Laptop Upgrades

I have a Toshiba Satellite S855-S5377. I know that I can and what I'm going to do on the RAM side of things but the one problem is the processor. I want to upgrade my processor, but I don't know what to. I know how to install it just which one do I chose right now it has an i5-Quad Core in it. If you guys need to know anything else to help answer my question, just ask and I'll get back as soon as I can.

You can upgrade the RAM, hard drive and WiFi card easily. Your CPU may be soldiered on or on a socket. Open up CPU-Z, and then under the "Package" tab, if it says "PGA", then it is soldiered on, if it says "LGA" then it is a socket and is replaceable. However, the process is rather difficult, normally you have to take apart the whole laptop, more or less.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

truthfully laptop CPu's arent realyl worth the upgrade if thats what ur thinking. but ram storage and possibly wifi/bluetooth can be fairly easy to upgrade. plus u can replace your cd drive with a hard drive if u want

You can upgrade the RAM, hard drive and WiFi card easily. Your CPU may be soldiered on or on a socket. Open up CPU-Z, and then under the "Package" tab, if it says "PGA", then it is soldiered on, if it says "LGA" then it is a socket and is replaceable. However, the process is rather difficult, normally you have to take apart the whole laptop, more or less.

Ya I know the complications, but I do think its LGA. But what processor would I need to buy. In other words what is the max that I can install?

Ya I know the complications, but I do think its LGA. But what processor would I need to buy. In other words what is the max that I can install?

depends what the generation is if you really want to replace the cpu you can go to an i7

Your processor is not soldered but that model of laptop only came with 1 processor (the one you have in it now) so even if you could put a new one in the BIOS wont support it as OEM bioses lock them.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

depends what the generation is if you really want to replace the cpu you can go to an i7

Plan on an i7 but could you happen to tell me a price and model #.

Your processor is not soldered but that model of laptop only came with 1 processor (the one you have in it now) so even if you could put a new one in the BIOS wont support it as OEM bioses lock them.

Is there a way to disable that? When I put in another hard drive I had to disable something in the BIOS that wouldn't let that happen.

Can you post a screenshot your CPU-Z. So I'll know the specific socket. Then I go find out the best CPU for you.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

You should not change the CPU of a laptop. Is it extremely difficult to access and you could easily break some of the components in the process. The biggest issue is actually power. Most laptops have underclocked low voltage CPUs. If you stick in a normal desktop i7 which requires ~100W you might fry your laptop.

You should not change the CPU of a laptop. Is it extremely difficult to access and you could easily break some of the components in the process. The biggest issue is actually power. Most laptops have underclocked low voltage CPUs. If you stick in a normal desktop i7 which requires ~100W you might fry your laptop.

No one is talking about putting a desktop processor in a laptop. The sockets are completely different not to mention that it will not physically fit in the laptop... 

On topic:

You can actually upgrade a laptop CPU if it is not soldered to the motherboard, but an i7 mobile chip won't really bring a noticeable performance increase over your current i5. Laptop processors are also relatively difficult to find and more expensive then the desktop equivalent, which doesn't make them a good investment. Keep in mind that some i7 processors, like the ones used in the Alienware laptops (Extreme editions for mobile) have higher voltage requirement and heat output and are not designed to be run in an average notebook/laptop with mediocre cooling.

It is usually cheaper and easier just to buy a new laptop and may be throw the old SSD and RAM (if it is higher capacity or clock speed) in the new one. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here