system trouble

righteousbae

Been trying to do some gaming on a pre-built I use for business at home for gaming, however I've been getting some weird errors where my display would display an error saying my screen isnt connected, along with the audio turning to garbage or getting stuck on a loop, or even just the bsod. 

It's running an AMD FX 8300, 16 gigs of memory, an unspecified Radeon R7 200 series gpu with an unspecified amount of vram (dxdiag says 6 gb, but when in the options menus for games it only displays about 3 or 4 gb). 

I'm not exactly certain as to what it could be, I narrowed it down to either the PSU, or the gpu, but I don't know for sure. 

If anyone has any knowledge that could help out in some way, I'd be most appreciative. 

You can try to uninstall GPU drivers using DDU and then reinstall them, last time I had sound getting stuck and BSODing it was a drivers issue.

If that doesn't fix it I would try clean installing windows.

This doesn't sounds like a PSU problem.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

other than the amount of VRAM not correctly displaying, these bugs sounds like an unstabble overclock... try the DDU on your GPU first, but if it doesnt fix it, try doing a optimized default on your bios before reinstalling windows

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

1 minute ago, Kevo05s said:

other than the amount of VRAM not correctly displaying, these bugs sounds like an unstabble overclock... try the DDU on your GPU first, but if it doesnt fix it, try doing a optimized default on your bios before reinstalling windows

The mb dosen't support overclocking, so the cpu is running at stock speeds. going to try running DDU and reinstall the drivers. What's weird though is this only happens in certain games, and not even demanding games; like I can run Warhammer total war or xcom 2 on medium to high settings all day, but as soon as I try to launch something like starcraft 2 or dota it'll just crash. 

Just now, righteousbae said:

The mb dosen't support overclocking, so the cpu is running at stock speeds. going to try running DDU and reinstall the drivers. What's weird though is this only happens in certain games, and not even demanding games; like I can run Warhammer total war or xcom 2 on medium to high settings all day, but as soon as I try to launch something like starcraft 2 or dota it'll just crash. 

This really sounds like a driver issue, and it could also mean that the drivers doesnt handle the clocks of the video card very well... so yes, a DDU and maybe a windows reinstallations might be required but it should really fix it... or else the gpu is dying...

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

Just now, Kevo05s said:

This really sounds like a driver issue, and it could also mean that the drivers doesnt handle the clocks of the video card very well... so yes, a DDU and maybe a windows reinstallations might be required but it should really fix it... or else the gpu is dying...

well in the event the video card is just shambling and about to die, I planned on swapping it out for a 1050 ti soon anyway. but I held off on it in the event it was something else in the system

11 minutes ago, righteousbae said:

well in the event the video card is just shambling and about to die, I planned on swapping it out for a 1050 ti soon anyway. but I held off on it in the event it was something else in the system

since at this point you have nothing to lose, try the drivers, but depending on which card you have in  your system, a 1050ti might be an upgrade, a side-step or (this one is very unlikely, but it could be an R9 290) a downgrade, but a small one

6 minutes ago, Kevo05s said:

since at this point you have nothing to lose, try the drivers, but depending on which card you have in  your system, a 1050ti might be an upgrade, a side-step or (this one is very unlikely, but it could be an R9 290) a downgrade, but a small one

id put money down that it'd be an upgrade, atleast from my experience with it thus far. some stuff like total war titles run fine around 30 fps, but if i wanted to load up crisis 3 or even battlefield 4, and it'll drop to 15 fps or less. 

• 1 month later...

Update

turns out the gpu is an r9 270 with 2 gb of memory and one janky-ass cooler. Radeon's auto driver software couldn't identify exactly what it was so I had to crack open the case to see what it was. Drivers might've been causing crashes but from what I hear the cpu might also be to blame (stock heatsink and how hard the FX thermal throttles).