BOINC PC OS Question

Hi all,

I've built a PC for a friend from some new and some of my unused parts (6600k and 980ti). He's into BOINC (he runs it on all of his computers, and he has a few) but his hardware was getting a bit old. Now the plan was to install Ubuntu on this new PC and run the BOINC client 24h on it, I did the install today. However, it's starting to show that I am a complete Linux Noob and getting BOINC  to run as daemon and installing Cuda is way above me. I still have an unused Windows 10 Home license laying aroung though, so I'm thinking about installing that instead. But I recall hearing / reading something about Windows being a pain to run folding stuff on 24/7 (I'm thinking like autoupdates, automatic restarts and stuff). Are there measures I should definitely take to ensure that the PC runs 24/7? If so, a list would be very much appreciated.

thanks in advance!

cheers

13 minutes ago, historicalpoultry said:

Hi all,

I've built a PC for a friend from some new and some of my unused parts (6600k and 980ti). He's into BOINC (he runs it on all of his computers, and he has a few) but his hardware was getting a bit old. Now the plan was to install Ubuntu on this new PC and run the BOINC client 24h on it, I did the install today. However, it's starting to show that I am a complete Linux Noob and getting BOINC  to run as daemon and installing Cuda is way above me. I still have an unused Windows 10 Home license laying aroung though, so I'm thinking about installing that instead. But I recall hearing / reading something about Windows being a pain to run folding stuff on 24/7 (I'm thinking like autoupdates, automatic restarts and stuff). Are there measures I should definitely take to ensure that the PC runs 24/7? If so, a list would be very much appreciated.

thanks in advance!

cheers

if you just want CUDA then install the Nvidia drivers in drivers

Yours faithfully