Choosing a CPU for rendering

Basically im deciding if spending the extra $300 is worth it going from a 4770k to a 4930k.

Its not the best/most current info but its the best I could find, basically using the program I will be using the most to render with people with processors like the Intel Xeon X5680 6core 3,33Ghz (2 processors) (12core/24 threads)(that was what was listed on the benchmark) are getting times of around 30-38 seconds on a test render yet a 4770k got a 52 second, the rendering im doing will be taking anywhere from 20-45 hours roughly, so that time difference could be rather significant when talking such extensive renders correct?

Basically how I see it is this:

12 core: 35 seconds

4 core: 52 seconds

6 core: ~45 seconds?

I guess this thread is really just getting my thoughts into text, but heres the link if anyone is somewhat interested

http://www.abvent.com/support/forum/artlantis-benchmark-please-contribute_f-atl_general_us-13417.html

My current build:

CPU is an AMD 4300 quad core

GPU is a Raedeon 6900

Budget at the moment is undecided, I have $2000 saved but will be working a lot in the next 2 months so could save probably another $1000 rather easily (AUD)

yes u will benefit from that 6 core a great deal if your projects are as large as u say.

yes u will benefit from that 6 core a great deal if your projects are as large as u say.

well i handed in an assignment today that was in total about 2 minutes long the video, took me about 7 days in total of rendering... some of that was renders not working etc but id say 85% of the renders were used in the final video

well i handed in an assignment today that was in total about 2 minutes long the video, took me about 7 days in total of rendering... some of that was renders not working etc but id say 85% of the renders were used in the final video

wow what are u doing exactly and what are your current pc specs?

Yeah current specs and budget would be a great help.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

wow what are u doing exactly and what are your current pc specs?

GPU is a Raedeon 6900

And the assignment was an office block, just adding different materials etc to the exterior making people walk around stuff like that

GPU is a Raedeon 6900

And the assignment was an office block, just adding different materials etc to the exterior making people walk around stuff like that

Radeon 6900 is that the iGPU or a discretet card. 

Well your using a pretty crap processor for it so if you want to go on budget the I'd get an 8350 or for a bit more a 4770K because your not doing super hardcore rendering that would require you to have a socket 2011 processor yet plus both are better for gaming.

AMD:

FX-8350

Gigabye GA-990FXA-UD3

16 GB of whatever ram looks pretty to you

128-256 GB SSD from Samsung or Kingston 

770 or 780 

650-700 Watt PSU from XFX, Corsair, be quiet!, SeaSonic.

A case like the Define R4 etc.

Intel:

Z87 Mpower or Formula or G43 gaming

770 or 780 

Well your using a pretty crap processor for it so if you want to go on budget the I'd get an 8350 or for a bit more a 4770K because your not doing super hardcore rendering that would require you to have a socket 2011 processor yet plus both are better for gaming.

AMD:

FX-8350

Gigabye GA-990FXA-UD3

770 or 780 

Intel:

Z87 Mpower or Formula or G43 gaming

770 or 780 

As for your question with the GPU I have no idea, my cousin just gave me it and he built the computer for me (I had no idea how at the time)

I'll definitely go with an intel build as ive read the programs I'm using perform better on an intel cpu compared to an equivalent AMD.

I have the build mostly planned out was just seeing if the performance increase would be justified with paying the extra couple hundred dollars, I do have to consider this PC will last me the next 5 years of my studying, and I want the computer to be able to last the 5 years without needing major upgrades

The 4770K will definitely last you.

If you want a decent graphics card, you might go with the R9 290. Seems like a good alternative to the 780. Unless you're using CUDA, then obviously 780.

I'll definitely go with an intel build as ive read the programs I'm using perform better on an intel cpu compared to an equivalent AMD.

Which programs exactly are you talking about ?

The FX 8350 will give you more than double the rendering performance of your FX 4300, if any of the programs you use support OpenCL you can use your graphics card to assist in the rendering process as well, that will shave off another 50% of rendering time if not more.

Which programs exactly are you talking about ?

The FX 8350 will give you more than double the rendering performance of your FX 4300, if any of the programs you use support OpenCL you can use your graphics card to assist in the rendering process as well, that will shave off another 50% of rendering time if not more.

The programs im using are modelling programs such Archicad and Revit and then using rendering programs like Lumiun and Artlantis, from what I've been told the real time updates (moving the 3D model around) will take advantage of a better graphics card whilst the render them selves are more CPU reliant, I have also been told by my lecturer and a few other students that Intel CPU's render a lot quicker then an equivalent AMD CPU.

There is also minimal video editing but it only needs to be basic for now, my last assignment I used windows movie maker to piece it together and got top of the class ^_^

The programs im using are modelling programs such Archicad and Revit and then using rendering programs like Lumiun and Artlantis, from what I've been told the real time updates (moving the 3D model around) will take advantage of a better graphics card whilst the render them selves are more CPU reliant, I have also been told by my lecturer and a few other students that Intel CPU's render a lot quicker then an equivalent AMD CPU.

There is also minimal video editing but it only needs to be basic for now, my last assignment I used windows movie maker to piece it together and got top of the class ^_^

That's because Intel has superior single thread performance.

which is why im going intel over AMD ;)

which is why im going intel over AMD ;)

But that doesn't matter, because the programs listed above make use of all available cores, so what actually matters is total throughput and AMD processors have much higher throughput than equivalently priced intels.

The FX 8320 for example has close to double the total performance of the i3 4330.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-4330+%40+3.50GHz&id=2025

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8320+Eight-Core&id=1782

The FX 8320 is also just a drop in replacement for your FX 4300, so you don't need to buy a new motherboard or reformat your computer.

You can clock the FX 8320 to match the 8350 on stock voltage and get significantly better performance, on the other hand the i3 4330 is completely locked.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8350+Eight-Core&id=1780

Your lecturer is probably still stuck in 2006 where single-threaded performance was king, because all commercial processors from both AMD & Intel had the same number of cores.

Now AMD offers processors with 4 modules at the same price-segment as Intel dual-cores.

Benchmarks were few and far in between but I did manage to find a few older ones.

Revit, Archicad & Artlantis all scaled with additional cores, so you should look for total throughput not single-threaded performance.

Lumion depends entirely on GPU performance.

For 3D rendering, an overclocked 8350 should quite easily beat an overclocked 4770k due to the rendering programs being able to very efficiently use architecture of the AMD modules.

It's also much cheaper.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

For 3D rendering, an overclocked 8350 should quite easily beat an overclocked 4770k due to the rendering programs being able to very efficiently use architecture of the AMD modules.

It's also much cheaper.

is that for rendering programs in general or these specific programs?

is that for rendering programs in general or these specific programs?

3d rendering programs in general--not all rendering programs. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

prob like a 3930k of 4930k is best price to preformance 6 core wise,

The extreme eidtions are twice as expensive and have like 5 % more preformance lol

prob like a 3930k of 4930k is best price to preformance 6 core wise,

The extreme eidtions are twice as expensive and have like 5 % more preformance lol

I was suggested to put the build off till early next year, save a little and go with a 4930k build

Think this might be the way to go as I'm now car shopping (thanks to hail storms) and with christmas so close etc it'll just be 1 less thing to worry about

Basically im deciding if spending the extra $300 is worth it going from a 4770k to a 4930k.

Its not the best/most current info but its the best I could find, basically using the program I will be using the most to render with people with processors like the Intel Xeon X5680 6core 3,33Ghz (2 processors) (12core/24 threads)(that was what was listed on the benchmark) are getting times of around 30-38 seconds on a test render yet a 4770k got a 52 second, the rendering im doing will be taking anywhere from 20-45 hours roughly, so that time difference could be rather significant when talking such extensive renders correct?

Basically how I see it is this:

12 core: 35 seconds

4 core: 52 seconds

6 core: ~45 seconds?

I guess this thread is really just getting my thoughts into text, but heres the link if anyone is somewhat interested

http://www.abvent.com/support/forum/artlantis-benchmark-please-contribute_f-atl_general_us-13417.html

My current build:

GPU is a Raedeon 6900

Budget at the moment is undecided, I have $2000 saved but will be working a lot in the next 2 months so could save probably another $1000 rather easily (AUD)

Ughh here in Australia our prices aren't enthusiast friendly :\

Ughh here in Australia our prices aren't enthusiast friendly :\

I agree :( doesnt help my local PC store feel they can chuck money ontop of whatever they feel like and are way overpriced, where do you shop in australia?