4K with True HDR

Hello everyone. I'm looking to get a new monitor. I want something between 24 and 28 inches diagonal screen space. I'd like true HDR/HDR 10 support, as well as 4K (3,840 x 2,160) at 60Hz. I don't need anything higher than 60Hz. The monitor will have two uses primarily. The first use, being a photography editing device. My laptop currently has a NVidia GT630m, and I don't think it supports true 10-bit end-to-end, or HDR, work flow. But I'll be getting a new desktop (or lapto) soon and I'll be sure to grab something that supports it. The second use of the monitor is going to be gaming. The response time is good enough, as I don't really feel too much difference on anything under 6MS response time. But I am very perceptible to input lag. If the display has input lag of more than two frames, I usually feel it and get pretty aggravated. I plan on using it with the PC, as well as with the new Xbox One X when that releases.

So far, the only monitor I've found that hits all the check boxes is the Dell Ultrasharp UP2718Q. It seems to me though that there isn't a lot of information about the monitor yet, and it's very pricey. I'm only starting to actually sell my photography, instead of doing it professionally. I'm basically looking for more information on the UP2718Q regarding it's input/processing delay, and I'm also open to suggestions that meet the criteria mentioned above.

Well, I suppose seeing as I don't really want to spend up to what the cost of the UP2718Q is, I'll say $2,000 since that what it supposedly costs.

I suppose if the difference between HDR and standard viewing isn't vast or that necessary, I'm okay without HDR if it means saving a lot of money and still having really good color accuracy/coverage for photography.

2 minutes ago, Sazexa said:

Well, I suppose seeing as I don't really want to spend up to what the cost of the UP2718Q is, I'll say $2,000 since that what it supposedly costs.

I suppose if the difference between HDR and standard viewing isn't vast or that necessary, I'm okay without HDR if it means saving a lot of money and still having really good color accuracy/coverage for photography.

Right now, I'm thinking that you ditch HDR and just get something with near to 100% aRGB like the LG 31MU97-B

Just now, SCGazelle said:

Right now, I'm thinking that you ditch HDR and just get something with near to 100% aRGB like the LG 31MU97-B

That's a bit too large vertically for me. I'm currently using a Dell U3415W, which is a 34" 21:9 screen. It's height is equal to a 27" screen though. I don't want anything bigger than 27" in 16:9, and basically want something with equal-to, or greater, color accuracy in 4K compared to this monitor. This is a great monitor, but the curve throws off some of my photos, as well as since it's so large the light/color dispersion doesn't always seem accurate.

7 minutes ago, Sazexa said:

That's a bit too large vertically for me. I'm currently using a Dell U3415W, which is a 34" 21:9 screen. It's height is equal to a 27" screen though. I don't want anything bigger than 27" in 16:9, and basically want something with equal-to, or greater, color accuracy in 4K compared to this monitor. This is a great monitor, but the curve throws off some of my photos, as well as since it's so large the light/color dispersion doesn't always seem accurate.

Can you find the Dell UP2715K anywhere? It's actually been kind of hard to find a near 100% aRGB monitor <30". 

3 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Can you find the Dell UP2715K anywhere? It's actually been kind of hard to find a near 100% aRGB monitor <30". 

The 2715K is definitely cool with it's 5K support, but, when gaming at lower resolutions (like 4K or even lower) I've heard countless times that scaling introduces input/processing delay, which I want to keep as minimal as possible. It's cool that the 2715K is so cheap now though. Amazon had it listed for I think $1,300.

6 minutes ago, Sazexa said:

The 2715K is definitely cool with it's 5K support, but, when gaming at lower resolutions (like 4K or even lower) I've heard countless times that scaling introduces input/processing delay, which I want to keep as minimal as possible. It's cool that the 2715K is so cheap now though. Amazon had it listed for I think $1,300.

don't scale to 4k. That doesn't make sense. Scale down to 1440p, you'll get the best scaling on that resolution

Just now, SCGazelle said:

don't scale to 4k. That doesn't make sense. Scale down to 1440p

The Xbox One X will run games at 4K. I don't want to scale down at all. I'd rather just have a 4K display. lol

30 minutes ago, Sazexa said:

The Xbox One X will run games at 4K. I don't want to scale down at all. I'd rather just have a 4K display. lol

The LG 27UD88-W doesn't have the best color range but has very good accuracy. If you want anything better, you'll have to step down to 1440p but that isn't an option in that case.

I would still strongly recommend getting a 31" for the following reasons: 27" just isn't the best size for 4k. 1440p has better monitors in terms of color range and the ppi that you gain from 4k isn't that beneficial. ~31" is where 4k should be. PPI is at its sweet spot and there are much better monitors at that size. The downsides are that it's not going to match your ultrawide and is going to be too big. The solution to the latter is to move it back and further from your eyes. If you can do that, then I would recommend you do that. If you can't then I would recommend you find a way to do so. The monitor you would get at that size is just much better than a 27" and that makes it worth it, at least to me. That's the direction that I think you should go, but if not, the LG 27UD88 will do fine.