1080ti Supposed to get this hot?

atavax

I got a 1080ti founders edition today and i haven't overclocked it or anything and its running at 84-85C and my PC is not crashing or anything, but with a $700 card, i just want to make sure i'm not killing it.

If you are overclocking your card it will get hotter so try lowering the core clock speed as well as the memory clock. Also push the fan speed to maximum, you can do this by downloading Msi Afterburner, here's the link: https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

4 minutes ago, Rewend Ibrahim said:

If you are overclocking your card it will get hotter so try lowering the core clock speed as well as the memory clock. Also push fan the speed to maximum, you can do this by downloading Msi Afterburner, here's the link: https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

i'm not overclocking the card. its stock and its reaching this temp and i want to make sure its fine.

7 minutes ago, atavax said:

I got a 1080ti founders edition today and i haven't overclocked it or anything and its running at 84-85C and my PC is not crashing or anything, but with a $700 card, i just want to make sure i'm not killing it.

Is the fan on auto?

1 minute ago, Snaeb said:

Is the fan on auto?

i think so, i just plugged the card in and downloaded the latest nvidia driver for it.

2 minutes ago, atavax said:

i'm not overclocking the card. its stock and its reaching this temp and i want to make sure its fine.

Push the fun speed to maixmum

8 minutes ago, atavax said:

i think so, i just plugged the card in and downloaded the latest nvidia driver for it.

Adjust the fan curve

9 minutes ago, Rewend Ibrahim said:

Push the fun speed to maixmum

theres nothing wrong with it though? why make your ears wanna die when nothing is wrong?

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

2 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

theres nothing wrong with it though? why make your ears wanna die when nothing is wrong?

High temps can be some serious problems and can even sometimes lead to damaging the card. Plus your ears won't be willing to die -_- 

31 minutes ago, Rewend Ibrahim said:

High temps can be some serious problems and can even sometimes lead to damaging the card. Plus your ears won't be willing to die -_- 

85c isnt a dangerous temp though. they are designed to run at that temperature i dont understand why you think its a bad thing

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

3 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

85c isnt a dangerous temp though. they are designed to run at that temperature i dont understand why you think its a bad thing

Well if you use the card 4hrs a day for gaming and even more, the card will always be on high temps. And if you the case (tower) doesn't have a good air flow the card will get even hotter.

Note: There's not only the graphics card that can get to high temps

a cpu is also very likely to get to 85C and power supplies too. So it would be really hot in the case and could lead to damaging the components of the pc.

First thing its a founders card its known for not the best cooling

Second 85C will not damage your card long term

Third Consider getting a Hybrid kit for it too probably slash your temps by at least a third.

Forthly. What was your reasoning for getting a Founders Card

42 minutes ago, atavax said:

yeah, those are normal temperatures. Personally I don't like it and that's why I decided to purchase a Kraken G10 ($20) and hooked it up with a corsair H50 ($40). It's an extra cost, but the good news is that you can always remove it and use it on your next gpu. I used it on 980 ti and now on 1080 ti. My card never goes higher than 65c under load and it runs silent. I don't know what your budget is, but I would strongly recommend this because it's re-usable and improves your temps/noise levels. Plus it's fun tinkering with these things. 

24 minutes ago, Rewend Ibrahim said:

Well if you use the card 4hrs a day for gaming and even more, the card will always be on high temps. And if you the case (tower) doesn't have a good air flow the card will get even hotter.

Note: There's not only the graphics card that can get to high temps

a cpu is also very likely to get to 85C and power supplies too. So it would be really hot in the case and could lead to damaging the components of the pc.

not being rude but I know what I'm talking about here I'm aware other PC components produce heat as well. Anyways, you could run that 1080 ti at 85c 24/7 folding or something for the next 3 years and it just wont hurt it. Also the reference coolers take the GPU heat directly out of the rear of the card, so very little of the heat the card produces actually goes into the case and effects temperatures of other components. You would know that if you knew what you were talking about. Also power supplies rarely go over 50c, if it does there is something wrong. At 85c any PSU has a serious chance of death and unless the fan has died, no PSU should EVER get that hot. 

27 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

Third Consider getting a Hybrid kit for it too probably slash your temps by at least a third.

Forthly. What was your reasoning for getting a Founders Card

I think its likely that after i upgrade my cpu/motherboard i will likely switch to a SFF case. My understanding is that blowers are better for SFF cases. Also its my understanding that watercooling kits are often only compatible with reference boards, so if i want to eventually switch to a AIO kit, i would want a reference card. Finally, its like $70 cheaper and i didn't plan on stressing the card to hard in the near future, i currently only have a 144hz 1080p monitor.

1 minute ago, atavax said:

I think its likely that after i upgrade my cpu/motherboard i will likely switch to a SFF case. My understanding is that blowers are better for SFF cases. Also its my understanding that watercooling kits are often only compatible with reference boards, so if i want to eventually switch to a AIO kit, i would want a reference card. Finally, its like $70 cheaper.

You have a FOUNDERS CARD which is a REFERENCE BOARD so you could get the EVGA Hybrid kit no problem. Blower style cards are better for small form factor cases as they exhaust the air out the back.

custom fan profiles are the way to go on reference cards. my titan xp runs past 1900mhz with the fan at max and keeps temps below 70C.

1 minute ago, danrey84 said:

You have a FOUNDERS CARD which is a REFERENCE BOARD so you could get the EVGA Hybrid kit no problem. Blower style cards are better for small form factor cases as they exhaust the air out the back.

yes, i was listing the reasons i got a founders card. one of the reasons is that if i wanted to eventually switch to a hybrid kit or an liquid kit, i would be able to with the founders card.

Ahhhh i get you. So sorry. Yea good choice. I know EVGA do a FTW Hybrid kit too for the people who has FTW air cooled cards which I did. I Ended up cooling mine with the AIO kit

Should be fine.

I used to have 2x reference 780ti in SLi some time ago, and they were running 90C (I upped temp limit) without adjusting fan curve.

And I used it very regularly for over a 1 year. Eventually went to non-reference 2x 980ti SLi, which I also let them run pretty hot as I did not want to hear additional noise.

I don't run my second 1080 ti (and my first when it still had the FE blower) on anything less than 100% fan speed lul.

64 degrees on the FE blower while mining lel xD

1 minute ago, DoctorZeus said:

100% fan speed lul.

Holy crap, it must be ultra loud (unless they somehow made the FE/Referece fans made to run quieter).