PC shuts down on its own after connecting xbox one controller

Createinator

Hi,

I am trying to install my xbox one controller connected via a USB cable to my Windows 10 64 bit PC. My PC detected an unrecognized device and now it shuts down whenever I connect the controller to it. I looked at the Event Viewer and it is full of "0x80070057: Package family Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay_8wekyb3d8bbwe runtime information is corrupted but we cannot repair it at this time."

I can use the PC without any problem otherwise, have been running stress test and even played LoL and Witcher without any problem. Please help me.

Thanks

There can be something with system's xbox app, try disabling overlay in it's settings because error contains something to do with it's overlay.

Xbox app is garbo, def try using your controller with the app disabled.

15 minutes ago, Gameborn said:

There can be something with system's xbox app, try disabling overlay in it's settings because error contains something to do with it's overlay.

My PC crashes whenever I open the app, I cannot change any settings; is there a way to repair or reinstall it?

2 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Xbox app is garbo, def try using your controller with the app disabled.

Now I keep getting the error that the USB port cannot provide enough power to the unrecognized USB device.

Have a spare cable to try?

Just now, Mooshi said:

Have a spare cable to try?

no, I do not have another cable, I am currently using the same cable to charge my phone and it is working fine.

Just now, Createinator said:

no, I do not have another cable, I am currently using the same cable to charge my phone and it is working fine.

you could look into getting one of the USB wireless adapters, i have one and it works perfectly :) 

1 minute ago, Createinator said:

A cable can work, but not necessarily be the best fit. Case in point, we have this Wacom tablet that occasionally gives a usb malfunction error with the cheap cable it's used with. It technically works, but error prone.

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

A cable can work, but not necessarily be the best fit. Case in point, we have this Wacom tablet that occasionally gives a usb malfunction error with the cheap cable it's used with. It technically works, but error prone.

I borrowed another usb cable and although the controller does not get recognized, my PC shuts down within a few seconds of connecting the controller.