Case Fans

xXCapAwesomeXx
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
On 7/3/2017 at 9:35 PM, Daniel Z. said:

NF-S12B's don't have high static pressure and would get choked out at the front of the Evolv.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:55 PM, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

Ok, but what about the layout I had.

It's fine. The H100i will either have to be loud or need to fans to perform well due to how restricted the top of the case is.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:31 PM, Daniel Z. said:

1. get 140mms they are wayyyy quieter

On 7/3/2017 at 10:00 PM, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

Would that do better than the 3 120mm fans

140mm's can be better or worse depending on the 120/140mm's in question. There aren't any 140mm's that are literally just scaled up versions of 120mm's in every dimension. There are aspects that change like relative thickness being less since it's often 25mm for both sizes and results in static pressure not scaling as well when going to 140mm.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:59 PM, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

ML's are good if you want good performance and don't need very quiet fans. They're not rgb and there are other good fans available though.

Are you not looking for rgb fans anymore?

On 7/3/2017 at 10:07 PM, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

@Mooshi Ok I am mainly focused on trying to get equal or positive pressure as best as possible

2 hours ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

3 120's take up more space and that would leave me with negative airflow

Positive/negative airflow is just a matter of fan speeds. You can just run your intakes at higher speed than your exhausts.

On 7/3/2017 at 10:09 PM, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

- 140 is way quieter than 120 when shuffling the same amount of air. Always. Discussion ends here. Period.

No, 140mm's aren't always quieter. NF-S12A's for example are 120mm's that push as much or more air than many 140mm's while being quieter. Smaller fans tend to be more efficient when it comes to performance for noise but there's a sweet spot that results from how many 120mm/140mm's can fit in most case designs that favors 140mm's. An example is how very few cases support 2 rows of 120mm's as opposed to 1 row of 120m/140mm. 

1 hour ago, Lethalmonk said:

https://gyazo.com/064979677d3492a1a60f36fd6e905262

Cheesy drawing but u will want SP for any space restriced ( locations where the fan has a thick dust filter or barely any space to suck in where it is intaking, and airflow when the fan has a clear and open path to suck in air (usually exhaust cuz its sucking in from the entire case and dust have a dust filter because..... it is pushing out air. Radiators will need SP

Not sure what the drawing is showing but it doesn't seem to be accurate. No air comes out of the hub of the fan.

Static pressure is better shown with gradients of pressure with higher density representing more pressure. The cone of airflow being more or less focused isn't the same as static pressure.

Here's a visualization from superiorgamingtech: https://superiorgamingtech.com/air-flow-vs-static-pressure-fans-choosing-between-the-two

and from ComputerForum.de's Youtube video: 

These are different fans with different effects being visualized such as Noctua's Focus Flow technology focusing the smoke but the gradient of smoke is a good visualization of static pressure.

maxresdefault.jpg

I am looking for some case fans to go in the front of the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv. I need at least 3 120mm fans that are preferably RGB and work with Asus Aura Sync and are also not overpriced. I have been looking at at the Corsair HD RGB fans and was wondering if that was a good choice, Thanks for the feedback!!

2. get LED strips separately and get fans separately

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case Fan: Noctua - NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.7 CFM  140mm Fan  ($14.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.7 CFM  140mm Fan  ($14.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $29.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-04 00:32 EDT-0400

Just now, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

I wanted three fans in the front of the Enthoo Evolv, that is the reason for the 120's

2 140mms will provide similar performance. Whatever

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case Fan: Noctua - NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM 59.1 CFM  120mm Fan  ($13.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM 59.1 CFM  120mm Fan  ($13.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $41.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-04 00:34 EDT-0400

I'd sell the Evolv and get a case that isn't starving for air. Those poor fans are going to need an inhaler to breath.

22 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

2. get LED strips separately and get fans separately

I second this, LED fans usually suck unless you spend alot on them.

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

If Jay from Jayz2Cents had heating issuea in the Evolv with a full on custom loop, I have concern for an AIO set up with rgb fans. I've yet to see an led fan have the same characteristics of a nice engineered fan.

Just now, OnionRings said:

LED fans usually suck

4 minutes ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

My plan is to have 3 x 120mm intake fans in the front, a corsair h100i v2 exhaust  on the top and an exhaust fan in the back

Hd120 won't work with asus aura, get inwin aurora or cooler master rgb fans.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

Is this a good cooling setup though?? @Mooshi @Daniel Z.

Better to get two 140mm fans on the front.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

4 minutes ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

Would that do better than the 3 120mm fans

It can be quiter, I personally don't see any harm in 3 120's though. 

I would listen to these guys here :-)

- 140 is way quieter than 120 when shuffling the same amount of air. Always. Discussion ends here. Period.

- 2x 140 are most likely better than 3x120. Though there will be no harm in 3x120.

- keep fans and RGB separate because RGB fans generally suck (and by suck I don't mean air).

If you want to really get RGB fans get decent ones like already suggested get inwin aurora or cooler master rgb fans.

8 minutes ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

My plan is to have 3 x 120mm intake fans in the front, a corsair h100i v2 exhaust  on the top and an exhaust fan in the bac

you want to read up on what positive pressure is and how to achieve it. to make things short: make sure you got more airflow incoming that whats going out.

I'm sorry but lets face it: the case you got pretty much sucks when it comes to temperatures

and finally - asking the same question in different phrases 10 times doesn't help your cause.

What other cases would you recommend for around the same price

none :-) - I always recommend the fractal design define r5 but it's not the same price because it's a lot cheaper...

you will also have no need for rgb-front-fans-since you can't see them anyway - hey! problem solved....

I guess this is where I get kinda picky about looks, I want it to look more modern but I guess you cant really help me there. I was wondering about maybe puting spacers of some sort on the top and/or front panels of the evolv and seeing if that improved airflow at all. @ItsTheDuckAgain

I guess this is where I get kinda picky about looks, I want it to look more modern but I guess you cant really help me there. I was wondering about maybe puting spacers of some sort on the top and/or front panels of the evolv and seeing if that improved airflow at all. @ItsTheDuckAgain

nope sorry. I like clean, minimalstic and industrial looks, modern not so much.

no idea about the spacer idea other than that I wouldn't. If the case doesn't do what you want it to do it's the wrong case.

15 hours ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

I think you should listen to Daniel Z and get 140mms instead, 2 140mms in the front takes the same space as 3 120s, and since its 2 fans it will be quieter and also cheaper. Then just put 1 in the back for exhaust and 1 on the top, or w/e you were gonna do on the top, you said you had an AIO right?

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB