R7 1700 or i7 7800X?

Sorry for the late reply, a storm took our internet down. 

I know I could go the 7700K route but frankly, I'd rather spend the extra and get the 7800X for one reason - streaming. If (and It's a big if) anything happens to the second stream PC then I'll be covered and should be able to stream from the 7800X without issues. Especially as I plan to overclock it as far as I can. As tempting as the 1700 is, the 7800 is only £50 more expensive meaning It's the same price as the 1700X for me.

Answer:

Ryzen 1700 without any doubt.

Here is what i did account to make a decision: 

Multithreaded apps like 7zip, transcoders, and synthetics show they are neck a neck. This is quite impressive considering the TDP diferences. Keep in mind practically need a watercooler to cooldown an Intel Octacore. I myself got a 5820K @ 4.0Ghz with a beefy dual tower air heatsink. Summer i see high 70's. Intel does no recommend you to go above 80ºC on the package and i saw 82ºC in the sensor. Expect WORSE thermal performance, since it has two more cores plus it has TIM between core and IHS instead of being soldered like mine is. So high temps are expected = More money into heatsinks, AIO, etc. Your workload will keep the CPU working hard, not 100% but hard. So high temps are expected 24/7 for your case with Intel. AMD is not that not, but it can handle far less temp too. All in all, people all over internet are claiming to keep 1800X overclocked to 4.0Ghz under 70ºC which is damn nice. Ryzen IS soldered der8auer attempted to delid some of them and many were damaged because of the soldering. And also... delidding didnt help the temps by one bit. Something we can´t say about the Newer intel. It's all TIM. once you delid instant delta -20ºC on load. I bet you won't delid it, so Ryzen wins here.

Games favor intel up to 15% clock per clock. Ryzen tops out at 4.1Ghz. Intel can archive 4.5Ghz if your cooling solutions are capable of such titanic task. Expect high 80's and 90's. OC3D did a video en 7900x (10 core variant) with high 90'sºC. once overclocked beyond 4.5Ghz. 

From a pure gaming perspective, Intel has upper hand. Not by much but still Intel wins this one. 

Price: Well Ryzen is cheaper, motherboards are cheaper, CPU is cheaper, a no brainier win for AMD. 

For pure gaming: 6700K is best bang for buck, z170 motherboards are dropping price like crazy and it performs neck a neck with 7700K, both outperform Ryzen and 7800X gaming wise and half the price. If you really will implement two PC's, then don't spend on cash for the latest and greatest, buy your gaming rig, and use it  until you set up a sidekick PC to handle the stream. Or even better, set up a game capture card like "ElGato" to handle it for you. Even cheaper. 

If this is not an option, then Ryzen is. 

On 6/20/2017 at 11:15 AM, elKz said:

I've spent the past week putting together a new system and figuring out how to finance it, meanwhile Intel have been releasing new processors that I wasn't even aware of because I don't pay attention to the latest releases that much and just go for what's the latest at the time. I can see that the X299 motherboards are slightly pricier but that doesn't bother me, what would be better? I plan on gaming mainly, I'll be using it to stream to Twitch too but I'm hoping to have a two system setup to reduce lag.

Can anyone offer me some advice please?

it depends... the 7800 will ALWAYS beat the 1700, but its like 3x more expensive. its up to you, really. performance or price? 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Firstly, what resolution and refresh rate are you gaming at and secondly what kinds of games? If 1080p, probably Intel. If 4k, probably AMD. If 1440p, Intel gets you a minor bump. If you play twitch multiplayer games that need high refresh rates for accuracy on a regular basis, then Intel is the path to go. If you don't, then AMD is generally the better choice since while they have a lower refresh rate it's still high enough and the framerate band tends to be significantly narrower which makes for a much smoother gaming experience.

1 hour ago, Nickathom said:

it depends... the 7800 will ALWAYS beat the 1700, but its like 3x more expensive. its up to you, really. performance or price? 

The 1700 is £300, the 7800X is £350. 

36 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Firstly, what resolution and refresh rate are you gaming at and secondly what kinds of games? If 1080p, probably Intel. If 4k, probably AMD. If 1440p, Intel gets you a minor bump. If you play twitch multiplayer games that need high refresh rates for accuracy on a regular basis, then Intel is the path to go. If you don't, then AMD is generally the better choice since while they have a lower refresh rate it's still high enough and the framerate band tends to be significantly narrower which makes for a much smoother gaming experience.

I'm gaming at 1440p@144Hz. I play pretty much everything, so Intel looks like the route to go for me. But I'm now considering hanging on for Cannonlake thanks to other people mentioning it.

4 minutes ago, elKz said:

The 1700 is £300, the 7800X is £350. 

I'm gaming at 1440p@144Hz. I play pretty much everything, so Intel looks like the route to go for me. But I'm now considering hanging on for Cannonlake thanks to other people mentioning it.

oh LOL im retarded

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Just now, Nickathom said:

oh LOL im retarded

Honestly, with the bad naming of these new processors It's easy to think the 7800X is the 7900X and It's like double the price lol. 

27 minutes ago, elKz said:

But I'm now considering hanging on for Cannonlake thanks to other people mentioning it.

Not a bad idea, especially since Threadripper might depress prices further or if the rumors of B2 stepping for Ryzen are true you might see slightly better numbers there.

On 20/06/2017 at 8:02 PM, pelark said:

That's almost like saying the FX 8350 is better than a i5 4690k cuz it has twice the cores, ya should think about IPC, cache and such.

Sorry is 167 cinebench single core and 16mb cache not enough for you? 

Comparing ryzen and x299 is no where near comparing fx vs haswell 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933