Longest I can fold?

So, my computer is folding for about 18 hours per day. My computer is 4 years old. (Specs in sig) Will my computer eventually DIE from folding? Or can I just keep my computer folding for a whole month?

I don't think so unless your on full the whole time

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

how high are the temps u get from folding. For every 10 degress C higher ur electronics runs at, it will cut its life by half

So, my computer is folding for about 18 hours per day. My computer is 4 years old. (Specs in sig) Will my computer eventually DIE from folding? Or can I just keep my computer folding for a whole month?

Eventually all hardware will die.  It makes sense that the more stress you put on the system, the faster something will die.  Perhaps you could use "death by Folding" as an excuse for a new PC.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

how high are the temps u get from folding. For every 10 degress C higher ur electronics run it will cut its life by half

My CPU gets to 75 C and GPU fan stays at 100%.

My CPU gets to 75 C and GPU fan stays at 100%.

ya that will definitely affect the life span of ur computer. It is all luck on how early it will die tho. 

how high are the temps u get from folding. For every 10 degress C higher ur electronics runs at, it will cut its life by half

I would be interested in knowing where you got that information.  Not saying you're wrong, I've just never seen that statistic before.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

I would be interested in knowing where you got that information.  Not saying you're wrong, I've just never seen that statistic before.

cousin is an electrical engineer. his job is to test and build ups and psu. it is a general rule.

cousin is an electrical engineer. his job is to test and build ups and psu. it is a general rule.

Still learning new things.

Don't believe this for a second. 75C is hot, but I doubt it'll significantly lower the lifespan of your hardware and you should be fine running it for a month on end. If it bothers you, as others said... just turn F@H down. Processors are made to run, after all, not sit at idle all day. They aren't people, they don't require breaks to refresh themselves.

Jacky, you really need more information other than "your cousin said." I could write an essay on what's wrong with what that, but instead I'm going to ask you to provide proof that is credible, otherwise no one should believe this. There is no way this is true for every electronic, maybe a phone or a router. I don't think you are a dumb person, I think you've been fed false information.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

http://www.apiste-global.com/enc/technology_enc/detail/id=1262

is that enough proof or do u need more?

Don't believe this for a second. 75C is hot, but I doubt it'll significantly lower the lifespan of your hardware and you should be fine running it for a month on end. If it bothers you, as others said... just turn F@H down. Processors are made to run, after all, not sit at idle all day. They aren't people, they don't require breaks to refresh themselves.

Jacky, you really need more information other than "your cousin said." I could write an essay on what's wrong with what that, but instead I'm going to ask you to provide proof that is credible, otherwise no one should believe this. There is no way this is true for every electronic, maybe a phone or a router. I don't think you are a dumb person, I think you've been fed false information.

That is nowhere near a general rule. If you look at datasheets of the various IC's and other digital and analog elements in circuits you will see that each part has different capacities. I could see the inverse root maybe, but 1/2 every 10* means that if it lasts 100 years at 50* then at 60* it lasts 50 years, then 70 it lasts only 25 years of the 100 expected. Then it's in the powers of two. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc.

That is nowhere near a general rule. If you look at datasheets of the various IC's and other digital and analog elements in circuits you will see that each part has different capacities. I could see the inverse root maybe, but 1/2 every 10* means that if it lasts 100 years at 50* then at 60* it lasts 50 years, then 70 it lasts only 25 years of the 100 expected. Then it's in the powers of two. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc.

when is said general i meant a rule of thumb not the only rule out there

http://www.apiste-global.com/enc/technology_enc/detail/id=1262

is that enough proof or do u need more?

This is completely false. First, it's from 2002. Second, it's talking about cars. Third, it's talking about capacitors. Fourth, it has grammar errors, and there is little information on to what it actually tested on. Fifth, it's talking about ambient, not operating temperatures.

And finally, my i7-930 has ran at well over 60C for the last 4 years straight (more or less, take time away for when I was on trips). That tells me it should have died in 10,000 hours, which is about 417 days, and that is well under 4 years or even the time I've been using the processor.

edit: I should say it's completely false for computer components. I don't deny it for other things.

This is completely false. First, it's from 2002. Second, it's talking about cars. Third, it's talking about capacitors. Fourth, it has grammar errors, and there is little information on to what it actually tested on. Fifth, it's talking about ambient, not operating temperatures.

And finally, my i7-930 has ran at well over 60C for the last 4 years straight (more or less, take time away for when I was on trips). That tells me it should have died in 10,000 hours, which is about 417 days, and that is well under 4 years or even the time I've been using the processor.

edit: I should say it's completely false for computer components. I don't deny it for other things.

i am not saying that it should i have died lol

i just saying it is cutting the life span of the cpu by a factor compared to it running at a lower temp. 

Ambient. Perfect, I excluded that because it slipped my mind.. I was going to point out the fact that it's the surrounding temperatures, but not the radiated heat.

i just saying it is cutting the life span of the cpu by a factor compared to it running at a lower temp. 

Higher temps will decay anything, that is correct. However the statistic isn't. 

Ambient. Perfect, I excluded that because it slipped my mind.. I was going to point out the fact that it's the surrounding temperatures, but not the radiated heat.

so ur saying that if it is running at a constantly hot temp it will not affect the life of the cpu 

The website is saying it should have died... Either way, it's wrong for computers, and that's my point. Running it at low temperatures obviously helps, not denying that either, but cutting the lifespan by half is questionable.

so ur saying that if it is running at a constantly hot temp it will not affect the life of the cpu 

read the above and below comment... or click these.

The website is saying it should have died... Either way, it's wrong for computers, and that's my point. Running it at low temperatures obviously helps, not denying that either, but cutting the lifespan by half is questionable.

I didnt mean to say it was exactly half but by a factor. Not by a fix amount. I know that every electronic behaves differently, but in general for every 10 degree it does shorten the life of the electronic by a decent amount and makes the failure rate higher.

Back to OP:

All you need to watch for are your temps, the lower the temp, the longer it will live. No one can say for sure how long that will be for your specific cpu or gpu.

The thing is, if you fold 24/7 on your gpu on 70 degrees with fans on 100%, I would guess that the fans will die before the card itself dies. I would much rather lower the fan speed and gain 5 or so degrees than run them at 100%, but that's just me and it could be pointless.

As someone already said, these things are meant to be hot, not sit idle.

I have a 7970 which I've had folding for almost a year non-stop and it's now Boincing 24/7, but it's still the same loud and hot card it was when I bought it.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui