PSU Future proofing?

Dreaper

Hey guys canceled my order for my 1k watts PSU due to the price and put it towards custom cooling. What wattage should i get that will last me awhile? currently i have a 750W

What are you trying to run. do you have plans for a multi-GPU setup or a ton of storage?

Just now, kerradeph said:

What are you trying to run. do you have plans for a multi-GPU setup or a ton of storage?

Umm i have 1 m.2, a ssd, and 2 hdds and no plans for multi GPU. Can i just stick with my current PSU?

Depends on your system and what you plan to do. The wattage won't go away over time so if you don't plan on adding much, there's no need to "future proof" anything. 

Really, we need to know your specs and plans for upgrades. If your system pulls a max of 300W and you plan on adding maybe an SSD, you certainly don't need 1K watts.

Just now, Dreaper said:

Umm i have 1 m.2, a ssd, and 2 hdds and no plans for multi GPU. Can i just stick with my current PSU?

Yes, unless it's hideously old or not that efficient, 750 watts is a lot. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Yes, unless it's hideously old or not that efficient, 750 watts is a lot. 

its 80+ gold that good enough?

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Depends on your system and what you plan to do. The wattage won't go away over time so if you don't plan on adding much, there's no need to "future proof" anything. 

Really, we need to know your specs and plans for upgrades. If your system pulls a max of 300W and you plan on adding maybe an SSD, you certainly don't need 1K watts.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4bVjD8

Just now, Dreaper said:

its 80+ gold that good enough?

I have a Gold rated PSU, that's pretty much average now for users, should do you another build or two, and it won't be because it can't power a rig when you need to replace it but more likely a failure of some kind, PC's aren't getting that much more power hungry. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

I have a Gold rated PSU, that's pretty much average now for users, should do you another build or two, and it won't be because it can't power a rig when you need to replace it but more likely a failure of some kind, PC's aren't getting that much more power hungry. 

this is my specs but its not very accurate considering it doesnt include the custom cooling and mobo https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4bVjD8

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Even 750W is more than enough for your system. You can run it comfortably with 550W. Absolutely no need at all for 1K watts.

Thing is it doesnt register mobo power and custom cooling power :)

Just now, Dreaper said:

Even then, 750W is more than enough. Even for dual GPU systems, 1K watts is not needed with modern GPUs as everything is getting more power efficient. 

1 minute ago, Dreaper said:

this is my specs but its not very accurate considering it doesnt include the custom cooling and mobo https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4bVjD8

With pre-release hardware stuff isn't always listed quickly. If you overclock it pretty hard you can run near the 650 mark in power virus tests, maybe 750 if you do GPU, RAM and CPU all at once, but real world won't get near that. Use an online power calculator to get a rough idea what it actually uses. 

Yours faithfully

6 minutes ago, Dreaper said:

Most watercooling hardware doesn't use that much power. What do most pumps run off of... SATA power?

What is your current PSU?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 minutes ago, Dreaper said:

https://outervision.com/b/CHFKf6

Those are my results for my current rig, I change my video card a lot so that isn't really comparable but at max load currently I'd use about 555w, so nice and round. 

Yours faithfully

7 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

https://outervision.com/b/CHFKf6

Those are my results for my current rig, I change my video card a lot so that isn't really comparable but at max load currently I'd use about 555w, so nice and round. 

A GTX 680 and 7700K system wouldn't use 605W if you overclocked all the hardware on LN2 on insane voltages. Never trust the Outervision calculator - all it does is hopelessly over-exaggerate the actual power draw of the system. The Cooler Master calculator has monetary incentive to exaggerate the draw as well. You're best off looking up power draw of your CPU or GPU using Guru3D reviews to get an actual measurement of the power consumption of your system.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

19 minutes ago, Dreaper said:

The system you linked here would draw about 450W under load with OC.

51 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

A GTX 680 and 7700K system wouldn't use 605W if you overclocked all the hardware on LN2 on insane voltages. Never trust the Outervision calculator - all it does is hopelessly over-exaggerate the actual power draw of the system. The Cooler Master calculator has monetary incentive to exaggerate the draw as well. You're best off looking up power draw of your CPU or GPU using Guru3D reviews to get an actual measurement of the power consumption of your system.

You're right, it wouldn't, it would use 555 watts. I did mention these are rough figures, I also always assume that it is hypothetically a power virus being run on everything. My PSU's fan turns on around 40%, on 850 watts that is well below 555 watts, so I know that's an exaggeration, however exaggerating power supply needs isn't too bad, it is better than over rating them. I have two GTX 480's for SLI fucking around, the calculator says I need 1000 watts, but clearly my 850 was enough because they worked on full load. So 300 watts is about 30% over rated. I like it because it considers fans, RAM and HDD's (all of which use power, although DDR4 uses fuck all)

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

You're right, it wouldn't, it would use 555 watts. I did mention these are rough figures, I also always assume that it is hypothetically a power virus being run on everything. My PSU's fan turns on around 40%, on 850 watts that is well below 555 watts, so I know that's an exaggeration, however exaggerating power supply needs isn't too bad, it is better than over rating them. I have two GTX 480's for SLI fucking around, the calculator says I need 1000 watts, but clearly my 850 was enough because they worked on full load. So 300 watts is about 30% over rated. I like it because it considers fans, RAM and HDD's (all of which use power, although DDR4 uses fuck all)

The only thing that requires a non-negligible amount of power is a desktop HDD which might draw up to 10-12 watts for a WD Black. That said, the only noteworthy things of draw are the GPU and CPU and those in 99% of systems don't exceed 300W. 

Your 680 would still not use 555W either. Conveniently I have a video of power draw (from the wall, so more than actual system power draw from the PSU) for a 680 system from JayzTwoCents awhile back.

TL;DR about 360W for a 3770K with OC and a GTX 680 with OC (on water too) under max load from the wall with an 80 PLUS Gold-rated unit, so let's do some math. 

90% efficiency at 50% load for 80 PLUS Gold Standard for his AX750.

360W from the wall.

.9*360 = 324

So that's an exact load wattage for his system.

11 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Well, speaking of the 680, I had a custom watercool system that had an overclock 2500k and two 680s in SLI powered by a Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550w PSU, and the fan would not turn on except in benching situation and even then, it only turned on intermittently - meaning it was around 500wDC load (which is perfectly find for the LZP as it can function as a 650w Gold unit).

Someone with the similar configuration with a PSU whose based on the platform that my LZP is had gotten similar results as he had stated here: [LINK]

And speaking of the 480, while I'm not suggesting you should do this, Antec had powered a system with a Nehalem based i7 980x with two 480s in SLI while running Vantage. lol

12 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I have to disagree with "The wattage won't go away over time". Over time, components inside a PSU tend to degrade, and a 750w psu today, might drop as low as 700w or even lower over a period of 5+ years (depending on the quality of parts used in manufacturing). Depending on your power usage, as a rule of thumb, I'd add an extra 10-15% over your power draw. So If your system uses 400w, you should get a psu that is at least 460w, if not 500w.

Most systems with a single gpu, minimal or no overclocking of cpu or gpu, and 2 or 3 hard drives, generally don't use more than 400w.

So unless you'll be putting in multiple gpus in there, you should be fine with anything in the 500-600w psu range. If you can find a PSU with 100% Japanese solid capacitors, that's a bonus.

Just my 2 cents, wish you luck :)

11 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

snip

My local mains power is 240v, sometimes goes up to 255 (load jumps around, it isn't super massively regulated) so I get an extra 1 to 2 percent power efficiency. Like I said, I like the calculators as spits out a number that people can go off. That said I can measure power from my wall right now and see what the system actually draws, that might be a fun one actually, I'm go do that. 

Yours faithfully

13 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

-snip-

Results are in @STRMfrmXMN, wanna guess what they are before you look? I mostly tested Cinebench and Furmark, but threw some other ones in too since both of my multimeters are fairly accurate, so they could see the drop. All results in watts are rounded, however Amps and volts were lift incase someone wants exact figures. 

Spoiler

"Idle"                0.404A    238v    96 watts from wall
Cinebench R15            0.852A    238v    202 "
Cinebench OpenGL test        0.894A    238v    213 "
Furmark 1080p, no GPU OC        1.202A    238v    286 "
Furmark 1080p GPU OC        1.358A    237v    322 "
Cinebench + Furmack OC        1.705A    237v    404 "
Prime95 Blend (RAM mostly)         0.770A    239v    184 "
Firestrike combined (no GPU OC)    1.175A    238v    280 "
Firestrike Combined GPU OC        1.284A    237v    304 "
GTA V No VSync            1.247A    238v    297 "
GPU fan 85% (system fans full)        0.425A    239v    102 "
GPU fan 30%    "            0.412A    239v    96 "
System Fans 100% (GPU fan 30%)    "    "    "
System fans silent mode "        0.385A    238v    92 "

For a formated .TXT file with the results in vertical columns all nicely spaced, here it is

wattageresults.txt

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Results are in @STRMfrmXMN, wanna guess what they are before you look? I mostly tested Cinebench and Furmark, but threw some other ones in too since both of my multimeters are fairly accurate, so they could see the drop. All results in watts are rounded, however Amps and volts were lift incase someone wants exact figures. 

Reveal hidden contents

"Idle"                0.404A    238v    96 watts from wall
Cinebench R15            0.852A    238v    202 "
Cinebench OpenGL test        0.894A    238v    213 "
Furmark 1080p, no GPU OC        1.202A    238v    286 "
Furmark 1080p GPU OC        1.358A    237v    322 "
Cinebench + Furmack OC        1.705A    237v    404 "
Prime95 Blend (RAM mostly)         0.770A    239v    184 "
Firestrike combined (no GPU OC)    1.175A    238v    280 "
Firestrike Combined GPU OC        1.284A    237v    304 "
GTA V No VSync            1.247A    238v    297 "
GPU fan 85% (system fans full)        0.425A    239v    102 "
GPU fan 30%    "            0.412A    239v    96 "
System Fans 100% (GPU fan 30%)    "    "    "
System fans silent mode "        0.385A    238v    92 "

For a formated .TXT file with the results in vertical columns all nicely spaced, here it is

wattageresults.txt

I'm gonna guess from the wall for your 7700K system and 680 will hit about 370W from the wall since 7700Ks use quite a bit of power. Anndddd....

304W from the wall? Wow, even less than I thought!

21 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I'm gonna guess from the wall for your 7700K system and 680 will hit about 370W from the wall since 7700Ks use quite a bit of power. Anndddd....

304W from the wall? Wow, even less than I thought!

Well, my I7 7700K is a pretty nice example, it might be able to clock as high as better ones, but it's power usage and thermals are lower than some others, The stand in GTX 680 I'm using however is a pile of shit that  I hate.

Yours faithfully