I am trying to download a file via Utorrent on my PC, the file is about 20gb, the torrent starts at 2MB/s goes till 8MB/s and starts dropping immediately after that, comes down almost to 10kB/s and stays there.

if i stop the torrent and again start, it again catches up good speed and falls down again. download progress bar is showing the progress right. no problem there.

What could be the issue ?

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA Z170M - D3H | CPU - intel core i7 6700k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler | RAM - 32gb Kingston HyperX 2666 (8x4) | Graphics - Nvidia gtx 1060 6gb (Gigabyte) | PSU - Cooler Master B700W PSU | SSD 1 - 120GB Kingston 100 UV SSD (simple storage) | SSD 2 - 240GB kingston 400 UV SSD (OS & programs installed) | Cabinet - Corsair Spec 1 | OS - Windows 10 home Single Language 64bit

:) If I helped, hit the thumbs up icon below my post and pick it as 'Best Answer:ph34r:

1 minute ago, Maxintosh said:

I am trying to download a file via Utorrent on my PC, the file is about 20gb, the torrent starts at 2MB/s goes till 8MB/s and starts dropping immediately after that, comes down almost to 10kB/s and stays there.

if i stop the torrent and again start, it again catches up good speed and falls down again. download progress bar is showing the progress right. no problem there.

What could be the issue ?

There's a peer with very high bandwith and many seeders with very low one, probably? So it stars great but when you catch up with his % it stops because you both download from the same seeders that do not have that upload speed.

Just now, ErrantNyles said:

There's a peer with very high bandwith and many seeders with very low one, probably? So it stars great but when you catch up with his % it stops because you both download from the same seeders that do not have that upload speed.

but everytime i do a start stop it gains good speeds and right after drops to almost nil. in last 15 mins i have downloaded 13% of total download size with start stop method.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA Z170M - D3H | CPU - intel core i7 6700k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler | RAM - 32gb Kingston HyperX 2666 (8x4) | Graphics - Nvidia gtx 1060 6gb (Gigabyte) | PSU - Cooler Master B700W PSU | SSD 1 - 120GB Kingston 100 UV SSD (simple storage) | SSD 2 - 240GB kingston 400 UV SSD (OS & programs installed) | Cabinet - Corsair Spec 1 | OS - Windows 10 home Single Language 64bit

:) If I helped, hit the thumbs up icon below my post and pick it as 'Best Answer:ph34r:

but everytime i do a start stop it gains good speeds and right after drops to almost nil. in last 15 mins i have downloaded 13% of total download size with start stop method.

Check that in settings > bandwidth your download speed is set higher than your maximum (sometimes at "0" it bugs). Also, check if you are given an error like "disk overload".

As @ErrantNyles stated, If the guy with high bandwidth is also downloading, when you drop connection, he's still downloading packets from the original source.  When you reconnect, You get an initial burst from the high bandwidth guy, and then you're stuck back at the same transfer rate immediately afterwards.  Also, with the initial connection, you're not actually downloading anything.  you're connecting to peers, and that does register slightly higher, and then may drop down.  Add those issues together, and that's likely what you're seeing.  Alternatively, the person you're pulling packets from may also have a restriction set.  You start in the file, and then the bandwidth drops so you're not pulling as much data, which allows more users to connect.  Very common scenarios when you're seeing 10k.

could by your upload speed,

long time ago  (think with utorrent 221) i had the same experience if i restricted my upload speed.

Every file worked normal but this one would only download half or 1/4 my max speed.

Probably some bug but releasing the restriction solved it.

maybe there is another problem, does it show an msg in the overview or peer tab?

Correct me if i'm wrong, learning is a lifelong mission

15 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

Check that in settings > bandwidth your download speed is set higher than your maximum (sometimes at "0" it bugs). Also, check if you are given an error like "disk overload".

The settings are all good. no problem there.

I just happen to encounter a new issue just now, the wifi USB receiver (DWA 131) disables automatically as i try to start stop my torrent. i have to put my pc to flight mode and back to restart the receiver. I lose wifi connectivity for that time.

Wifi receiver : Dlink DWA 131 (USB) N300

Wifi router : TPlink TL-WR845N N300

I used to get similar issue with my earlier USB wifi receiver (Dlink DWA model not sure) but back then when my wifi receiver used to get automatically disabled (especially while speed testing on ookla) it even used to put my router to no internet state (No wifi on any device, may it be phone, ipad etc). back then i had to restart both my wifi receiver (plug out plug in) as well as my router (switch off and on) to get the internet back.

hence i bought this new wifi USB receiver (DWA 131), it works absolutely fine otherwise, even on speed testing on oolka or download anything from the browser, but just discovered that with torrents even this one causes similar issues.

what could it be ?