Upgrade From Fx-6300

Howdy all, 

I have an FX-6300 six core processor, not overclocked, and it is time to upgrade. 

I am curious as to what I should upgrade to? 

Should I stick with team red and go Ryzen? If so, Ryzen 5 or 7?

Or should I turn to team blue and run an i5/i7?

If it helps at all, I do a fair bit of video editing and a bit of gaming. I use Premiere Pro and After Effects when I edit video, don't know if that makes any difference.

Budget is not a huge concern at the moment, just first trying to baseline, though I am not going to spend over $325 on the CPU. 

Regards,

Viper

P.S. FWIW, I have been looking at the i5 7600K processor as a prime choice. 

@Viper101

R5 1600 will be a nice upgrade for you.

Still a 6 core but a far superior architecture with >50% IPC (instructions per clock) performance increase over your current CPU.

EDIT: 7600k is a bad buy since the launch of the R5 1600. The 1600 is a 6 core 12 thread processor which handles games well now and has room to cope with future games using more cores/threads. Vs the 4c 4t 7600k that is already at 95-100% usage, not only does it cost more than the 1600 it doesn't include a cooler, will require a more expensive Z series motherboard, no room for future growth in multithreaded games of the future due to being saturated already and its socket (LGA1151) is basically end of life and will be discontinued next year as opposed to the AM4 socket being guaranteed for 4 years.

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

Still a 6 core but a far superior architecture with >50% IPC (instructions per clock) performance increase over your current CPU.

And it's around the price of a high end i5, AFAIK. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

8 minutes ago, Viper101 said:

Howdy all, 

I have an FX-6300 six core processor, not overclocked, and it is time to upgrade. 

I am curious as to what I should upgrade to? 

Should I stick with team red and go Ryzen? If so, Ryzen 5 or 7?

Or should I turn to team blue and run an i5/i7?

If it helps at all, I do a fair bit of video editing and a bit of gaming. I use Premiere Pro and After Effects when I edit video, don't know if that makes any difference.

Budget is not a huge concern at the moment, just first trying to baseline, though I am not going to spend over $325 on the CPU. 

Regards,

Viper

P.S. FWIW, I have been looking at the i5 7600K processor as a prime choice. 

Team blue is currently shitted on with Ryzen 5 1600 and Ryzen 7 1700. Go with AMD Ryzen 5 1600.

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

9 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Other than clock speeds and TDP are there any major differences between the R5 1600 and R5 1600X?

Just now, Viper101 said:

Other than clock speeds are there any major differences between the R5 1600 and R5 1600X?

No cooler on 1600X

XFR boosts 1 core further (note if you OC this is disabled anyway)

Yes clock speeds but trust me none of the X models are worth it you can apply a simple overclock yourself. My 1700 is above 1800X at stock, 4Ghz.

I 've never used none of the new cpus, but from what i ve seen from reviews and pricing right now the r5 1600 seems to be the choice because it has the most value of all....if you dont plan to change cpu in the next 5+ years you can go with the r7 1700  for a more "futureproof" solution....plus you get a free good cooler for free with either of them...

sorry for my english :)

10 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

No cooler on 1600X

XFR boosts 1 core further (note if you OC this is disabled anyway)

Yes clock speeds but trust me none of the X models are worth it you can apply a simple overclock yourself. My 1700 is above 1800X at stock, 4Ghz.

So no real differences if overclocking. Which I will be doing. 

@Viper101, grab an R5 1600 and a B350 motherboard.  Comes with a decent cooler, when overclocked it will be close enough in single-thread performance to an i5, but you'll have 12 processing threads.

I bought a 1600X myself because at least at first I can't be bothered to overclock the thing, plus I had already bought a Cryorig H7 so I didn't need the stock cooler.  Coming from a Phenom II 6-core, even though it's ancient I can tell that 4 threads is not enough for me.

2 hours ago, staman96 said:

I 've never used none of the new cpus, but from what i ve seen from reviews and pricing right now the r5 1600 seems to be the choice because it has the most value of all....if you dont plan to change cpu in the next 5+ years you can go with the r7 1700  for a more "futureproof" solution....plus you get a free good cooler for free with either of them...

AM4 is already pretty future-proof, since AMD has committed that their next few generations of CPU's will be on the same platform.  When revised Zen comes out, if I feel inclined to upgrade my main system, I will probably end up putting the 1600X into my server.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.