Removing a GPU off of the PCB

WunderWuffle

Is it possible to remove a 6800 GT GPU off of the PCB without breaking the whole video card? 

TBYBWyY.jpg

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Why would you do that ?

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Stick a knife under it and jam it off (gently of course). I've done it with my 7300GS (that is now a keychain) :D

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

You can if you have a really nice Reflow gun (crap ones go for $200) but other than that no it's not possible.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Why would you do that ?

Well, I want to make a GPU keychain... Im not going to be using it anyways.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

just heat it up and remove it. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Fair enough, i am currently doing that with an intel duo (So difficult to get the pins off)

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Here's mine :D

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/46264-a-key-ring-from-old-gpu/page-2

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Just use a blow torch on the back of the card and hold it upside down.

Does someone want to make me a Titan necklace? :P

To the topic: If you're gently enough and heat it up it should come off.

144Hz goodness

Imma try to heat it up with a torch. One sec, I'll tell you guys the results in about 5 minutes.

Imma try to heat it up with a torch. One sec, I'll tell you guys the results in about 5 minutes.

You can do that if you're pedantic otherwise just pull it off. My 2 cents.

osu! profile

You can do that if you're pedantic otherwise just pull it off. My 2 cents.

I dont think a knife can go through solder... I'll try it if the torch method doesn't work though.

I dont think a knife can go through solder... I'll try it if the torch method doesn't work though.

I've done it, so it's possible :P

osu! profile

Someday i will make a keychain out of my GPU :)

I have many friends who have done it so it should work fine and the tutorials listed above are very good.

Just use a blow torch on the back of the card and hold it upside down.

Well, I've been doing that, and that hasn't worked... At leat not yet. Im going to try the knife method now.

It works but doesn't look at good

You could bake it.

This is really for soldering on SMD parts and fixing cold joints, I've made a reflow oven before but they suck and a blow torch does the same for making a key chain out of it anyways plus your oven will likely smell terrible because of the plastic on the connector and the solder melting.

Well, I've been doing that, and that hasn't worked... At leat not yet. Im going to try the knife method now.

The board has to be evenly hot and above 600F.

When my 465 blows up, I'm going to hang it on the wall

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

The board has to be evenly hot and above 600F.

Oh... Imma try it again later...