Can two STRIX 1080 Tis SLI cool themselves?

Austin Borg

HI!

I'm wanting to get a SLI set up with two GTX 1080 Tis since they are the best card for their price (in comparison to the Titan X, Titan X(Pascal) and NVIDIA Marketed Titan Xp

Wondering if I need some EK Water Blocks or if two fans will do! thanks!

1 minute ago, Austin Borg said:

HI!

I'm wanting to get a SLI set up with two GTX 1080 Tis since they are the best card for their price (in comparison to the Titan X, Titan X(Pascal) and NVIDIA Marketed Titan Xp

Wondering if I need some EK Water Blocks or if two fans will do! thanks!

for Comparison I have 2 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X cards air cooled in SLI in my rig and have no issues with cooling. You should be just fine with air cooling as long as you have at least 1 slot between them. If they are sandwiched together, then you will have problems with airflow and cooling them. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

The top card may be starved for air, depending on the PCIe slot layout, but they should be fine otherwise.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Hey,

It is likely to be subjective to the lay out of the motherboard however Asus' cooling is often incredebly good and my single 1080 doesn't really run its fans at all, even when it is 27o ambient so even if they are too close they should still be quite cool and quiet, even if you have to kick up the fans a little bit

Hope this helps,

TT

It's a big card, so before buying 2 of them make sure your case and motherboard has the correct spacing and all that. I have one and the pcie that can be used for a second card is blocked by the huge heatsink. It's mATX, sure, but be careful and check everything first anyway, you don't want to spend all that money and not be able to use them.

As for cooling, I have a custom fan curve so I can maintain the core clock at 2GHz without any drops at full load, it reaches max 65C. At default, without extra overclocking, the fan curve is VERY nice. I have my PC sitting at less than half a meter at all times and I couldn't hear it spinning over the other fans on my case, and the temperatures are low enough for you to simply forget about it (about 67C). But with 2, it would be nice if you could have a good amount of space between them, two fans supplying fresh air for both and maybe you have to adjust the fans to a higher RPM since inevitably the one on the bottom will make a difference. People have different tastes, and some tolerate noise more than others. Personally I get annoyed a little bit (only when I'm not using headphones, because if I am I couldn't care less about it) when the fans on the strix reach 70% (that's 2600 RPM) as I am sitting really close to it. But even then, compared to my old PC, it's nothing and should be considered nitpicking. Still, you'll have to play with it to find a balance that works for you. I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase and I doubt you won't be, if you do all this you should be fine.

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //