why do small form factor pcs exist?

there is not one legitmate reason for them to exist.

don't have space? get a bigger desk.

want somthing smaller? buy a laptop.

don't want a laptop? put it under you desk.

don't want to do that? get a ps4 or xbox then.

yet this channel wastes half its time making videos on completely useless items that have no purpose. 

Oh boy...

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

yet this channel wastes half its time making videos on completely useless items that have no purpose. 

some people want to use desktop grade hardware in as small space as possible to fit for example on/under small desks or next to your tv where there isnt much place. Its also easier to transport. laptops are small loud, run hot and have limited upgrade capabilities

4 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

its the opposite reason why a less-endowed man buys a large expensive car

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, Tiwaz said:

some people want to use desktop grade hardware in as small space as possible to fit for example on/under small desks or next to your tv where there isnt much place. Its also easier to transport. laptops are small loud, run hot and have limited upgrade capabilities

small form factor pc = hard to upgrade.

addressed all your points above.

buying a 20cm wide pc vs 30cm pc. ohh so much difference. we totally need 50% of the videos on this channel on pc cases 10cm smaller than other ones 

3 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

I could say the same for full towers since mid tower covers most needs, but that would be ignorant of me.

You can't magically make a space bigger to fit a bigger desk.

No.

There isn't always enough room under a desk, not every desk is an Ikea table top with legs.

You have to try harder than that.

Is reddit down or something?

Just now, Mooshi said:

I could say the same for full towers since mid tower covers most needs, but that would be ignorant of me.

You can't magically make a space bigger to fit a bigger desk.

No.

There isn't always enough room under a desk, not every desk is an Ikea table top with legs.

You have to try harder than that.

Is reddit down or something?

not enough room? 

monitor + keyboard room desk is enough room for case under desk

Just now, lobster_zoidberg said:

so you agree, you don't have one single legtimate reason for them to exist. 

No, your arguments are weak to say the least.

"Get a bigger desk" - people might not have the space in their room for a bigger desk. Also, expensive.

"Laptop" - except laptops are bulky, expensive, usually have worse cooling and so forth.

"PS4 or Xbox" - except they're not as powerful.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

5 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

iv gone through laptops. Next time I need something portable I will use a mac mini or i will build a m-ITX.

Im sick of laptop CPUs and gamming laptops are very expensive, id rather build a m-ITX.

If you look at "shared spaces" where you go into the city and rent a desk, they often have a monitor, mouse and keyboard on desks.

You are also missing industrial applications. industrial machines often have computers attached to them and a ATX isnt really practical.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

21 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

1) Getting a bigger desk is more hassle. Sure, it may only take half an hour of re-arrangement, but building a PC is a lot more fun than swapping desks.

2) Laptops aren't as powerful as small form factor systems, most of the time.

3) Some people just like looking at their system. If you're going to ask why, tell me, why do some people like marmite? Also, some people do have very dusty rooms, which usually accumulates in stagnant air, such as under a desk.

4) Some people prefer PCs due to the wider range of games, as well as the general versatility of a PC when it comes to workstation purposes.

When it comes to building massive systems, those are usually highly unnecessary, and the cost ramps up when you get larger and larger. For a mid tower though, sure, it might be cheaper than an SFF system, but people like to have that niche of a small form factor system. Why? Well, why do people like marmite?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

one more is HTPC. some people want a VCR sized machine to fit in the cabinet

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Why? Well, why do people like marmite?

nobody likes marmite. its just something we give to foreigners. Every culture does it. Do you really think the french and snails or the japanese eat that rancid type of seaweed. :P

na the nest one is that Scandinavian country that has fermented shark

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Ultimately, it's personal pref. 

I've seen Ryzen builds identical to mine using custom loops and not really having a frequency advantage while I'm currently using a budget air cooler. Am I bashing them for investing that cash? Hell no, those builds are sick and it's their passion.

Same for tiny builds. I've built a mini beast and have an overclocked 6700k at its core and I'm proud of how much power than can be stuffed in a breadbox. It's super satisfying to have power in a small space because of the challenge.

If you don't get that, then there isn't much that can be done.

4 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

No more legitimate then having a PC at all.

6 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

I have a huge six foot desk. Still more room is better.

7 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

I have a laptop, mini-ITX and mid tower ATX. Variety is awesome and laptops are not as upgradable or powerful.

10 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

I have another computer, printer, A/V receiver, wheel and joysticks down there.

12 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

don't want to do that? get a ps4 or xbox then

#&%$ that.

13 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

yet this channel wastes half its time making videos on completely useless items that have no purpose

So they should tailor their channel to you alone? 

Why do you care?

If you don't like it don't watch it. That simple.

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

"Headward, free now to rise." - Principal Vagina

This just makes no sense... how did you even come up with this list?

Don't have space -> get bigger desk

hm... does this trick work on other things too?  Perhaps if I don't have money, I should spend a lot more of it.

There are plenty of reasons to not get a laptop if you don't need a laptop.  For example, alternate peripherals and display, display not built in, standard, non-proprietary components, generally lower cost... I could go on.

I don't even understand how those statements go together.

So if you don't want a huge PC or a laptop, you should just get a console?

I thought the point of PC was getting to choose what we all like but I guess not.

That may be true, but small form factor PCs aren't even one of them xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

21 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

Don't have the space for a bigger desk? Bang there is the end of your stupid thought trail. People buy it for space saving reasons or because they want the performance without huge tower. 

get a ps4 or xbox then.

1. Yes there is one. They fit in tight spaces are easier to cary than large PCs but usually very similarly powerful

2. What about people with small appartments? That is very rude and basically equal to telling people to 'fuck off' at a store because they don't seem to be wealthy enough to buy stuff there.

3.  A laptop os most likely more expensive or less poweful. These two usually come as a coefficient. They are more noisy, not modular, can require more proprietary bullshit in some cases and generally be more of a hassle to deal with because they come as a complete non customizable package. A PSU you can keep, a mobo you can keep, ... and so on ...

4. Still the same problems. Just because you painted over the rust doesn't mean it is not there anymore.

5. Oh really, I will send you my letter of motivation for correction reading on your xbox ... totally missed the point here.

'Why get a small car becasue you have very few space? Just get a motor bike!'

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So if you don't want a huge PC or a laptop, you should just get a console?

I thought the point of PC was getting to choose what we all like but I guess not.

No if you don't want a huge PC you need to do your workstation tasks on an xbox. Those are the rules now, didn't you get the memo?

See you in 10-12 weeks I'm just off to type up an essay on my PS4.

18 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

buying a 20cm wide pc vs 30cm pc. ohh so much difference. we totally need 50% of the videos on this channel on pc cases 10cm smaller than other ones 

Innovation sometimes comes in small steps. MIght aswell bitch about intels ~5% improvement every gen which is more of an issue.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

27 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

Everyone has room for a bigger desk? 

A laptop with comparable specs would be far more expensive. 

Everyone has room under their desk for a tower? or they own pets. or live in a dusty environment. 

A console isn't a pc. 

your points are pretty shit. put in more effort next time. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

4 minutes ago, noobadin said:

Everyone has room for a bigger desk? 

A laptop with comparable specs would be far more expensive. 

Everyone has room under their desk for a tower? or they own pets. or live in a dusty environment. 

A console isn't a pc. 

your points are pretty shit. put in more effort next time. 

how dare you speak to me when you dont have any useful points

I believe 70% of the reason of SFF existance is just because of enthusiasts.

I dont think they are that useful, but they have a place on the market (tough it would be very little if people didnt like them even when it "does not make sense")

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

7 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

how dare you speak to me when you dont have any useful points

And locked.