Thermal Grizzly Application

After years and years of watching and being told not to apply thermal paste in any other way than in the center of the CPU in a small dab, I see this in regards to Thermal Grizzly's Grease; 

Does anybody have any experience with this thermal paste/grease, and/or recommend any for an i7 7700K going under a Corsair H100i. 

Also, opinions on how this was applied.

| i'm bad at games, but play them anyways |

To make a long story very short, with the exception of specialized liquid metal pastes, the method of applying it matters very little. If you use too little, you'll know very quickly as your temperatures run hot. If you use too much, you'll make a mess. If you use too much and it's electrically conductive, you're potentially screwed.

I typically just do whatever the paste manufacturer says to in their instructions. I mean, they designed and tested the stuff, so you'd hope they'd know what works best for their product. If they don't give a specific application method, I'll do a fat pea in the center of the CPU to make sure there's plenty to spread.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

the results for second application in the video are actually totally fine. that really is enough paste since you only actually need it where the actual die is underneath, which is most cases is the center.

there is nothing wrong with the first application either though. it just spreads it out more.

i personally like the second application more because there is less chance of spillover, or too much TIM, which can be a problem.

however realistically, as far as performance goes, there is no noticable difference. Linus made a video about it a while back

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

To make a long story very short, with the exception of specialized liquid metal pastes, the method of applying it matters very little. If you use too little, you'll know very quickly as your temperatures run hot. If you use too much, you'll make a mess. If you use too much and it's electrically conductive, you're potentially screwed.

I typically just do whatever the paste manufacturer says to in their instructions. I mean, they designed and tested the stuff, so you'd hope they'd know what works best for their product. If they don't give a specific application method, I'll do a fat pea in the center of the CPU to make sure there's plenty to spread.

And as seen in the video at the second application of it, is that spread enough to do it's job? Because I personally thought that the first application spread over the edge of the CPU, unless i'm mistaken.

it doesnt matter how you apply the paste, do it however you like, spread, pea who cares. it just matters how much you use, not too much not too little.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

kryonaut is not liquid metal. its thermal paste 

Just now, Siq said:

And as seen in the video at the second application of it, is that spread enough to do it's job?

people dont seem to realize you dont want a lot of TIM.  its sole purpose is to conduct heat between 2 metals that cant touch perfectly. its just there to fill tiny gaps. less really is more.

and like i said, it only matters to have it directly over the die which is generally in the middle.

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 minute ago, Emanuel_M said:

kryonaut is not liquid metal. its thermal paste 

...I never said it was?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, Emanuel_M said:

it doesnt matter how you apply the paste, do it however you like, spread, pea who cares. it just matters how much you use, not too much not too little.

Fair enough, thank you.

1 minute ago, Tsuki said:

people dont seem to realize you dont want a lot of TIM.  its sole purpose is to conduct heat between 2 metals that cant touch perfectly. its just there to fill tiny gaps. less really is more.

and like i said, it only matters to have it directly over the die which is generally in the middle.

I knew it was to transfer heat between the two metals, but wasn't aware that two metals in this case actually didn't touch perfectly, thank you.

36 minutes ago, Siq said:

Fair enough, thank you.

I knew it was to transfer heat between the two metals, but wasn't aware that two metals in this case actually didn't touch perfectly, thank you.

yep, the manufacturing process cant make them perfectly smooth, they are usually extremely convex, not that you could tell by just looking at it.  there is a process called Lapping that some people do, which involves actually sanding down the processor and the heatsink down to a mirror finish, allowing for closer contact, thus needing even less TIM and reducing temperatures. (i dont personally recommend this but its interesting to look into)

|Specs in profile|

2 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

yep, the manufacturing process cant make them perfectly smooth, they are usually extremely convex, not that you could tell by just looking at it.  there is a process called Lapping that some people do, which involves actually sanding down the processor and the heatsink down to a mirror finish, allowing for closer contact, thus needing even less TIM and reducing temperatures. (i dont personally recommend this but its interesting to look into)

Kinda sounds like an unnecessary task to perform....

1 minute ago, Siq said:

Kinda sounds like an unnecessary task to perform....

completely destroy your warrenty to get 5ish degrees?  worth

|Specs in profile|

27 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

completely destroy your warrenty to get 5ish degrees?  worth

Pretty much. I don't get my 7700K till next week, and I know I want to overclock, but like, I'm not willing to go delid or 'sand' my cpu.. Maybe if like, I know I can afford to lose a cpu ahaha.