Help me choose the correct Upgrades to my System!

Hey there LTT forums!  
I think its time to return to amd. have not been team red since my phenom II x4 died in late 2015.

So its about 2 years into the life span of my system so i begun the upgrade process. 
ive replaced my GPU PSU & Case recently, But i need help with choosing replacement parts for the following

WHAT I HAVE
MB: Asrock extreme 7+ z170 [ replaced MSI kriat Gaming when that failed ]
CPU: Intel 6700k
RAM: G.skill Ripjaw v 3200mhz 16gb [ can not find matching timing anywhere in aus ]

My Options

CPU: AMD as i wish to make use of more then 4 cores i can get from z270 and i wont give intel $ for the mess that is x299
Can not make my mind up on if i want the 1700/1700x/1800x   can i get some advice on this?!

RAM: looking for compatible ram of 32  to 64gb of ram as i do not wish to upgrade my pc again for about 5 years.

MB: i do not know what i want, Gigabyte k7 AM4 or the cross hair Hero from asus. advice on this? my friend says i should get asus to match my card and case and that it is one of the better boards for 
overclocking.

COOLING:

I want to do soft tube water cooling but the local store where i can get a full set of parts for barrow ahrd tubing etc wont stock soft tubing or the connectors needed, 
help with my options as im not sure what fittings to get if i get a 360 kit from EK and just buy additional parts if needed.

Faith: WIP

Cpu: intel 6700k

RAM: g.skill ripjaw v 3200mhz 16 18 18 38 2n 32gb 4x8gb

MB: Asrock extreme 7+

GPU: GTX 1080 TI Poseidon Platinum Asus ROG
PSU: Cougar 1050W 80+ gold

Case: IN WIN 509 ROG [ black red ]

Cooling: Barrow Fittings, Block, 360mm x 60mm rad, 18w d5 pump, 210 res, EK blood red premix. Poseidon GPU block

SETUP: BenQ 27" 144hz|BenQ 28" 1080p VA 60HZ|Corsair Strafe RGB|Razer DeathAdDer Chroma|ATH IM70|E10k Olympus 2 amp|DX Racer King

Ryzen 1700 + decent air cooler + b350/x370 mobo + overclock = 95% of 1800x.

You only need Asus mobo to match RGB sync. That's why you bought an Asus card right?

AM4 mobos are picky on RAM used. Buy the fastest compatible RAM. I suggest only buying 16gb first, and upgrade if you find the need to. DDR4 will still be available in retail in the near future (at least another 2 years)

A big air cooler should be enough. Less mess, less risk, cheaper. A bit louder as it needs more fans, so make sure you buy quiet ones.

Ryzen chips have a clock speed cal of 4GHz, so whether the board is good for overclocking isnt really important. Just being able to overclock is enough.

Edit: Just realized that you already have 16gb ddr4. Check whether it's compatible with your mobo. If not, sell it.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Budget?

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

Ryzen 1700 + decent air cooler + b350/x370 mobo + overclock = 95% of 1800x.

You only need Asus mobo to match RGB sync. That's why you bought an Asus card right?

AM4 mobos are picky on RAM used. Buy the fastest compatible RAM. I suggest only buying 16gb first, and upgrade if you find the need to.

A big air cooler should be enough. Less mess, less risk, cheaper. A bit louder as it needs more fans, so make sure you buy quiet ones.

yea i wanted to match Sync but i remembered i have deepcool RGB with a remote so i could ways try to match the lighting. only wanted asus ultimately for the BIOS, ive never had issues with asus and just to match the ROG branding across my system kinda OCD.

ill look into the 1700

and finally the GPU gets hot as F. i dunno if its the air flow i have at the moment in my glass case or what but i hit 83 to 90 c in metro last light over 6 hour with breaks play time.

and yea ram is apparently a picky choice with amd this gen. makes it kinda expensive if i want to get the top of the line so i never need to upgrade, im not going 16gb as i can cap that no issues with the workloads i have my system in daily. i leave everything open and i cbf closing them cause adobe might be using 5gb while im gaming. 

Cooling: Barrow Fittings, Block, 360mm x 60mm rad, 18w d5 pump, 210 res, EK blood red premix. Poseidon GPU block

SETUP: BenQ 27" 144hz|BenQ 28" 1080p VA 60HZ|Corsair Strafe RGB|Razer DeathAdDer Chroma|ATH IM70|E10k Olympus 2 amp|DX Racer King

Go for the 1700, it can be OC'd to about the speed of an 1800x.

For the motherboard, go for the cheapest X370 board that looks nice to you and has the features you want.

Your current RAM should be fine for a couple years, I've never gotten up to the 16GB that I have even while video editing and multitasking. It should be able to run with it's rated speed as long as you update your motherboard's BIOS.

As for the cooler, a big air cooler would do fine, however if you want to do a custom loop, buy the equipment from EK online. I'm not an expert on watercooling, if you need more help on it, make a thread in the liquid cooling subforum.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

For the mb either a msi x370 pro carbon or an asus x370 crosshair vi, I suggest the pro carbon as it is 60$ cheaper (usd) and the rgb lights on the rampage are known to break, Im in canada so the availability is generally a bit better than in Australia, but our dollar is just about the same

What are you doing with your PC? Will help to guide us without blindly recommending stuff. :)

Just now, LeinadTM said:

Budget?

1400 AUD max. 

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

Go for the 1700, it can be OC'd to about the speed of an 1800x.

For the motherboard, go for the cheapest X370 board that looks nice to you and has the features you want.

Your current RAM should be fine for a couple years, I've never gotten up to the 16GB that I have even while video editing and multitasking. It should be able to run with it's rated speed as long as you update your motherboard's BIOS.

As for the cooler, a big air cooler would do fine, however if you want to do a custom loop, buy the equipment from EK online. I'm not an expert on watercooling, if you need more help on it, make a thread in the liquid cooling subforum.

ok cool about the 1700 info, 

and the rest is noted thanks!

Just now, Malibooroo said:

What are you doing with your PC? Will help to guide us without blindly recommending stuff. :)

1440p to 4k editing. 

1440p to 4k gaming depending on if i can be bothered plugging into my old philips monitor.

and i tend to leave a majority of my apps open if i decide to do a gaming session with the guys and do not want to close and reopen adobe prem or photoshop. 

Noticing how you upgrade often, i wouldnt do custom water cooling imo. As for the rest of your upgrade, if you just playing games, stick with your current build, 4 cores is perfect for gaming and any more doesnt affect it and can actually lower it in some instances. If your gaming.. 16 gb is enough. if I were u i would buy good fans, more storage (if needed), better monitor or peripherals, or if your into it, and RGB kit.

2 minutes ago, CadetSparklez said:

For the mb either a msi x370 pro carbon or an asus x370 crosshair vi, I suggest the pro carbon as it is 60$ cheaper (usd) and the rgb lights on the rampage are known to break, Im in canada so the availability is generally a bit better than in Australia, but our dollar is just about the same

yea RIP the dollar i remember when we both at one point where 1:1 with USD. 

ok cool ill do some looking into the MSI, esp if i can even get it at a decent price compared to the VI which i know i can get within 3 days. 

2 minutes ago, vESP said:

ok cool ill do some looking into the MSI, esp if i can even get it at a decent price compared to the VI which i know i can get within 3 days. 

Same

amd also id agree with not going fustom watercooling right now, esp since it only has a 95w tdp, if you're going for aesthetics, id preorder the cryorig h7 quad lumi from newegg

6 minutes ago, Lethalmonk said:

Noticing how you upgrade often, i wouldnt do custom water cooling imo. As for the rest of your upgrade, if you just playing games, stick with your current build, 4 cores is perfect for gaming and any more doesnt affect it and can actually lower it in some instances. If your gaming.. 16 gb is enough. if I were u i would buy good fans, more storage (if needed), better monitor or peripherals, or if your into it, and RGB kit.

I tend to agree with this. I always say "this will last me 5 years", then 1 year later the upgrade bug hits... You have a pretty decent rig at the moment, moving to ryzen isn't going to be a massive upgrade. It'll improve adobe premiere render times a bit, but will likely be on par for gaming. Personally, I'd wait a few months, let the dust settle with X299 and Ryzen and make your decision then.

1 minute ago, Malibooroo said:

I tend to agree with this. I always "this will last me 5 years" 1 year later the upgrade bug hits... You have a pretty decent rig at the moment, moving to ryzen isn't going to be a massive upgrade. It'll improve adobe premiere render times a bit, but will likely be on par for gaming. Personally, I'd wait a few months, let the dust settle with X299 and Ryzen and make your decision then.

not to mention, prices are too hot to touch atm. 

Save the money for future parts, what i wrote on my last comment or of course, games.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($295.00 @ Umart) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H80i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($127.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350M-A Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($119.00 @ Scorptec) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($179.00 @ Centre Com) 
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($112.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($94.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Windforce OC Video Card  ($225.00 @ Umart) 
Case: Cooler Master - CM 590 III (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.00 @ IJK) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.00 @ Scorptec) 
Total: $1346.00 AUD
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-29 15:50 AEST+1000

6 minutes ago, CadetSparklez said:

Same

amd also id agree with not going fustom watercooling right now, esp since it only has a 95w tdp, if you're going for aesthetics, id preorder the cryorig h7 quad lumi from newegg

2 minutes ago, Lethalmonk said:

not to mention, prices are too hot to touch atm. 

Save the money for future parts, what i wrote on my last comment or of course, games.

3 minutes ago, Malibooroo said:

I tend to agree with this. I always say "this will last me 5 years", then 1 year later the upgrade bug hits... You have a pretty decent rig at the moment, moving to ryzen isn't going to be a massive upgrade. It'll improve adobe premiere render times a bit, but will likely be on par for gaming. Personally, I'd wait a few months, let the dust settle with X299 and Ryzen and make your decision then.

yea thanks for the input all the info i get from my mates is this " yeah just do it!" and i wanted to upgrade on the asumption id gain performance for my professional side of things and not for gaming since most stuff is processed via my gpu.

Now i fear it may just be the shit airflow this segotep case has but the card last night during gaming it seems hit 83/90c on metro when i spent 6 hours from 6pm to 12pm playing it through. thats kinda why i wanted to hook up a loop to it since the poseidon has that option. 

if no real performance comes from this and I THANK YOU ALL for the input ill just upgrade my CPU cooler get more ram, and some steam games if i need to.!

1 minute ago, vESP said:

yea thanks for the input all the info i get from my mates is this " yeah just do it!" and i wanted to upgrade on the asumption id gain performance for my professional side of things and not for gaming since most stuff is processed via my gpu.

Now i fear it may just be the shit airflow this segotep case has but the card last night during gaming it seems hit 83/90c on metro when i spent 6 hours from 6pm to 12pm playing it through. thats kinda why i wanted to hook up a loop to it since the poseidon has that option. 

if no real performance comes from this and I THANK YOU ALL for the input ill just upgrade my CPU cooler get more ram, and some steam games if i need to.!

it says in your profile u have a Cougar Panzer Max. dont get more ram unless you need it. Un used ram is wasted ram.. Get some noctua fans, better chair, extra monitor, better cpu cooler and steam games are on sale rn.

Hmm well id say since you do alot of editing, ryzen was the big jump for that, and not much else is going to come, so I wouldn't worry about upgrading that later, also with more money amd is just going to become more competitive, so you can just buy another cpu for your am4 board a few years down the line

What card are you running? That seems super hot!

Putting money in other areas like you said may be way more beneficial. Have you seen the new EK aluminium kits? You can get a CPU/GPU kit pretty cheap and performance is pretty good! Not sure where you'd get one here in AUS though...

Putting money in other areas like you said may be more beneficial. Have you seen the new EK aluminium kits? You can get a CPU/GPU kit pretty cheap and performance is pretty good! Not sure where you'd get one here in AUS though... Mwave stock EK, but don't seem to have this yet...

39 minutes ago, vESP said:

we basically have the same currency lol

IMG_6726.PNG

19 minutes ago, Malibooroo said:

Putting money in other areas like you said may be way more beneficial. Have you seen the new EK aluminium kits? You can get a CPU/GPU kit pretty cheap and performance is pretty good! Not sure where you'd get one here in AUS though...

Putting money in other areas like you said may be more beneficial. Have you seen the new EK aluminium kits? You can get a CPU/GPU kit pretty cheap and performance is pretty good! Not sure where you'd get one here in AUS though... Mwave stock EK, but don't seem to have this yet...

https://www.asus.com/au/Graphics-Cards/ROG-POSEIDON-GTX1080TI-P11G-GAMING/ i got it like friday last week so 6 days ago as this is thursday.

25 minutes ago, Lethalmonk said:

it says in your profile u have a Cougar Panzer Max. dont get more ram unless you need it. Un used ram is wasted ram.. Get some noctua fans, better chair, extra monitor, better cpu cooler and steam games are on sale rn.

thats a old list man. i forgot my profile also has it, not just my sig haha. that panzer, my ML 120 fans and a few other parts all went to my fiances build.

Well, the Poseidon cards aren't really the best for air or the best for water, they're just a good compromise of both to give you flexibility... In saying that, I'd definitely get it on water though! Get a decent triple rad CPU kit and add the GPU to the loop. I think that'd give you pretty good overall performance gains. It'd allow you to push your CPU a bit and bring the temps right down on your GPU to prevent thermal throttling. Mwave do some decent EKWB CPU kits depending on what your budget is. I'd definitely go for a 360 rad if you can fit it in your case.