New Internet/TV provider

QuantumBit

Hello!

We need to get a new Internet/TV provider, because AT&T is getting too expensive. We need 3 HD boxes (recording shows etc) and internet speeds 30 Mb/s or more. We're thinking about getting xfinity x1 (or whatever its called) but I've heard comcast has bad customer support ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We can pay up to around $100 give or take a few, also we're located in FL, USA.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

Which part of Florida? 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Just now, TheGhzGuy said:

Which part of Florida? 

South

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

2 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

South

Apparently you get Windstream, Hotwire, Bluestream, and Xfinity. And AT&T, duh. Hotwire and Bluesteam seem to be the best, but I'm not sure. http://broadbandnow.com Look through here and on their websites and see if any of those meet your needs. 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

18 hours ago, QuantumBit said:

Hello!

We need to get a new Internet/TV provider, because AT&T is getting too expensive. We need 3 HD boxes (recording shows etc) and internet speeds 30 Mb/s or more. We're thinking about getting xfinity x1 (or whatever its called) but I've heard comcast has bad customer support ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We can pay up to around $100 give or take a few, also we're located in FL, USA.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!

You think AT&T is expensive. Comcast will bend you over each month with no condom or lube. Been with them for over 10 years. They give two shits about their customers. We just dropped cable and went streaming and OTA. All because Comcast wanted the first and second born child each month. They charge extra for HD, Extra per box, Plus the Sports and Broadcast TV fees, 

We were paying $179 a month, NO HD, No DVR, 2 boxes and Internet to put it in to perspective for you. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You think AT&T is expensive. Comcast will bend you over each month with no condom or lube. Been with them for over 10 years. They give two shits about their customers. We just dropped cable and went streaming and OTA. All because Comcast wanted the first and second born child each month. They charge extra for HD, Extra per box, Plus the Sports and Broadcast TV fees, 

We were paying $179 a month, NO HD, No DVR, 2 boxes and Internet to put it in to perspective for you. 

honestly Why even get a TV package anymore. My parents have cut TV for a few years. they have the top Comcast speed in the area for internet and use Netflix, and amazon prime for videos. and if it is not on that they will buy/rent it from apple TV and with that they get most of the content and manage to keep it less then what TV would cost.

I don't have TV either and never plan on getting it ever.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

7 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

honestly Why even get a TV package anymore. My parents have cut TV for a few years. they have the top Comcast speed in the area for internet and use Netflix, and amazon prime for videos. and if it is not on that they will buy/rent it from apple TV and with that they get most of the content and manage to keep it less then what TV would cost.

The only issue, is Comcast has Caps in some areas. Mines included in that. So were are going to see if we go over the cap this month. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The only issue, is Comcast has Caps in some areas. Mines included in that. So were are going to see if we go over the cap this month. 

caps are not enforced that much, also what is the speed/cap package you would be looking at?

16 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

My mom likes TV.

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

caps are not enforced that much, also what is the speed/cap package you would be looking at?

Im not the op. We currently are in a new package. I was just stating a fact. And YES Comcast does enforce caps in areas they dont have competition like mine. With $10 for every 50 Gigs you go over. 

4 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

My mom likes TV.

You can get TV free over the air, WHAAAAAT. Yeah, its this new/old thing where you use an antenna. It works pretty ok if you ask me. 

Just now, QuantumBit said:

My mom likes TV.

well you can see what see watches and how she uses the TV to see if you could present a internet TV alternative.

Examples:

she likes to have cooking shows on in the background - Twitch food stream

her favorite shows are also on netflix, amazon, hulu, google play, apple tv

she can watch her shows when she wants vs when it is airing.

you can still hook up the TV to the coax cable and get the free stations like local news and PBC and stuff.

saves money.

18 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

well you can see what see watches and how she uses the TV to see if you could present a internet TV alternative.

Examples:

she likes to have cooking shows on in the background - Twitch food stream

her favorite shows are also on netflix, amazon, hulu, google play, apple tv

she can watch her shows when she wants vs when it is airing.

you can still hook up the TV to the coax cable and get the free stations like local news and PBC and stuff.

saves money.

Might actually do this, thanks.

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

1 minute ago, QuantumBit said:

Might actually do this, thanks.

Ya my parents like how they save money, and that they find a new series to binge for a week or so. they will watch 1-3 episodes a night.

the renting movies is not that badly priced, it is like $5 to rent $15-20 to own which is less then seeing it in theaters. (helps if you already have a nice setup already)

Been trying to get my family to cut the cable tv but hard with my father. He knows enough about a cellphone/computer to be dangerous lol. And on tv he likes to flip back n forth between shows, yes I know streaming on hulu/netflix would not need to do that because of ad breaks. Some people just can not adapt to new tech.

I wish all the online streams would get off their asses and have usable api's that programs/websites could use to make a good central place to find things and have one watchlist. There are a few but they are all janky as hell from what I tried.

As you my want to try your local library a lot have tv/show dvds you can checkout.

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

RIP dude. We've had the opposite experience though, so I guess it is dependent on the area. Was paying $300 a month at AT&T for crappy 24 down internet and a couple of set top boxes. Moved to Comcast and now we get 120 down speeds, same amount of set top boxes and what not, and we only pay $150 a month :)

Main Rig: i7-4790 | GTX 1080 | 32GB RAM

Laptop: 2016 Macbook Pro 15" w/ i7-6820HQ, RX 455, 16GB RAM

Others: Apple iPhone XS, ATH-M50X, Airpods, SE215