Please review my PC build

Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,
3 minutes ago, Satyam Kumar said:

I guess Primeabgb do include taxes. I have added few items to my cart for shipping and I don't see any tax additions.
The IT Depot is a bigger and more reputable retailer. Maybe that's why they have things lil costlier. xD

And one last request, please take a look at my case (Corsair Carbide Series Spec-04 Mid tower) at The IT Depot and tell me every part that I mentioned would easily fit into it, right?

Additionally, I am also buying an APC UPS BR1000G so that's inclusive in my INR 100,000 budget. I failed to mention that.

Ok, looking back at your original part list everything looks pretty good, only thing that I would change is to get a 7700k instead. If you're getting a z270 mobo and an aftermarket CPU cooler you might as well get a CPU that can OC as well xD. If you don't want to overclock, I suggest you get a b250 or h270 mobo instead.

If you want rgb then the ram you picked is ok, otherwise you can get 3200 MHz Ripjaws v ram for a bit cheaper (but if you want rgb it's a good choice).

Other than that I don't have much to say. You might want to consider a slightly cheaper 1060 perhaps (usually rog Strix are pretty expensive, you might be able to get an evga dual fan one for a bit cheaper) but if it's a reasonable price it sounds like a good pick.

I was trying to fit a 7700k and 1070 in but I couldn't :/, so I guess 1060 is fine.

1 hour ago, Stevoisboss said:

You should get a 7700k if you are going to buy a z270 board. If not go with a h270 board. 

I considered 7700K earlier but I don't think I'll overclock. Plus getting a 7700K will have more heating issues to deal with, like getting a liquid cooler.
Having said that, I might get myself an overclockable CPU a year or two later, so the Z270 motherboard.

1 hour ago, PatrickK said:

This. Go for a ryzen 1600 + a 1070. 

I considered getting Ryzen, but I don't think AMD has any service center for Ryzen here in India.

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Just saying but I think you guys are jumping towards conclusions too fast.

If OP uses something like premier+Lightroom+photoshop Intel would be a better choice.

Premier is multi threaded but not very well, the other two are quite single threaded, making Ryzen a bad option.

True that! I do use Adobe Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects.
Further just like I said, I don't think AMD has any service center for Ryzen here in India.

1 minute ago, Satyam Kumar said:

I considered 7700K earlier but I don't think I'll overclock. Plus getting a 7700K will have more heating issues to deal with, like getting a liquid cooler.
Having said that, I might get myself an overclockable CPU a year or two later, so the Z270 motherboard.

You can delid it instead of getting a liquid cooler although a liquid cooler isn't essential in the first place. Its understandable if you don't want to do that however just keep in mind that the only cpu better than a 7700 that you can put in a z270 board is a 7700k. It wouldn't be worth the upgrade in the future and intel might not make new cpu's compatible with z270. 

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

1 hour ago, stealth80 said:

To be fair I just went with the 1500 USD part, didn't even realise PCP had an India section 

I am sorry, I should have probably mentioned that prices in India are bit more compared to USA.

5 minutes ago, Satyam Kumar said:

True that! I do use Adobe Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects.
Further just like I said, I don't think AMD has any service center for Ryzen here in India.

Hmmm

Which ones do you use more than others?

Photoshop is very single threaded, but premier is kind of multi threaded and after effects also looks to be kind of multi threaded.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

You can delid it instead of getting a liquid cooler although a liquid cooler isn't essential in the first place. Its understandable if you don't want to do that however just keep in mind that the only cpu better than a 7700 that you can put in a z270 board is a 7700k. It wouldn't be worth the upgrade in the future and intel might not make new cpu's compatible with z270. 

Thanks for letting me know that Intel might not make Z270 compatible CPUs in future.
Apart from MSI Z270 PC Mate, I also shortlisted MSI H270 Gaming M3.
But the PC Mate has other advantages like memory support up to 3800 MHz, has Thunderbolt connector, has Intel Lan chipset, etc.

Just now, Satyam Kumar said:

Thanks for letting me know that Intel might not make Z270 compatible CPUs in future.
Apart from MSI Z270 PC Mate, I also shortlisted MSI H270 Gaming M3.
But the PC Mate has other advantages like memory support up to 3800 MHz, has Thunderbolt connector, has Intel Lan chipset, etc.

If you need the features then get it. 

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

10 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Hmmm

Which ones do you use more than others?

Photoshop is very single threaded, but premier is kind of multi threaded and after effects also looks to be kind of multi threaded.

I only use Photoshop for thumbnails, primary applications are premiere pro and after effects.
I also want to ask:

1. A gold rated PSU which modular is always better than the standard PSUs, right?

2. G.Skill's RAMs are better than Corsair's, right?
3. I am also concerned about the Noctua NH-U9S cooler, I mean with the MSI Z270 PC mate and ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1060 I hope it will not touch any parts (like RAM).

Just now, Satyam Kumar said:

I only use Photoshop for thumbnails, primary applications are premiere pro and after effects.
I also want to ask:

1. A gold rated PSU which modular is always better than the standard PSUs, right?

2. G.Skill's RAMs are better than Corsair's, right?
3. I am also concerned about the Noctua NH-U9S cooler, I mean with the MSI Z270 PC mate and ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1060 I hope it will not touch any parts (like RAM).

In that case I think a 1600 would be your best option.

1. Usually, but not necessarily. Psu quality isn't necessarily determined by efficiency. The forum has a psu tier list that rates PSUs based on quality. If you want a really top of the line psu, the evga g2 and G3 are usually good choices.

Generally that's true, but not always. For example, the EVGA G1 PSUs are gold rated but I would, with no doubt, consider them worse quality than the Corsair CXM grey sticker units, which are bronze rated.

2. I'd say that's a bit of an opinion thing :P. It also depends on which exact models you're talking about.

3. If you go a 7700 you can just use the stock cooler. 7700 with a z270 mobo and aftermarket cooler is a bit of a waste imo since you can't OC with a 7700. Anyhow, I think Ryzen would be a bit of a better option.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

By the way, if you want to check out some Ryzen vs Intel premier, after affects, and photoshop benchmarks you can see em here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-cpu-review,5014-10.html

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2875-amd-r5-1600x-1500x-review-fading-i5-argument/page-3

Or the pics themselves.

amd-r5-premiere-benchmark.pngIMG_2296.JPG.6210308c101819f78c0c9df695fba085.JPGIMG_2297.JPG.2b6dc73fe27d8af82ff91cb717248a76.JPGIMG_2298.JPG.4406893612792d5db54d09b72125bcf6.JPG

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

In that case I think a 1600 would be your best option.

1. Usually, but not necessarily. Psu quality isn't necessarily determined by efficiency. The forum has a psu tier list that rates PSUs based on quality. If you want a really top of the line psu, the evga g2 and G3 are usually good choices.

Generally that's true, but not always. For example, the EVGA G1 PSUs are gold rated but I would, with no doubt, consider them worse quality than the Corsair CXM grey sticker units, which are bronze rated.

2. I'd say that's a bit of an opinion thing :P. It also depends on which exact models you're talking about.

3. If you go a 7700 you can just use the stock cooler. 7700 with a z270 mobo and aftermarket cooler is a bit of a waste imo since you can't OC with a 7700. Anyhow, I think Ryzen would be a bit of a better option.

I understand Ryzen can be a better option, but just like I said I don't think AMD has any service center in India. So, I don't want to risk it.
And I have one more question, I opted the triple fan ASUS ROG GTX 1060 for better cooling, I got that right, right?
I mean I could have gone for ASUS dual fan GTX 1060.

I would have gone for EVGA PSUs, but they again don't have Indian warranty. They only seem to have an International warranty.
About the RAM, I was talking about G.Skill TridentZ RGB series.

And just for some information, online retailers like Primeabgb and The IT Depot has better pricing for most hardware than Amazon India.

9 minutes ago, Satyam Kumar said:

I under Ryzen can be a better option, but just like I said I don't think AMD has any service center in India. So, I don't want to risk it.
And I have one more question, I opted the triple fan ASUS ROG GTX 1060 for better cooling, I got that right, right?
I mean I could have gone for ASUS dual fan GTX 1060.

And just for some information, online retailers like Primeabgb and The IT Depot has better pricing for most hardware than Amazon India.

Oh wow I see what you're saying when you say cheaper prices...

The cheapest 1070s on Amazon are around 50,000, just looking at the it depot and you can get 1080s for 8,000 less.

One second, I'm gonna make a part list using the retailers you mentioned, since those prices are wayyyyy better.

And yeah, three fans is gonna be better. I'm not sure if you'll actually see better overclocking or anything but temps and noise will be better for sure, I've heard the Asus dual is kinda loud.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Also, side note, foes primeabgb not include taxes in the price? I'm looking right now and the it depot has consistently higher prices but it says taxes included and primeabgb does not

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Also, side note, foes primeabgb not include taxes in the price? I'm looking right now and the it depot has consistently higher prices but it says taxes included and primeabgb does not

I guess Primeabgb do include taxes. I have added few items to my cart for shipping and I don't see any tax additions.
The IT Depot is a bigger and more reputable retailer. Maybe that's why they have things lil costlier. xD

And one last request, please take a look at my case (Corsair Carbide Series Spec-04 Mid tower) at The IT Depot and tell me every part that I mentioned would easily fit into it, right?

Additionally, I am also buying an APC UPS BR1000G so that's inclusive in my INR 100,000 budget. I failed to mention that.

3 minutes ago, Satyam Kumar said:

Ok, looking back at your original part list everything looks pretty good, only thing that I would change is to get a 7700k instead. If you're getting a z270 mobo and an aftermarket CPU cooler you might as well get a CPU that can OC as well xD. If you don't want to overclock, I suggest you get a b250 or h270 mobo instead.

If you want rgb then the ram you picked is ok, otherwise you can get 3200 MHz Ripjaws v ram for a bit cheaper (but if you want rgb it's a good choice).

Other than that I don't have much to say. You might want to consider a slightly cheaper 1060 perhaps (usually rog Strix are pretty expensive, you might be able to get an evga dual fan one for a bit cheaper) but if it's a reasonable price it sounds like a good pick.

I was trying to fit a 7700k and 1070 in but I couldn't :/, so I guess 1060 is fine.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Satyam Kumar said:

Hi, I am going to build a PC and my budget is INR 100,000 (USD 1,500). Can anyone please go through my assembled parts and let me know if everything is compatible? I don't want to face any issue later on.
I basically want to edit videos and play games. Below are the details.

Processor: Intel i7–7700
Graphics: ASUS ROG Strix-GTX 1060 6GB
Motherboard: MSI Z270 PC Mate
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000 MHz
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB SATA 6 GB/s 7200rpm
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
PSU: Corsair RM650x 650W
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 92mm
Cabinet: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-04 Mid Tower (Black-Yellow)

So far what I'm seeing no one has even answered his main question (I may be wrong). 

To me all the parts look compatible, to make sure enter them in PC part picker. It will say if there are any compatibly issues.