Removing BIOS password and Updating BIOS

Go to solution Solved by Hiitchy,
6 minutes ago, BudgiePanic said:

Anyone know what I should do for updating the BIOS so my new CPU will work?

Install AI Suite, there's a section that is focused on flashing the BIOS and will be able to either find the update online, or you can download it from Asus' website and tell the program which BIOS you want.

If you follow the steps in the program, it will update the BIOS without any issues. As for your password, remove the power plug, remove the battery, and find any jumpers on your motherboard that say "CLR_CMOS" or similar and just move the jumpers either one over to the right, or one over to the left. If you don't have these then removing the battery is your best bet.

Hello guys :D//

I was recently given an i7 7700 for my birthday two weeks ago. I've been reading up and it looks like I need to update my BIOS to the latest version for this CPU to work. my Motherboard is an ASUS H110M-A. I've never messed around with a BIOS update before so I'm not sure what to do. The BIOS also has a password that I've forgotten so that needs to be reset so I can access the BIOS. I learned in school that this can be done by removing the motherboard's battery and plugging it in again. Should I do this?

I'd appreciate if someone could explain:

-BIOS password reset process

-updating BIOS to the latest version so it is compatible with the i7 7700

Yeah you can remove mobo battery, that should do. It's usually the circle thing in the mobo. Remove it and wait for few minutes and insert in back

1 minute ago, BudgiePanic said:

Should I unplug the PC from the wall outlet when doing that?

Yes.  And you should do that whenever doing anything to the inside of your computer.   While flipping the power switch on the back of your PSU should be enough, better safe than sorry.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, BudgiePanic said:

Install AI Suite, there's a section that is focused on flashing the BIOS and will be able to either find the update online, or you can download it from Asus' website and tell the program which BIOS you want.

If you follow the steps in the program, it will update the BIOS without any issues. As for your password, remove the power plug, remove the battery, and find any jumpers on your motherboard that say "CLR_CMOS" or similar and just move the jumpers either one over to the right, or one over to the left. If you don't have these then removing the battery is your best bet.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

The Mobo doesn't have any jumpers, ill remove the battery. How do I install the AI suite? I've never messed around in the BIOS except for changing fan speeds. I'm not familiar with how to use it 

9 minutes ago, BudgiePanic said:

The Mobo doesn't have any jumpers, ill remove the battery. How do I install the AI suite? I've never messed around in the BIOS except for changing fan speeds. I'm not familiar with how to use it 

If you go to Asus' website and search for your motherboard, you should find it under Utilities. Also either quote me or @ me so I know you're asking me a question!

Just now, Hiitchy said:

If you go to Asus' website and search for your motherboard, you should find it under Utilities. Also either quote me or @ me so I know you're asking me a question!

Ok, thank you. It's getting late here in New Zealand so I'll continue on with this tomorrow

Just now, BudgiePanic said:

Ok, thank you. It's getting late here in New Zealand so I'll continue on with this tomorrow

Okay, good luck. I'm actually nearing the end of a night shift at work but as I said, AI Suite makes it really easy for you to update your BIOS so you shouldn't have any issues. In the event that you do, this forum will be here waiting for you. :P 

you can also try and visit https://bios-pw.org/ and see if you can unlock it that way, in most cases there is a manufacturer back door to remove passwords from bios

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

36 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yes.  And you should do that whenever doing anything to the inside of your computer.   While flipping the power switch on the back of your PSU should be enough, better safe than sorry.

actually, turning psu off and leaving it plugged in is more preferable as it makes the psu and chassis grounded, if you unplug it you run a higher risk of shocking the hardware with static electricity. though for just bios resetting i guess it's fine, but leave it connected when you remove and install the clock battery, also hold down your power button to drain the board of power faster

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

12 minutes ago, Changis said:

you can also try and visit https://bios-pw.org/ and see if you can unlock it that way, in most cases there is a manufacturer back door to remove passwords from bios

I would just stick to taking the mobo battery out for 5-10 mins, that website seems a little iffy to me. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

5 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

I would just stick to taking the mobo battery out for 5-10 mins, that website seems a little iffy to me. 

there are alternative sites as well. and the only info you are providing is bios unlock codes, not very usable to hackers etc ;)
i've used bios password unlockers on various websites with only positive results. it is something that the manufacturers put into the bios so they can unlock it without loosing settings of the bios. everything is done on the website, no downloads or anything, i pull  up the site on my phone when working on computers with locked bioses, no issues

but i won't force you, just trying to give you an option that saves you from configuring the bios again

you can also find the sourcecode for the tool they made for this as well
https://github.com/bacher09/pwgen-for-bios

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Just now, Changis said:

there are alternative sites as well. and the only info you are providing is bios unlock codes, not very usable to hackers etc ;)
i've used bios password unlockers on various websites with only positive results. it is something that the manufacturers put into the bios so they can unlock it without loosing settings of the bios. everything is done on the website, no downloads or anything, i pull  up the site on my phone when working on computers with locked bioses, no issues

but i won't force you, just trying to give you an option that saves you from configuring the bios again

Fair enough, will try it on some computers later. I have never considered using sites like that to be honest. Great idea. :) 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

4 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Fair enough, will try it on some computers later. I have never considered using sites like that to be honest. Great idea. :) 

i know what you mean :P but those kind of sites usually wants you to download a program or something or have you register somewhere or fill out a survey, here you just provide an unlock code generated by your bios and get a result instantly.
not that it means much between strangers :P buti would never post anything i havent used myself or am 100% certain it is legit. 

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

ok, don't know if anyone is still following the thread but I've got my BIOS back, the password is removed. next up is updating the BIOS

3 minutes ago, BudgiePanic said:

ok, don't know if anyone is still following the thread but I've got my BIOS back, the password is removed. next up is updating the BIOS

good luck

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Ok I've updated the BIOS to the latest from ASUS's website (3401)

I'm going to put the i7 7700 into the PC now

12 minutes ago, BudgiePanic said:

Ok I've updated the BIOS to the latest from ASUS's website (3401)

I'm going to put the i7 7700 into the PC now

giphy.gif

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Well it booted into windows so mission accomplished I guess