Setting up SSD

Tellos

Ok so I purchased a 500GB SSD to take the place of my 1TB main drive. I planned to migrate it using Samsungs software [bought a 850 evo 500gb] and usign it to replace the drive. What shoudl I be sure to do before I migrate the drive and what set ups in bios will I need to ensure my drive is looked at correctly? Note I havint used all 1tb of drive space I made sure to have more than 500gbs free otherwise it'd not fit.

First of all, don't migrate and do a clean install.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Then plug in your HDD (making sure it's not on the boot priorities list in your BIOS) and copy paste your documents and files over.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

do not have a windows 10 disc also don wanna have to redownload all my games on my second drive. @Enderman

2 minutes ago, Tellos said:

do not have a windows 10 disc also don wanna have to redownload all my games on my second drive. @Enderman

You don't need a windows 10 disk and you don't need to redownload your games.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Tellos said:

@Enderman ok so what do I do to ensure this all works.

You follow the steps.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

All you need is a USB drive that's got 4GB of space or more.

You should probably look up youtube tutorials so that you can learn how to do the whole process.

For games, idk what drive you want them on, but if you want to put them on the SSD you just move your whole game files and then change the steam settings or battlenet settings or whatever launcher you use to search for games in the new location where you put them.

Look up "how to move steam games" on google, or whatever you use instead of steam.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Tellos said:

@Enderman no want the games on the second HDD for storage.

Does your second HDD currently have the games on it?

It's a game hard drive?

Spoiler

@Enderman yes all back ups and games I wanna keep save a few older ones are on the second drive.

8 minutes ago, Tellos said:

@Enderman yes all back ups and games I wanna keep save a few older ones are on the second drive.

Cool, that makes it easy then. I assume steam and other launchers are on your OS drive and it's just the games on that secondary HDD?

When you install your steam and battlenet and other stuff on the SSD you go into the settings and change the location of your games, then it should detect them on your secondary HDD without having to move anything.

Spoiler

@Enderman  Mostly yes as i said a few older games not from steam are on there but I can reisntall via disc if desired. i suspect saving the save files and any patches are all thats in order. any othere files I do have also an extra 320gig HDD thats external if I need another place to store files on an emrgancy basis.

4 minutes ago, Tellos said:

@Enderman  Mostly yes as i said a few older games not from steam are on there but I can reisntall via disc if desired. i suspect saving the save files and any patches are all thats in order. any othere files I do have also an extra 320gig HDD thats external if I need another place to store files on an emrgancy basis.

Yeah, the trick is to get your files organized into your user folders, so stuff like game saves and docs/pictures/music things can easily be found when you're copying your stuff from the HDD to the new SSD.

Spoiler