I need help! Dust buildup is insane!!!

Andrewf
Go to solution Solved by Andrewf,
16 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

Not to mention that solving airflow is case by case per case. "Cold air in how air out" doesn't answer any of my questions.

Also with different types of fans, neutral air pressure isn't the "easiest". 

For someone who actually takes time to help me rather than just posting a video, do you recommend I just do some math with the airflow and cfm of each fan and get as close to neutral as possible?

I have the corsair 750D

Rest of my computer let's are on my profile.

So after only a few months after last time I cleaned it, there's a ludicrous amount of dust and crap. I even vacuumed my hard wood floor  last time, its the on the ground.

Here's my fan setup.

Corsair Hydro H110

Included fans (Idk what kind) push exhaust

Rear Corsair AFL140L Intake

2x AFL140L intake-front

Noctua NF-F12 IPPC 3000RPM

Intake on bottom

Dust filter on rear and bottom fan, outside the case.

I just received in the mail, 3x Noctua NF-A14 fans. Obviously I want to replace the radiator fans, but should I get more and just replace them all? The corsair ones that came with the H110 I think are airflow and that's bad, the rest are really cheap too.

I want to completely redo the setup. What should I change?

The dust build between the radiator and fans was bad. The dust at the front gets bad every few weeks.

There's dust settling on all the components inside. Do I need more dust filters?

I don't want to intake from the top, maybe I can put dust filters under the fans for the radiator inside the case?

I had a lot of positive pressure to avoid dust build up inside the case in the first place, but it's still bad.

Also my computer is under a desk, on the floor.

I can post pics but I already cleaned and about to put it all back together.

I really appreciate in advanced any help you amazing people can give! Thanks!

Buy air in a can and use it regularly.

Could also use a filter, any ole one from home hardware should do it.

looks like you don't have an even amount of air pressure, check out this video for more. I think you just need a few exhaust fans.

Pretty much. If you're not on top of things, you'll get build up. There's no way around this unless you live in a medical bubble. Dimitri from Hardware Canucks even had crazy build up un a recent video when upgrading a system.

Canned air is your friend.

19 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

looks like you don't have an even amount of air pressure, check out this video for more. I think you just need a few exhaust fans.

Thanks for referring me back to a video I watched 20 minutes ago, but that does make sense, but doesn't more air pressure inside help keep dust out?

19 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Pretty much. If you're not on top of things, you'll get build up. There's no way around this unless you live in a medical bubble. Dimitri from Hardware Canucks even had crazy build up un a recent video when upgrading a system.

Canned air is your friend.

I suppose I'll just have to deal with it. I thought positive air pressure was supposed to keep dust out though?

A have a 760t, which is basically the exact same case as the 750D, and I also get crazy build up

I do share your pain, though. I move PC a bit and see dust on the desk and am like how the hell is there dust alreadyyyyyy

16 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

Not to mention that solving airflow is case by case per case. "Cold air in how air out" doesn't answer any of my questions.

For someone who actually takes time to help me rather than just posting a video, do you recommend I just do some math with the airflow and cfm of each fan and get as close to neutral as possible?

1 hour ago, Andrewf said:

Rear Corsair AFL140L Intake

Here's your problem. Only intake through filters unless you want to pull in dust.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 hours ago, Andrewf said:

Thanks for referring me back to a video I watched 20 minutes ago, but that does make sense, but doesn't more air pressure inside help keep dust out?

I suppose I'll just have to deal with it. I thought positive air pressure was supposed to keep dust out though?

in theory yes, but in practice it may vary. Try running a neutral setup and see if you have a noticeable change. Make sure the intake fans have filters on them, it will reduce airflow, but also improve dust resistance. 

3 hours ago, Andrewf said:

I wouldn't bother with doing cfm calculations or anything so labor intensive. I have the same fans/layout in my case except my rear fan is exhaust and i have a radiator with two exhaust fans on top. In front I have 2 intake fans (filtered) and one intake fan (filtered) on the bottom. I have to clean my case maybe once every 2 months once I see dust build up and it's usually not a lot. Another thing to consider is dust resistance of your fans. I know the Noctua fans have some of the highest available with IP52, but if you're having such a huge problem consider getting IP60 or higher.

3 hours ago, Pachuca said:

I wouldn't bother with doing cfm calculations or anything so labor intensive. I have the same fans/layout in my case except my rear fan is exhaust and i have a radiator with two exhaust fans on top. In front I have 2 intake fans (filtered) and one intake fan (filtered) on the bottom. I have to clean my case maybe once every 2 months once I see dust build up and it's usually not a lot. Another thing to consider is dust resistance of your fans. I know the Noctua fans have some of the highest available with IP52, but if you're having such a huge problem consider getting IP60 or higher.

Dust is generally not a problem for the fans unless it's really bad--which shouldn't be the case when using filters.

If there are only intakes through filters, dust is usually kept to a minimum. Exhaust should be just enough for keep cooling in check without overpowering the intakes and pulling dust through unfiltered openings. I haven't cleaned my system of dust in months and the only dust visible is at the front next to the filters and settling dust at the top of the case.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.