Case Fans

xXCapAwesomeXx
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
On 7/3/2017 at 9:35 PM, Daniel Z. said:

NF-S12B's don't have high static pressure and would get choked out at the front of the Evolv.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:55 PM, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

Ok, but what about the layout I had.

It's fine. The H100i will either have to be loud or need to fans to perform well due to how restricted the top of the case is.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:31 PM, Daniel Z. said:

1. get 140mms they are wayyyy quieter

On 7/3/2017 at 10:00 PM, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

Would that do better than the 3 120mm fans

140mm's can be better or worse depending on the 120/140mm's in question. There aren't any 140mm's that are literally just scaled up versions of 120mm's in every dimension. There are aspects that change like relative thickness being less since it's often 25mm for both sizes and results in static pressure not scaling as well when going to 140mm.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:59 PM, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

ML's are good if you want good performance and don't need very quiet fans. They're not rgb and there are other good fans available though.

Are you not looking for rgb fans anymore?

On 7/3/2017 at 10:07 PM, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

@Mooshi Ok I am mainly focused on trying to get equal or positive pressure as best as possible

2 hours ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

3 120's take up more space and that would leave me with negative airflow

Positive/negative airflow is just a matter of fan speeds. You can just run your intakes at higher speed than your exhausts.

On 7/3/2017 at 10:09 PM, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

- 140 is way quieter than 120 when shuffling the same amount of air. Always. Discussion ends here. Period.

No, 140mm's aren't always quieter. NF-S12A's for example are 120mm's that push as much or more air than many 140mm's while being quieter. Smaller fans tend to be more efficient when it comes to performance for noise but there's a sweet spot that results from how many 120mm/140mm's can fit in most case designs that favors 140mm's. An example is how very few cases support 2 rows of 120mm's as opposed to 1 row of 120m/140mm. 

1 hour ago, Lethalmonk said:

https://gyazo.com/064979677d3492a1a60f36fd6e905262

Cheesy drawing but u will want SP for any space restriced ( locations where the fan has a thick dust filter or barely any space to suck in where it is intaking, and airflow when the fan has a clear and open path to suck in air (usually exhaust cuz its sucking in from the entire case and dust have a dust filter because..... it is pushing out air. Radiators will need SP

Not sure what the drawing is showing but it doesn't seem to be accurate. No air comes out of the hub of the fan.

Static pressure is better shown with gradients of pressure with higher density representing more pressure. The cone of airflow being more or less focused isn't the same as static pressure.

Here's a visualization from superiorgamingtech: https://superiorgamingtech.com/air-flow-vs-static-pressure-fans-choosing-between-the-two

and from ComputerForum.de's Youtube video: 

These are different fans with different effects being visualized such as Noctua's Focus Flow technology focusing the smoke but the gradient of smoke is a good visualization of static pressure.

maxresdefault.jpg

2 minutes ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

For the front intake on the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, what would be recomended, Static pressure fans or air flow fans.

I would have the front drive cages removed

Thanks

I forgot which website or which video I saw, but SP fans are almost always much more recommended than AF. Don't ask me why but at least that is what I remember.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

8 minutes ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

For the front intake on the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, what would be recomended, Static pressure fans or air flow fans.

I would have the front drive cages removed

Thanks

Static Pressure would be best because of the restricted Nature of it. I have this very case and noticed a good 15-20c difference in CPU and GPU temps with and without the original front panel on. My solution was I bought https://mnpctech.com/phanteks-case-mods/phanteks-primo-front-grill-en/evolv-vented-front-panel.html from @Mnpctech and have loved it since. 

Soon I will also be buying a new custom top cover for the case from ModMyMods

https://modmymods.com/phanteks-enthoo-evolv-atx-replacement-top-cover-air-flow-mod-black.html

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I'd recommend not buying that line of case because they're notorious for having very restricted intake in the front. If you have it already, a good quality SP fan is definitely required for front intake.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

6 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Static Pressure would be best because of the restricted Nature of it. I have this very case and noticed a good 15-20c difference in CPU and GPU temps with and without the original front panel on. My solution was I bought https://mnpctech.com/phanteks-case-mods/phanteks-primo-front-grill-en/evolv-vented-front-panel.html from @Mnpctech and have loved it since. 

Soon I will also be buying a new custom top cover for the case from ModMyMods

https://modmymods.com/phanteks-enthoo-evolv-atx-replacement-top-cover-air-flow-mod-black.html

That replacement front panel looks hella nice

Just now, Mooshi said:

That replacement front panel looks hella nice

indeed it is. The case is hella sexy AF, but as stated is horrible for air flow which I found out the hard way :( So I did some searching and have bought from mcpctech before so I know they do great work and found this. Ordered it immediately and have not regretted it since. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

i put SP on intake and AF on exhaust. works well for me and aircooling.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

18 minutes ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

Fine do 120 then but why are you really asking for help then? It shouldn't be too hard, get however many really good 120s you need, and a LED strip. Do not get LED fans though, the ones that work really good, or sync with Asus auroras, those are hella expensive.

I'd recommend something like the be quiet silent wings 3, they are pricey, but if you really want the best air flow, there you go. Or maybe the noctua ones, they are ugly as hell, but some of the best.

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

26 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

indeed it is. The case is hella sexy AF, but as stated is horrible for air flow which I found out the hard way :( So I did some searching and have bought from mcpctech before so I know they do great work and found this. Ordered it immediately and have not regretted it since. 

But you are paying another 80 bucks on a 170 dollars case 

4 minutes ago, Colin Donoghue said:

But you are paying another 80 bucks on a 170 dollars case 

Yes, I know. And it sucks. Its a great case other than its lack of air flow. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

064979677d3492a1a60f36fd6e905262.png

Cheesy drawing but u will want SP for any space restriced ( locations where the fan has a thick dust filter or barely any space to suck in where it is intaking, and airflow when the fan has a clear and open path to suck in air (usually exhaust cuz its sucking in from the entire case and dust have a dust filter because..... it is pushing out air. Radiators will need SP

On 7/3/2017 at 9:35 PM, Daniel Z. said:

NF-S12B's don't have high static pressure and would get choked out at the front of the Evolv.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:55 PM, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

Ok, but what about the layout I had.

It's fine. The H100i will either have to be loud or need to fans to perform well due to how restricted the top of the case is.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:31 PM, Daniel Z. said:

1. get 140mms they are wayyyy quieter

On 7/3/2017 at 10:00 PM, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

Would that do better than the 3 120mm fans

140mm's can be better or worse depending on the 120/140mm's in question. There aren't any 140mm's that are literally just scaled up versions of 120mm's in every dimension. There are aspects that change like relative thickness being less since it's often 25mm for both sizes and results in static pressure not scaling as well when going to 140mm.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:59 PM, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

ML's are good if you want good performance and don't need very quiet fans. They're not rgb and there are other good fans available though.

Are you not looking for rgb fans anymore?

On 7/3/2017 at 10:07 PM, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

@Mooshi Ok I am mainly focused on trying to get equal or positive pressure as best as possible

2 hours ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

Positive/negative airflow is just a matter of fan speeds. You can just run your intakes at higher speed than your exhausts.

On 7/3/2017 at 10:09 PM, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

- 140 is way quieter than 120 when shuffling the same amount of air. Always. Discussion ends here. Period.

No, 140mm's aren't always quieter. NF-S12A's for example are 120mm's that push as much or more air than many 140mm's while being quieter. Smaller fans tend to be more efficient when it comes to performance for noise but there's a sweet spot that results from how many 120mm/140mm's can fit in most case designs that favors 140mm's. An example is how very few cases support 2 rows of 120mm's as opposed to 1 row of 120m/140mm. 

1 hour ago, Lethalmonk said:

Not sure what the drawing is showing but it doesn't seem to be accurate. No air comes out of the hub of the fan.

Static pressure is better shown with gradients of pressure with higher density representing more pressure. The cone of airflow being more or less focused isn't the same as static pressure.

Here's a visualization from superiorgamingtech: https://superiorgamingtech.com/air-flow-vs-static-pressure-fans-choosing-between-the-two

and from ComputerForum.de's Youtube video: 

These are different fans with different effects being visualized such as Noctua's Focus Flow technology focusing the smoke but the gradient of smoke is a good visualization of static pressure.

maxresdefault.jpg

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

you are right

I hereby rephrase my statement

before:

after:

- 140 is way quieter than 120 when shuffling the same amount of air and using common sense in your brain. Always. Discussion ends here. Period.

4 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

you are right

I hereby rephrase my statement

before:

after:

- 140 is way quieter than 120 when shuffling the same amount of air and using common sense in your brain. Always. Discussion ends here. Period.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. It seems like you're saying that common sense is wrong--which is often true.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at. It seems like you're saying that common sense is wrong--which is often true.

nope my first statement you replied to to read as follows:

140 is way quieter than 120 when shuffling the same amount of air. Always. Discussion ends here. Period.

and I hereby changed it to this:

140 is way quieter than 120 when shuffling the same amount of air and using common sense in your brain. Always. Discussion ends here. Period.

meaning 140 is quieter when applying common sense meaning: comparable speeds and m³ of air moved.

Just now, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

nope my first statement you replied to to read as follows:

140 is way quieter than 120 when shuffling the same amount of air. Always. Discussion ends here. Period.

and I hereby changed it to this:

140 is way quieter than 120 when shuffling the same amount of air and using common sense in your brain. Always. Discussion ends here. Period.

meaning 140 is quieter when applying common sense meaning: comparable speeds and m³ of air moved.

What are you referring to with 'comparable speeds'? Do you mean air velocity, rpm, or something else?

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

What are you referring to with 'comparable speeds'? Do you mean air velocity, rpm, or something else?

yeahhh... whatever - nobody will read this anymore anyway so I generally don't care. I think you get perfectly fine where I was going with this. so please apply common sense once more :-)

2 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

yeahhh... whatever - nobody will read this anymore anyway so I generally don't care. I think you get perfectly fine where I was going with this. so please apply common sense once more :-)

Common sense doesn't change reality. There are 120mm's that push as much air or more than 140mm's while being quieter.

NF-S12A's vs NF-A14's are an example: 

http://noctua.at/en/nf-s12a-flx/specification

http://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-flx/specification

When noise levels are matched, NF-S12A's push more air.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Common sense doesn't change reality. There are 120mm's that push as much air or more than 140mm's while being quieter.

NF-S12A's vs NF-A14's are an example: 

http://noctua.at/en/nf-s12a-flx/specification

http://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-flx/specification

dude - calm down - it's fans we are talking about - not rocket sience

(and just to have it said: in your above comparison the 140 will still be better since they tend to last longer, when one got the space to use them why not do it - bet you are triggert now ...  :-))

4 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

dude - calm down - it's fans we are talking about - not rocket sience

(and just to have it said: in your above comparison the 140 will still be better since they tend to last longer, when one got the space to use them why not do it - bet you are triggert now finally :-))

Where'd you get the idea that they last longer?

I'm guessing 140mm's probably don't--the longer fan blades would experience more stress at the edges and stress the impeller more over time. A Noctua rep explains a bit about it here: 

I don't like misconceptions being spread and I'm wondering where you got your ideas from.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

*snip*

From my own experience (with Noctua fans by the way). the 120s died after only 5 years of more or less nonstop usage and got replaced (again by noctuas) which are running for about 3 years by now. the 140s I got the same time as the 120s still run today without any trouble. Granted, Noctua is pretty much on the upper end when it comes to off the shelf fans for consumers, got no experience with other brands besides hearing them getting replaced after not that many years by friends and family. I guess I like the ugliness of their brand...

But 140s lasting longer than 120s seems logical to me besides my personal experience, lower RPM equals less stress on the fans components (and I don't think that the extra blade length matters more in this case). again - common sense. No matter what some marketing clip wants to tell the "enthusiast user" :-)

On 7/5/2017 at 4:46 AM, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

From my own experience (with Noctua fans by the way). the 120s died after only 5 years of more or less nonstop usage and got replaced (again by noctuas) which are running for about 3 years by now. the 140s I got the same time as the 120s still run today without any trouble. Granted, Noctua is pretty much on the upper end when it comes to off the shelf fans for consumers, got no experience with other brands besides hearing them getting replaced after not that many years by friends and family. I guess I like the ugliness of their brand...

But 140s lasting longer than 120s seems logical to me besides my personal experience, lower RPM equals less stress on the fans components (and I don't think that the extra blade length matters more in this case). again - common sense. No matter what some marketing clip wants to tell the "enthusiast user" :-)

Unless you're running a large batch of fans, that's a very small sample size. 

140mm's aren't inherently lower rpm than 120mm's. The NF-S12A and NF-A14 linked above are both rated at 1200rpm.

Unlike the video, common sense doesn't explain anything. 

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Unless you're running a large batch of fans, that's a very small sample size. 

140mm's aren't inherently lower rpm than 120mm's. The NF-S12A and NF-A14 linked above are both rated at 1200rpm.

Unlike the video, common sense doesn't explain anything. 

just because they are rated at 1200 doesn't mean they run at max all time. again, the common sense part.

You try to proof something that in theory is working as you say. but then again there is the real world ...

lets agree to disagree then because I get bored.