Acceptable CPU temps?

Go to solution Solved by ltguy,
Just now, edwbob said:

I tried both. In the end i limited to 60fps, the cap of my monitor. it got a little better, but still about 50c

I mean you want your cpu as cool as possible but its really a non issue.. anything below 70 is nothing to worry about.

I was playing CSGO for about fifteen minutes, and my cpu got up to 60c. Is this ok? just wanted to make sure because i am running an i7-7700 with a stock cooler. Thanks!

That is fine, but the stock cooler must be awfully loud.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

What are your idle temperatures like?

That's a little warm for the time but not really out of the ordinary. With a stock cooler I wouldn't worry about it.

Those are fine. But as @MegaDave91 said the cooler must be loud? If you want another one, then may I recommend the 212 eve/led. Seeing as its summer too then that makes it seem even better. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Just now, RawLobster said:

What are your idle temperatures like?

That's a little warm for the time but not really out of the ordinary. With a stock cooler I wouldn't worry about it.

idle temps are from about 39-45 (NZXT CAM software). I thought it was a little warm also

Does seem high for cs go... does that use more than 8% cpu usage.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Just now, fixitnow said:

Those are fine. But as @MegaDave91 said the cooler must be loud? If you want another one, then may I recommend the 212 eve/led. Seeing as its summer too then that makes it seem even better. 

Ive been thinking about it... I might have to later in the month. I live in a place where one week it was between 103-110 degrees midday!

Just now, ltguy said:

Does seem high for cs go... does that use more than 8% cpu usage.

It was using about 21-25 percent.

1 minute ago, edwbob said:

It was using about 21-25 percent.

Are you limiting the frame rate or is it running away at 300fps?

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Just now, edwbob said:

Ive been thinking about it... I might have to later in the month. I live in a place where one week it was between 103-110 degrees midday!

Yeah, with high ambient temperatures, stock cooler (and not knowing your case/fan config) that sounds pretty normal. A cooler like the Hyper 212 is well worth it, and it'll drop your temps and noise considerably.

Just now, ltguy said:

Are you limiting the frame rate or is it running away at 300fps.

I tried both. In the end i limited to 60fps, the cap of my monitor. it got a little better, but still about 50c

Just now, edwbob said:

Assuming that fahrenheit. I bought one as the weather in England is as reliable as the daily mail, HAHAHAHAAH. Thats for another time though. You need to keep an eye not the 212 led too, it was cheaper then the evo when I bought mine, for some reason. 

Just now, RawLobster said:

Yeah, with high ambient temperatures, stock cooler (and not knowing your case/fan config) that sounds pretty normal. A cooler like the Hyper 212 is well worth it, and it'll drop your temps and noise considerably.

Alright, thanks

Just now, fixitnow said:

Assuming that fahrenheit. I bought one as the weather in England is as reliable as the daily mail, HAHAHAHAAH. Thats for another time though. You need to keep an eye not the 212 led too, it was cheaper then the evo when I bought mine, for some reason. 

It is fahrenheit. the 212 sounds like a good option

Just now, edwbob said:

I mean you want your cpu as cool as possible but its really a non issue.. anything below 70 is nothing to worry about.

The CPU would throttle and then stop before it actually died of heat anyway.

Just now, fixitnow said:

The CPU would throttle and then stop before it actually died of heat anyway.

ya i know. I just am not able to replace the cpu for prbly about four years or so, and want to keep it alive as long as i can

1 minute ago, edwbob said:

ya i know. I just am not able to replace the cpu for prbly about four years or so, and want to keep it alive as long as i can

Fair enough. As silly as sounds one way to not notice or fret about temps is not to look. Worked wonders in my case, pun intended xD 

Edited by fixitnow
I can't spell

1 minute ago, fixitnow said:

Fair enough. As silly as sounds one way to not notice or fret about temps is not to look. Worked wonders in my case, pun intended xD 

haha. they do say ignorance is bliss, so thats a valid point. Thanks for all the feedback