

Edit: you already own Kraken X52 nvm

Also Dominator Platinum RAM is not better in any way than cheaper, same speed RAM of other brands. Grab Corsair Vengeance LED or LPX, or G.Skill TridentZ or Ripjaws 5

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Yeah don't spend a ton of money on a Crosshair X370 motherboard. The lower-end X370 models and even B350s if you won't use SLI are very much fine for Ryzen which is not power hungry, and whatever features you lose are low-impact and are balanced by the money saved.

Oh and the Kraken X61 is higher performance and similar price compared to the X52, the only thing missing is RGB but it's got blue LEDs.

Also Dominator Platinum RAM is not better in any way than cheaper, same speed RAM of other brands. Grab Corsair Vengeance LED or LPX, or G.Skill TridentZ or Ripjaws 5

The reason for the motherboard is the same price as the taichi with a lot of the futures and looks of it

Ascetics matter a bit since it's an open style case 

Just now, Cl1362 said:

The reason for the motherboard is the same price as the taichi with a lot of the futures and looks of it

Ascetics matter a bit since it's an open style case 

If you like the way it looks, go for it.

Maybe pick up Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM which should cost a bit less and has RGBz

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Would the x370 gaming pro carbon or x370 taichi ax370 gaming 5 or prime x370-pro or cross hair vi hero be best ? 

All within $50 of each other 

12 minutes ago, Cl1362 said:

Would the x370 gaming pro carbon or x370 taichi ax370 gaming 5 or prime x370-pro or cross hair vi hero be best ? 

All within $50 of each other 

Taichi has better vrms than crosshair vi but crosshair looks nicer imo.

I would probably say crosshair, it's a nice all around board and vrms should be good enough. The pro carbon kinda sucks except for the rgb part and k5 is ok but not on the same tier as ch6 or Taichi.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I suggest the Ryzen 7 1700x if you can afford it, you should get it since your deal on the motherboard is extremely cheap

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

I would get some faster ram, 3200 is nice, 3600 is great if you can get to that speed on your chip 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

8 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

I would get some faster ram, 3200 is nice, 3600 is great if you can get to that speed on your chip 

Some of the ram for ryzen won't go over 3200 from what I've heard....Is that not true ?

The 1700 and the 1700x re the same just factory over clocked and I can do that myself 

Some of the ram for ryzen won't go over 3200 from what I've heard....Is that not true ?

The 1700 and the 1700x re the same just factory over clocked and I can do that myself 

check the ryzen ram guide in my sig - I can run 3333mhz on my board with no bclk o/c and it isn't Samsung b die. Seriously read the guide I did it may help

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 hour ago, stealth80 said:

check the ryzen ram guide in my sig - I can run 3333mhz on my board with no bclk o/c and it isn't Samsung b die. Seriously read the guide I did it may help

Thanks. I'll def check it out. I forgot thermal paste FML now I gotta wait ugh lol 

Any suggestions on thermal paste 

3 hours ago, Cl1362 said:

Thanks. I'll def check it out. I forgot thermal paste FML now I gotta wait ugh lol 

Any suggestions on thermal paste 

Arctic cooling MX5

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol