Steam Games on NAS

Hi there,

I know this has been discussed but the other threads were more "is it possible".

I know that it is, I was more wondering if anyone had done this and what sort of performance degradation they got? 

I have 4 1tb WD Blacks in RAID 10 so I don't think speed would be too much of an issue (possibly faster than my single HDD in my PC), my main concern was latency over the ethernet (1GB connection).

Thank you

Install your games onto the nas. It will create a manifest in steam/steamapps.Mount it so that both your hard drive and the Nas are say d drives.Then copy the manifest onto steamapps on your pc. Manifests should appear as appmainfest_XXXX.acf

My life

16 minutes ago, KrauseeAUS said:

Hi there,

I know this has been discussed but the other threads were more "is it possible".

I know that it is, I was more wondering if anyone had done this and what sort of performance degradation they got? 

I have 4 1tb WD Blacks in RAID 10 so I don't think speed would be too much of an issue (possibly faster than my single HDD in my PC), my main concern was latency over the ethernet (1GB connection).

Thank you

In theory, unless your internet connection is 1gbps, you won't be using up the whole "ethernet connection". I would assume there will be some speed different but not super huge. But then again, that's all in theory. Hopefully some one here did it and will be able to advice you on the actual time different.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

1 minute ago, VolkA said:

In theory, unless your internet connection is 1gbps, you won't be using up the whole "ethernet connection". I would assume there will be some speed different but not super huge. But then again, that's all in theory. Hopefully some one here did it and will be able to advice you on the actual time different.

I have used a steam link on 2.4 ghz wifi while playing GTA V and it seems fine

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

I have used a steam link on 2.4 ghz wifi while playing GTA V and it seems fine

Should be the same but yet not really the same. Haha. But then again, I don't have a NAS at home so I'm not able to look into it. Like I said, in theory should not be an issue. :P

22 minutes ago, KrauseeAUS said:

OP, why not just install 1 game in your library into the NAS you have then see if it makes any different. At the same time you can share your result here with the rest. :) I am also interested to know the result. Haha. Might be planning a NAS in the future. :)

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

1 minute ago, VolkA said:

OP, why not just install 1 game in your library into the NAS you have then see if it makes any different. At the same time you can share your result here with the rest. :) I am also interested to know the result. Haha. Might be planning a NAS in the future. :)

Will do this tonight and let you know :)

Just now, KrauseeAUS said:

Will do this tonight and let you know :)

Thank you! :)

Spoiler

unless your HDD is very old the speed with the HDD internal will still be better than it will be via LAN.

the installation via steam is very easy as you can just mount the NAS as a network drive and create another steam library where you can install games to as usual.

Would not recommend doing this as the speed will make load times much longer.

22 hours ago, VolkA said:

Thank you! :)

Tried it last night briefly, was getting some errors trying to run it off the NAS.

14 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

unless your HDD is very old the speed with the HDD internal will still be better than it will be via LAN.

the installation via steam is very easy as you can just mount the NAS as a network drive and create another steam library where you can install games to as usual.

Would not recommend doing this as the speed will make load times much longer.

I am currently working out a Linus solution to solve the ethernet bottleneck, going to try and set up bonding over a MikroTik and run multiple ethernet cables.

1 hour ago, KrauseeAUS said:

I am currently working out a Linus solution to solve the ethernet bottleneck, going to try and set up bonding over a MikroTik and run multiple ethernet cables.

Wow. I don't even know what that means. Haha. Just hope you are able to solve it and play games off your NAS. :)

Spoiler