North Bridge/Hyper-Transfer Bus Overheating

Hey there everyone.

So I recently built my first desktop and I need some help with figuring out why my NB and HT are running so hot. I've got an AMD FX-8350 overclocked at 4622.5 MHz(215 Base, 21.5 Multiplier) running on an MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition ATX motherboard, with a Silverstone TD02-LITE 240mm AIO cooling the damn thing. Here's the full parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GhmJQV. I've dumped an additional .15v into the processor and have been able to get it at least somewhat stable. Here's the problem though; if I have my side panel on my case, the base idle temp for the NB/HT is about 74C, when the MB and CPU Package temps are at 32C and 40C respectively.

I have my case fans in the default configuration, with 3 front intakes and 1 rear exhaust, and my AIO top mounted with a pull configuration using some 1500 RPM Thermaltake Radiator fans. I have also removed all but 1 of the hard drive mounts to lessen the restrictions on airflow.

If someone could help me figure out what it is that could be causing this, I'd be extremely grateful!

28E9C0C5-7B73-4E41-9238-813E7837F18F.jpeg

641CBE55-DDBD-4B29-8473-19DA2A589D4F.jpeg

46176100-E149-46E2-BBA9-88B1D7400AB1.jpeg

Just now, ShadicWind201 said:

figuring out why my NB and HT are running so hot.

ht doesn't really make heat, its a wire

The north bride always runs hot, its a old design.

Don't worry about nt temps, thats normall, it will last many years at 80c

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

ht doesn't really make heat, its a wire

The north bride always runs hot, its a old design.

Don't worry about nt temps, thats normall, it will last many years at 80c

problem is that it gets up to 86C-90C load and then blue screens...

problem is that it gets up to 86C-90C load and then blue screens...

is there a oc on the cpu? thats probably your problem, its very unlikey the temps are causing the bluescreen.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

is there a oc on the cpu? thats probably your problem, its very unlikey the temps are causing the bluescreen.

yes there is an oc. the base clock speed of a FX-8350 is 4.0 GHz with a 4.2 GHz Turbo. I have it overclocked to about 4.623 GHz. But it's stable when I have my side panel open, and was stable with it on during the winter when I first built it.

yes there is an oc. the base clock speed of a FX-8350 is 4.0 GHz with a 4.2 GHz Turbo. I have it overclocked to about 4.623 GHz. But it's stable when I have my side panel open, and was stable with it on during the winter when I first built it.

get rid of the oc if there are any stability issues first.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

get rid of the oc if there are any stability issues first.

I 100% understand that if I get rid of the oc, it would become stable again. However, if I get rid of the oc, my gaming performance and rendering performance take a huge hit. So, I think you can understand my reluctance to drop the oc flat out...

Edited by ShadicWind201

6 minutes ago, ShadicWind201 said:

I 100% understand that if I get rid of the oc, it would become stable again. However, if I get rid of the oc, my gaming performance and rendering performance take a huge hit. So, I think you can understand my reluctance to drop the oc flat out...

then only lower the OC a little ... maybe to 4.5 GHz ... 

you say it's stable with the side panel open - does that also include the fan blowing on the mainboard like that ? 

maybe mounting a small fan on the NB heatspreader might help. 

these here are not loud at all and might move just enough air: https://www.amazon.com/Noiseblocker-NB-BlackSilentFan-40x40x10mm-Silent-3800RPM/dp/B00ZB7TD4G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498068771&sr=8-2&keywords=Noiseblocker+BlackSilentFan+40mm