Linus i9 7900X review... Opinions?

Just now, othertomperson said:

Disagreeing with you isn't a "tantrum". I'm not changing anything about my argument. I've said many times now: the problem is latency. Devs can't do shit about the architecture of any of these CPUs. They can't make Ryzen magically one single big CCX (which would have its own problems), they can't put a ring bus back on a 7900l, all they can do is mitigate the effect -- which is latency.

I'm not "trying to sound intelligent". I'm sorry if I confused you with a big word. I'll stick to monosyllabic words from now on. And there's nothing "lower class" or unintelligent about the word fuck. There is something highly unbecoming of your snobbery, however.

Dude why are you acting so ridiculous. You started swearing at him and acting all bent out of shape over something so dumb. You are arguing semantics.   

CPU: Ryzen R7 1800x (4.0GHz) | AIO: Master Liquid Pro 240 | MOBO:  MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

RAM:  Gskill TridentZ RGB 3200(16gb) | GPU: Evga FTW ACX  3.0 GTX 1080(2x)

SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb | HSSD: Seagate 2TB | Case: InWin 303 Black | PSU: Evga 210 1000w

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

I have a 3440 x 1440 right next to a 4k, and the 3440 x 1440 is my got to every time.  It's just very usable with all of that real estate.  Don't get me wrong, 4k has tons of real estate, but it's just not as usable and when Windows scaling sucks, it SUCKS!

I agree. 3440x1440 is great for gaming and multi tasking. Agreed, I have a 4k monitor at work and windows scaling is awful . Working from home is always so much better. I mean I have no doubt my 1080s could run most games fine at 4k but at 3440x1440 I get more out of them. 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1800x (4.0GHz) | AIO: Master Liquid Pro 240 | MOBO:  MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb | HSSD: Seagate 2TB | Case: InWin 303 Black | PSU: Evga 210 1000w

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I mostly play games on my PC. lol. I don't need an upgrade, but I really want one xD

I say you enjoy what you have and let the smoke clear bud.  

Just now, done12many2 said:

What ultimately doesn't matter is talking about gaming and gaming optimization for Skylake-X.  Probably the last CPU lines anyone should consider for that sole purpose.  

Oh absolutely.  Once you get to the point of "it won't be holding the GPU back at 4k60", that tells you that games will run just fine on your new theoretical $4000 computer if you try to play them.  That's all you really need to know in that regard.  Gaming is more "it will do that, as well" for CPU's like these.

However there's nothing that can be done about people buying hardware that doesn't fit their use-case at all.

I like a decent amount of cores because I have a handful of workloads that will use more than 6 threads, but mostly just hate closing stuff in the background, and my computer gets used for a mix of gaming (mainly gaming), dicking around on the internet, and Onshape (think solidworks for people that don't want to spend $5000).  I'd like to get into 4k gaming.  A 1600X and a Fury Nitro (until I see how RX Vega performs/costs) seem to meet my needs very nicely.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

7 minutes ago, SoloDolo said:

Dude why are you acting so ridiculous. You started swearing at him and acting all bent out of shape over something so dumb. You are arguing semantics.   

How am I the one arguing semantics here when I made the post about inter-core latency in the first place?

He's dragged an argument on for three pages about a simple point that was not only very clear, but also sourced, with graphs. I don't have the patience for it.

1 minute ago, Phate.exe said:

Oh absolutely.  Once you get to the point of "it won't be holding the GPU back at 4k60", that tells you that games will run just fine on your new theoretical $4000 computer if you try to play them.  That's all you really need to know in that regard.  Gaming is more "it will do that, as well" for CPU's like these.

However there's nothing that can be done about people buying hardware that doesn't fit their use-case at all.

I like a decent amount of cores because I have a handful of workloads that will use more than 6 threads, but mostly just hate closing stuff in the background, and my computer gets used for a mix of gaming (mainly gaming), dicking around on the internet, and Onshape (think solidworks for people that don't want to spend $5000).  I'd like to get into 4k gaming.  A 1600X and a Fury Nitro (until I see how RX Vega performs/costs) seem to meet my needs very nicely.

Its an excellent build. Fury performs better than the RX 580 and a 1600 is a great CPU. 

Just now, SoloDolo said:

I agree. 3440x1440 is great for gaming and multi tasking. Agreed, I have a 4k monitor at work and windows scaling is awful . Working from home is always so much better. I mean I have no doubt my 1080s could run most games fine at 4k but at 3440x1440 I get more out of them. 

Exactly.  I like to limit the frames and just watch my GPUs relax during smooth gaming.  

A pair of 1080s handles 4k fairly easily.  You just need a telescope to see some of the in game.  xD  

3 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Guilty as charged.  xD

I do a great deal with my PCs, but admittedly I can make do with less.  I'm just a nut about having fast stuff.  

1 minute ago, SoloDolo said:

Its an excellent build. Fury performs better than the RX 580 and a 1600 is a great CPU. 

I'm getting itchy waiting for my AM4 bracket from Cryorig.  Not their fault it took forever, autofill messed up my address on their form and I missed the email from support, lol.

I know I could have saved like $40 or something if I'd gotten a 1600 and overclocked it, but it wasn't like the price difference between a 1700 and an 1800x, and a 1600X has all the single-thread of the 1800X for half the price, and I basically won't need to screw with it aside from making my ram happy.

I turned a $160 RX 470 into a Fury Nitro thanks to the mining craze, and after shipping/ebay fees still had enough for a couple large cold brew iced coffees.

Looking at benchmarks, I should be able to keep most games comfortably inside the freesync range on my monitor at 4k/high-ultra settings, so I can't complain there.

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Guilty as charged.  xD

I do a great deal with my PCs, but admittedly I can make do with less.  I'm just a nut about having fast stuff.  

Oh for sure, totally see the appeal of that.  My new build is pretty much me dipping my toes into the high-end to see what it's like to have nice new things.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

1 hour ago, othertomperson said:

How am I the one arguing semantics here when I made the post about inter-core latency in the first place?

He's dragged an argument on for three pages about a simple point that was not only very clear, but also sourced, with graphs. I don't have the patience for it.

You were arguing different things essentially and you immediately revert to swearing which is a clear sign of losing your temper. But thats fine. It happens. Time to move on.