New build for the next 3-4 years, looking for advices

Avie

Hello peeps,

I have the oportunity to sell my 2014 x79 platform and will use the money to pay for the upgrade to the x299  / LGA2066. Here are the core parts I'll use:

ASUS TUF X299 MARK I

- I have had the x79 TUF and it's been flawless so I'm happy to keep going with this model, plus some of the included accesories look nice. Vertical m.2 looks meh tho.  

Intel Core i7-7800X

- 24 Lanes so I can plug a x16 and two m.2 without downgrading to x8 x4 x4

Asus 1080ti 

- the 1080ti has two hdmi ports, one for the screen, the other for a VR headset that I will purchase with the build.

"Then the usual Ram, SSD storage, PSU ect .."

- What I am looking for here is about the board and upcoming technologies, I see more and more expansion cards using PCIe lanes.

Are some really good upcoming tools/features developing ? 

I was wondering about how far are we from maxing the x8 lanes for the gpu ? How long before we actually need the x16 ?

- This is obviously a gaming rig, my plan is to VR the crap out of Star Citizen and similarily demanding titles.

Will these games finally saturate a x8 GPU config ? Do I need to plan for a CPU / MB Config that can reach 30/40 lanes ? 

The x99 Plateform is starting to date, the z170 has barely 16 lanes, so does the z270 and since Linus's critic of the new intel CPUs for x299, I am not confident that this rig will meet my demands for the next years.

Also, getting older I do not care so much about blings and OC features on boards, I was looking for a stable 24/30 Lanes MB/CPU Combo with 2+ m.2 slots but couldn't find a recent one. If this is something you know about, thanks for sharing it.

Thanks for your time and help, Avie.

2 minutes ago, Avie said:

Intel Core i7-7800X

- 24 Lanes so I can plug a x16 and two m.2 without downgrading to x8 x4 x4

You can also do that on a i7 7700k or rzyen. There are pcie lanes on the chipset aswell.

Also 16x vs 8x doesn't make a difference for gpus'

3 minutes ago, Avie said:

Will these games finally saturate a x8 GPU config ? Do I need to plan for a CPU / MB Config that can reach 30/40 lanes ? 

Lanes won't be a problem, a 1151 will have more than enough lanes for your

3 minutes ago, Avie said:

the z170 has barely 16 lanes,

z170 has 20 lanes and the cpu has anouther 16, more than enough for almost any gaming rig.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can also do that on a i7 7700k or rzyen. There are pcie lanes on the chipset aswell.

i7 7700k Max # of PCI Express Lanes16 Source Intel CPUs Specifications Website 

If I remember, the CPU dictates how many lines, the board is only how you use them.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Also 16x vs 8x doesn't make a difference for gpus'

Lanes won't be a problem, a 1151 will have more than enough lanes for your

Until when ? How far are we from saturation ?

1 minute ago, Avie said:

If I remember, the CPU dictates how many lines, the board is only how you use them.

Thats lanes on the cpu, the chipset has anouther 20-24 lanes for m.2 wifi, nics, sata, audio, usb3 and other devices.

1 minute ago, Avie said:

Until when ? How far are we from saturation ?

The lanes on lga 1151 will be fine for a gaming pc for many years. Gpu's don't seem to need any more bandwidth for games, and things like storage are more than fast enough now for gaming pcs.

You want 3-4 years of gaming futureproofness?

Shove two 1080Tis in that puppy and you're set.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thats lanes on the cpu, the chipset has anouther 20-24 lanes for m.2 wifi, nics, sata, audio, usb3 and other devices.

The lanes on lga 1151 will be fine for a gaming pc for many years. Gpu's don't seem to need any more bandwidth for games, and things like storage are more than fast enough now for gaming pcs.

Thanks for your time and answers, last ones for you:

- PSU for this config, can I go back to 750w or do I stick with 1000w ?

- Do you have knowledge of a better (upcoming) x299 Board for what I intend to do ? The ones available do not really tingle me atm. 

6 minutes ago, lilbman said:

You want 3-4 years of gaming futureproofness?

Shove two 1080Tis in that puppy and you're set.

I'm moving away from SLI, I have had two 780ti since 2014, it's been great but many titles are giving me troubles in recent times.

1 minute ago, Avie said:

Thanks for your time and answers, last ones for you:

- PSU for this config, can I go back to 750w or do I stick with 1000w ?

- Do you have knowledge of a better (upcoming) x299 Board for what I intend to do ? The ones available do not really tingle me atm. 

a 550 or 650w psu will be fine, you really don't need that much power.

id really stay away from x299 for gaming, and just go with z270 or x370.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thanks again :)

Z270 (i7 7700K) is the best platform for a High FPS Gaming rig.

B350 (Ryzen 5/7) for the best all rounder platform and best price/performance. Ryzen is good at everything, just a tad bit slower at high FPS Gaming.

Wait for Threadripper for maximum I/O and Expansion (64 PCIe Lanes).

Just now, FTL said:

Z270 (i7 7700K) is the best platform for a High FPS Gaming rig.

B350 (Ryzen 5/7) for the best all rounder platform and best price/performance. Ryzen is good at everything, just a tad bit slower at high FPS Gaming.

Wait for Threadripper for maximum I/O and Expansion (64 PCIe Lanes).

Thanks for your answer. Not exactly a blue vs red guy. I have enjoyed asus - intel combo for a long time now so I'll most likely stick to it.

Just now, Avie said:

Thanks for your answer. Not exactly a blue vs red guy. I have enjoyed asus - intel combo for a long time now so I'll most likely stick to it.

Would at least wait for the release of Threadripper before making a decision on buying into a High End Platform. And also, don't pre-order anything.

1 minute ago, FTL said:

Would at least wait for the release of Threadripper before making a decision on buying into a High End Platform. And also, don't pre-order anything.

Yes it looks like I'll go for a z270 as E.W advised >>>>

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This opportunity I have is on a clock, I'll need to have everything in hand before mid July, ence why I am looking away from Threadripper.

What is wrong with your current system ? Even though X79 is a few years old it is still a good platform. Assuming you are gaming at 4K then you are not going to see much difference in performance with a new cpu as the gpu is more of a bottleneck.

Also why do you need lots of pcie lanes if you are running a single GTX 1080 ti ? As for M.2 SSD's they also don't really benefit you much unless you are working with large files. For gaming or booting windows etc a standard SATA SSD will do just as well.

4 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

What is wrong with your current system ? Even though X79 is a few years old it is still a good platform. Assuming you are gaming at 4K then you are not going to see much difference in performance with a new cpu as the gpu is more of a bottleneck.

Also why do you need lots of pcie lanes if you are running a single GTX 1080 ti ? As for M.2 SSD's they also don't really benefit you much unless you are working with large files. For gaming or booting windows etc a standard SATA SSD will do just as well.

Hello Lee,

x79 is starting to get old, many features with recent techs are not working so well. It doesn't have m.2 slots and this is something I wish to get.

Also I am moving back to Europe soon and bringing my computer with me is a bothersome task for one and secondly, the prices compared to USA are about 20-30% higher.

Finally somebody offered to buy my current system for a decent price.

All this combined makes a good oportunity to upgrade.

I am gaming at 1440p, I do not care about 4k yet. Although VR for Simulators is one of my goals.

About the PCIe lanes, as I said I am concerned about new techs developing that would benefits from them as well as the saturation of a x8 GPU config from demanding future titles. E.W Answered that concern earlier.

Just now, Avie said:

Hello Lee,

x79 is starting to get old, many features with recent techs are not working so well. It doesn't have m.2 slots and this is something I wish to get.

Also I am moving back to Europe soon and bringing my computer with me is a bothersome task for one and secondly, the prices compared to USA are about 20-30% higher.

Finally somebody offered to buy my current system for a decent price.

All this combined makes a good oportunity to upgrade.

I am gaming at 1440p, I do not care about 4k yet. Although VR for Simulators is one of my goals.

About the PCIe lanes, as I said I am concerned about new techs developing that would benefits from them as well as the saturation of a x8 GPU config from demanding future titles. E.W Answered that concern earlier.

The M.2 NVMe SSD's are not really worth the money imo if you are purely gaming. They have faster read/write speeds for sure but it doesn't really make any difference for games. Maybe if you are running a heavily modded game that has lots of large textures you might see a difference, but otherwise good old SATA is still fine.

For the gpu you will be getting x16 if you only have a single card. You would only drop down to x8 if you went SLI.

Just be aware that it isn't going to be a huge performance upgrade on what you already have (imo) if you go with an i7 6700K/7700K.  

14 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The M.2 NVMe SSD's are not really worth the money imo if you are purely gaming. They have faster read/write speeds for sure but it doesn't really make any difference for games. Maybe if you are running a heavily modded game that has lots of large textures you might see a difference, but otherwise good old SATA is still fine.

For the gpu you will be getting x16 if you only have a single card. You would only drop down to x8 if you went SLI.

Just be aware that it isn't going to be a huge performance upgrade on what you already have (imo) if you go with an i7 6700K/7700K.  

Yes I realize, since I'm running a 4930k the 7700k is not going to be a great upgrade. I'm looking forward to the 1080ti over the 780tis tho.

Thanks for your time and advices.