PC Build Plan-First Time Build

Hello! So these are the parts I have chosen so far: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Knichtus/saved/9XVCJx

So this is definitely going to be my first computer build, I've been planning a few years to make one, originally I was going to make a gaming pc which would be much cheaper, however I am a 3D Modeling and Game Design student and that means i often work in maya, photoshop, 3dsmax, unreal, and I'm also planning to explore cry engine. So I instead started making a build suited for this pursuit since i've been doing everything on a Asus ROG laptop for the past few years and would like something much, much beefier that can tackle both.

The reason there is no CPU cooler is because I've also been looking into watercooling, which I've already priced with EKWB, which is not included with this as I'm still making the decision how far down the line am I going to do that. Since I might go air cooling initially while I save up for all the watercooling parts. Also I couldn't help but want a rgb themed build.

I would definitely appreciate some feedback, maybe where I can cut costs or get a better bang for the buck, or other rgb shenanigans. I've been tweaking this build for a few months. For me this is worth the investment since I've been wanting to make my own custom pc for a long time.

What Id personally change:

2x16gb memory its more stable on ryzen.

1700 instead of 1800x

A seasonic PSU 620w+ or 750+ if you plan to SLI.

GTX 1070 strix if you want to save a little cash.

Also custom watercooling isnt worth it IMO, id get a AIO 240mm rad.

I would get a SATA ssd instead of m.2 and with the money u can save from that you an get a 1080ti. Also unless you plan on doing sli in the future you only need 600w or so. Also you could go with a 1700x instead of the 1800x they should both oc the same and both should be able to run 3600 mhz ram. You might wanna wait a little to see if the ryzen pro cpu's have better memory controllers. And if you are not super set on that mobo the x370 taichi has a better vrm and as am4 will be in use for a few years having the best vrm atm will make it so u don't have to upgrade later on when getting a newer am4 cpu.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r3m6f8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r3m6f8/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor  ($349.78 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($193.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($401.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($178.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - IronWolf Pro 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($259.49 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB POSEIDON Video Card  ($864.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake - Core X9 ATX Desktop Case  ($139.19 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Asus - MG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($479.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2968.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-03 23:47 EDT-0400.

That gpu has had one the highest oc and it had a waterblock on it already so would only need the cpu. And that mobo is $40 cheaper with a better vrm.

50 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

What Id personally change:

2x16gb memory its more stable on ryzen.

1700 instead of 1800x

A seasonic PSU 620w+ or 750+ if you plan to SLI.

GTX 1070 strix if you want to save a little cash.

Also custom watercooling isnt worth it IMO, id get a AIO 240mm rad.

Thanks! I think I won't skimp on the graphics card, I don't think im gonna SLI initially, the reason I was looking into watercooling was because I was very interested in attempting it as a project. And I also live in Texas which my room is fairly hot, but mainly for the cool factor. But I think your right, I might just go for an AIO cooler intially.

52 minutes ago, cowpker4life said:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r3m6f8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r3m6f8/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor  ($349.78 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($193.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($401.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($178.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - IronWolf Pro 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($259.49 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB POSEIDON Video Card  ($864.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake - Core X9 ATX Desktop Case  ($139.19 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Asus - MG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($479.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2968.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-03 23:47 EDT-0400.

That gpu has had one the highest oc and it had a waterblock on it already so would only need the cpu. And that mobo is $40 cheaper with a better vrm.

Oooh thanks for the input! Especially with the Mobo, Im still almost set on the Asus because I really do love the brand but I'm going to look into that more. For the graphics card I am gonna wait a bit to see if the gaming AMD Vegas are any good for the price but otherwise taking your advice on the 1080 ti.

22 hours ago, Knichtus said:

Oooh thanks for the input! Especially with the Mobo, Im still almost set on the Asus because I really do love the brand but I'm going to look into that more. For the graphics card I am gonna wait a bit to see if the gaming AMD Vegas are any good for the price but otherwise taking your advice on the 1080 ti.

If you are going with an asus gpu then get an asus mobo for the aruo sync or wtv they call it if having in sync rgb and stuff matters for you that mobo is still top tier just the Taichi has the best vrm on the down side it dosnt have support for on bored video but the r3 r5 and r7 don't have on bored video anyways also when spending $200 on a mobo no point in using a cheap cpu and on bored graphics really.  Also if you get that gpu there is a case that has the infitiny rgb on the front off the case it's from inwin but forget the name of it. Has crappy air flow tho and idk if a water loop would fit in it to well but dif would want an aio or waterloop if it fits.

2 hours ago, cowpker4life said:

If you are going with an asus gpu then get an asus mobo for the aruo sync or wtv they call it if having in sync rgb and stuff matters for you that mobo is still top tier just the Taichi has the best vrm on the down side it dosnt have support for on bored video but the r3 r5 and r7 don't have on bored video anyways also when spending $200 on a mobo no point in using a cheap cpu and on bored graphics really.  Also if you get that gpu there is a case that has the infitiny rgb on the front off the case it's from inwin but forget the name of it. Has crappy air flow tho and idk if a water loop would fit in it to well but dif would want an aio or waterloop if it fits.

I saw the inwin case but im sticking with the X9 for size and airflow (I personally like cube cases since corsair carbide air 740 was my other choice). As much as I love that inwin case its the one thing i won't compromise on is good airflow initially as I work on getting watercooling parts.

37 minutes ago, Knichtus said:

I saw the inwin case but im sticking with the X9 for size and airflow (I personally like cube cases since corsair carbide air 740 was my other choice). As much as I love that inwin case its the one thing i won't compromise on is good airflow initially as I work on getting watercooling parts.

Okay. Fair enough. Go with the Asus mobo tho for sure if you are getting an asus gpu also jayz2cents has a review of the 1080ti posedion. The reason why get asus for both is really just to have the rgb snyc up and not use as much software. The Taichi dosnt have much for rgb tbink it just has blue leds on the chip set idk if it can chage color or not. If you do go for a custom waterloop and it's hardline get a ton of extra just incase and give your self a week or so for it. Imo waterloop look best hardline with a deacnt ammount of tubing some that have almost none look kinda empty at times.

The memory is not on the motherboard's memory QVL. Nor is the motherboard on the memory kit's QVL. Corsair - Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666  should work as the 8x8GB version is on the motherboard's QVL for all four slots. It's also a better priced kit.

The motherboard QVL does list two G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4-3200 kits, but those have yet to be released according to a post in the G.Skill forums.

Consider an 80+ Gold psu. There are a number of excellent quality 750W psu that will help reduce overall cost: Corsair RMx, EVGA G2 & G3 are three such.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2017 at 1:54 AM, brob said:

The memory is not on the motherboard's memory QVL. Nor is the motherboard on the memory kit's QVL. Corsair - Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666  should work as the 8x8GB version is on the motherboard's QVL for all four slots. It's also a better priced kit.

The motherboard QVL does list two G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4-3200 kits, but those have yet to be released according to a post in the G.Skill forums.

Consider an 80+ Gold psu. There are a number of excellent quality 750W psu that will help reduce overall cost: Corsair RMx, EVGA G2 & G3 are three such.

I did actually ask question would that memory work with that board, which it does! There is no issue with that, though I may still consider that ram.