Scythe Gentle Typoon vs Noctua NF-F12 or others...

Hey, I'm planning on doing some water cooling and I wouid like to know what are the "best" fans for radiators.

Scythe Gentle Typoon vs Noctua NF-F12 or others you guys can think of. 

I have a poll where you guys can vote. Please give me a reason why you think they are better then the other.

You must "Quote" to get my attention​.

~IBIubbleTea - 20/07/2014 

I like the E-Loops but you can't use them as pull fans only push. If you want them pull then I also like the Gentle Typoons.

Quote me to get a reply!

Okay, so I asked about this earlier, and I bought both to be sure.

NF-F12 is quieter, but performs worse that the Gentle Typhoon. But the NF-F12 produces more pressure, but less airflow. So you might want to consider that.

Just to add, the F12s are PWM and the GTs are not, and the Noctua's PWM controller plays nicer with motherboard control.

be quiet! Silent Wings, Silverstione Air Penetrators, and Sanyo San Aces are good fans too.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Best in fans is a relative term. The fan that is best for any situation depends on the need for low noise vs high air flow.

The NF-F12 PWM is quiet, moving a max of just under 25 cfm @ 46.8 dB. If one wants the quietest fan, then the Noctua is the choice. If one needs or wants better airflow, consider the Corsair SP120 High Performance fans, max 37 cfm @ 49.7 dB. Not as much air as the Gentle Typhoon but quieter, not as quiet as the Noctua, but more air.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

NF-F12's aren't as silent as they are talked up to be, Not bad, but not great.

Corsair's fans make an unacceptable amount of noise too, Even the quiet edition. There are alot of better options out there than either the NF-F12 or SP120

Perhaps you'd like to provide some data to support this. I suspect everyone is interested in finding quieter fans that produce acceptable air flows with sufficient pressure to penetrate radiators.

Data is almost irrelevant seeing as there is no real standardized way of testing fans. Plus a db rating doesn't take into account the tone of noise the motor makes and things like ticks or whines that will be more annoying to a person than a quality fan that makes a consistent and pleasant tone.

But from all the experience I have had with the fans, NF-F12's aren't silent above 1300rpm, They are better than alot of fans out there but don't compare at all to something from BeQuiet! or Noiseblocker. Then SP120's are just terribly noisy compared to other fans at any rpm, some SP models also inherit the ticking noise that AF fans get once undervolted. Then the frame design of the SP's isn't great for rads either.

For silence NoiseBlockers are king really, They don't quite compete with SP120's for cooling performance but they aren't far behind by any means. But a 1600rpm ELoop is more silent than a NF-F12 at 1350rpm.

Enermax TB Silence fans are also quite nice, I picked up a couple recently to try out on my test bed and have so far been impressed.

While I agree that there is no real measure of the form of noise made by fans, there is tons of decent data. This is especially important when it comes to airflow as that is the principal reason one buys fans. Have you seen http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/120mm-fan-roundup-4.html? This article does provide profiles of fan loudness vs air flow.

for radiator fans, i do prefer a dual ball bearing over the sleeve bearing of the

majority of the fans built. some build fans with a soft sleeve that run smooth,

but eventually are defective due to the position of the fan.

as to best, that'd be all subjective to end-users tastes. some fans are louder

than others and vise-versa. some perform in better conditions, configs and

different setups. i've used both and they have their place in different builds

and i have replaced one with another just from testing and need. you can

easily spend $300 in fans to get a quiet build to you and be terribly loud

to another person.

martinlabs has devoted a lot of research into fan noise, performance and

comparos to allow someone to make a better informed decision.

But really, The airflow differences provide almost minimal differences in temps, Any static pressure optimized fan you put on a rad will perform within a degree or two of another fan at the same RPM despite what CFM they are rated for.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6391/120mm-radiator-fan-roundup-part-2-fan-harder/6

If you check that graph out it's pretty much a degree from the best high rpm fan to the worst then lower down the chart we find the same thing but with low RPM fans, obviously there are some exceptions with the poorer designed fans, but for any premium fan noise output is a much bigger factor than CFM ratings

I'm a little too tired to analyze the data, but thanks for the link. I'll take a look after some sleep.

These sites may help you choose your fans:

140mm

120mm

It's a german site so bear with me.

There are many fans listed so you can just play the file and hear the, you may or may not like the noise of the fans and then you can do some further research of the fans you would like to hear in your case :D

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

Both fans are just great... and Corsair has the SP series did you consider that? More based on the looks than performance, but even in performance they are really good.

Data is almost irrelevant seeing as there is no real standardized way of testing fans. Plus a db rating doesn't take into account the tone of noise the motor makes and things like ticks or whines that will be more annoying to a person than a quality fan that makes a consistent and pleasant tone.

But from all the experience I have had with the fans, NF-F12's aren't silent above 1300rpm, They are better than alot of fans out there but don't compare at all to something from BeQuiet! or Noiseblocker. Then SP120's are just terribly noisy compared to other fans at any rpm, some SP models also inherit the ticking noise that AF fans get once undervolted. Then the frame design of the SP's isn't great for rads either.

For silence NoiseBlockers are king really, They don't quite compete with SP120's for cooling performance but they aren't far behind by any means. But a 1600rpm ELoop is more silent than a NF-F12 at 1350rpm.

Enermax TB Silence fans are also quite nice, I picked up a couple recently to try out on my test bed and have so far been impressed.

He said provide data never said you had to get it or where it had to come from so it you dont like how fan testing it currently done and data is collected why not create you own methodology and test the the fans against the noctua. Please make sure to demonstrate you setup and explain your reasoning behind it and your methodology.

About the things you talk about for noise these cant really rate ticks when you under volt thats best found in a review. As for the tone they could easily give you a graph of it but would more people know what it meant or what it would sound like via it?

Noctua fans to my knowledge are not marketed as silent but quiet, which they are.

I have said since corsair's fans launched and were popular that they were that great. You can get better for the same price or the same for cheaper. Your paying for tge name and the colored rings.

I swear im basically posted the same stuf in at least one or two threads before...

*ahem*

MLL recently tested GT AP15s vs NF-F12s vs E-loops vs Piranhas vs SP120s vs Vortex.

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/07/fan-testing-round-12/

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

The reason I brought up ticks and tone is because db really aren't a good indicator of how silent a fan is and I wanted to get that point across to brob and share my personal experience with those models of fans plus a great deal of other makes and models of fans.

dB are the best indicator of how silent a fan is. That is not to say that it is the best indicator of the least intrusive sound. dB is an objective measure that is repeatable but it simply measures loudness.

The intrusiveness of noise is related to dB levels but as you've pointed out, is not just that. It seems to me that intrusiveness is very dependent on environment and to some degree personal preference. I suppose one way of conveying this would be a frequency sound graph over the range of fan speed.

Funny you should mention that because I actually am in the process doing a great deal of testing on alot of various things that can affect performance in a system and have been working on a great number of member reviews. One thing I have been looking into is methods to test a fans effectiveness and real world noise. If you have any ideas on how to accurately record real world indicators of how silent a fan really is please share.

The reason I brought up ticks and tone is because db really aren't a good indicator of how silent a fan is and I wanted to get that point across to brob and share my personal experience with those models of fans plus a great deal of other makes and models of fans.

Also Noctua NF-F12's aren't marketed as silent, but are hyped up to be near perfectly silent by alot of people who live and breathe Linus' every word and then over hype a product because of it. When in reality they aren't that great of a fan in terms of silence. This is a point I try to make in most threads I go on that are related to silent fans as the people that rave about NF-F12's have obviously either never actually used them or have never used any of the fans out there that are better.

another "variable" in the mix is different radiators, case mounting (mesh/no mesh),

and harmonics (not harmonicas) all can contribute to sound pressure and sound

output. so single testing a fan/fans will not draw final conclusions. the amount of

different combinations of hardware will make this a very hard task to make each

individual user hear the same thing as the testing instrument.

testing can only give a "general" idea of what to expect, but it finally comes down to

the end-users tastes and attributes to how the final sound quality/level is tolerable

or not.

again, what may be quite for one, will be noisy for another or some other

deformation,hardware choice or config will have different quality that some one else

deems terrible. so that is why it is subjective - the human element.

There is a trade off on sound and performance. Deltas or San Aces will mop the floor with any of these. Those Scythe Kaze 38mm fat fans are tough little guys as well. The deltas will also run for years, 24/7 without a problem. There is a reason so many servers have them

Scythe GT's are the least expensive quiet fan that does not suck. Enermax fans are quiet, but they push no air and die young. I just bought my first Noctuas, but they push a decent amount of air. they also cost 50% more than Scythe Gentle Typhoons. For performance, get Deltas. For silence, I would go Scythe GT' (on my rad right now), Noctuas or Noiseblockers.