Setting game to 1080p res on 1366 mon is it better than native

WolfLoverPro

So I use a to as monitor and it has native of 1366x whatever it is but then I set my games to 1080 and idk if it looks better it seems to I think idk but it makes my fps go down if it don't so what is it actually running at then 1080p or downscaling or upscaleing

It'll look more zoomed out(or scaled down) to make it appear more like 1080p, but it'll still be running at the 1366x whatever your monitor is. 

If it doesn't harm your FPS too much, and you think it looks better, might as well run it at forced 1080p rather than native. 

But answer your question it's running at 1080p then downscaling to your monitor res. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

5 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

So I use a to as monitor and it has native of 1366x whatever it is but then I set my games to 1080 and idk if it looks better it seems to I think idk but it makes my fps go down if it don't so what is it actually running at then 1080p or downscaling or upscaleing

It's rendering at 1080p then downscaling. It's basically a form of anti-aliasing. If you can't tell if it's better or not then probably best just to set it to 1366 and get the increased framerate.

2 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It's rendering at 1080p then downscaling. It's basically a form of anti-aliasing. If you can't tell if it's better or not then probably best just to set it to 1366 and get the increased framerate.

My concern would be weather the TV's down scaling function worked well or not.

It seems you'd get inherently better results with Virtual Super Resolution or whatever nVidia's equivalent is.

It is possible that your 1466x768 TV can run 1080i ("i" for "interlaced"). I have one such TV, and I have tried all combinations: besides just looking bad in general because the panel itself sucks, I came to no conclusion in terms of what is best. I must say I didn't game on that TV, but using it as a secondary screen or playing videos (which in turn were in a variety of resolutions)... I just couldn't decide. Some options were really terrible to use as a desktop (due to fonts, etc), but I can't recall which (I'm guessing 1080i).

24 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

Your hardware is actually rendering each frame at 1920x1080 instead of 1366x768 in that case. And since it takes more effort and time to render 2 million pixels than 1 million pixels, it's normal and expected to see an FPS hit versus actually rendering at 1366x768.

The visual difference is probably minor. Aliased edges (jagged pixel edges on objects in the game) may look a bit better, that's usually the most noticeable difference from this. Actually playing on a 1080p monitor would be a bigger difference than downscaling 1080p to 768p.

@WolfLoverPro

yeah, unless you use a big HD ready TV, you probably wont notice much difference unless you game at high settings.
for VR users however, running a higher resolution and downscaling it actually has a fairly large impact.. then again in that scenario you are looking at a monitor through a magnifying lens at  approx 1 inch distance

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU