Need to shrink my setup affordably

Tomasu

I have to decrease the space all of my gear takes up, right now it takes up a small but tall ikea shelving unit in one corner of a bedroom, but I'd like to make it take up no more than a quarter or half server rack of space. I have three servers, one older quadcore xeon in a Antec 900 case, a NAS w/ i3 & mitx intel S1200KP in a lian-li pcQ25b case, and an older dual 16core Opteron server in a Define XL case. I may decommission the xeon server, possibly sell for funds for parts, or use the cpu for the NAS. The DefineXL needs to shrink though, I'd like to find a relatively inexpensive rack-mount case that I can make super quiet (ie: no delta fans ;D). My current setup is currently VERY quiet for servers. I'd like to keep it as quiet as possible. A little louder than it is now is OK, but preferably I'd like it to be as quiet.

TL;DR: need to shrink setup. three servers, switch, firewall, etc on tall ikea shelf, to 1/2 or 1/4 rack setup.

IMG_20170520_112055.jpg

If you want quiet then 3U/4U rack or tower is what you'll want, tower servers are in general quieter. There are tons of complete used server on ebay, have on look on there for supermicro.

You could easily replace everything with a single server and they actually aren't that expensive. It's possible to swap out the fans as well to less loud ones.

My budget is incredibly limited. Buying new-used servers is out of the question for the time being (need to pay to finish renovating that room! and a baby coming!)

My current Opteron Server has dual socket 16 core cpus, 120GB ram, and several TB of storage backed by a NVME cache drive, and two massive G34 Noctua heatsink towers. Currently it's running 15 virtual machines without a single hiccup, and I'll probably add more. It's not something I could cheaply replace. I've been looking to find a 4u server case for "cheap" that would be able to house that hardware and stay as quiet as possible. I doubt I'd be able to match the sound levels of the current setup, but I'd like to come close. Later on I can wrap the server rack in a ventilated "sound proofed" cabinet to reduce sound further.

Just now, Tomasu said:

My budget is incredibly limited. Buying new-used servers is out of the question for the time being (need to pay to finish renovating that room! and a baby coming!)

My current Opteron Server has dual socket 16 core cpus, 120GB ram, and several TB of storage backed by a NVME cache drive, and two massive G34 Noctua heatsink towers. Currently it's running 15 virtual machines without a single hiccup, and I'll probably add more. It's not something I could cheaply replace. I've been looking to find a 4u server case for "cheap" that would be able to house that hardware and stay as quiet as possible. I doubt I'd be able to match the sound levels of the current setup, but I'd like to come close. Later on I can wrap the server rack in a ventilated "sound proofed" cabinet to reduce sound further.

Right somehow I missed that Opteron server, yea no need to replace that at all.

Rosewill have the cheapest rackmount servers I know of, new or used. The used market is actually very highly priced, I was looking for 2U rack chassis recently and they were almost the same price as a full used server.

Have a look at these and see what you think.

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Rackmount-Computer-Pre-Installed-RSV-L4500/dp/B0091IZ1ZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497274518&sr=8-1&keywords=ROSEWILL+RSV-L4500

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Rackmount-Computer-Pre-Installed-RSV-L4412/dp/B00N9CXGSO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497274498&sr=8-1&keywords=ROSEWILL+RSV-L4412

6 minutes ago, Tomasu said:

Later on I can wrap the server rack in a ventilated "sound proofed" cabinet to reduce sound further.

I did something like this to my IBM x3500 M4, built a wooden box that had a lift off top 3/4 and it makes it way quieter. Have the air inlet and outlet facing the floor and filter the inlet, you need really good fans though.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I did something like this to my IBM x3500 M4, built a wooden box that had a lift off top 3/4 and it makes it way quieter. Have the air inlet and outlet facing the floor and filter the inlet, you need really good fans though.

I'm thinking I'd get some big quiet fans on the cabinet itself to keep air moving through it, and somehow direct air through the machines inside. Tis for the future though.

Maybe wait until threadripper from AMD shows up and do the math to see...

Opterons are kinda old and I suspect those 16 cores behave more or less like 6-10 regular Zen cores .. so if you manage to get a 14-16 core threadripper going on, maybe you can consolidate the virtual machines and the NAS into a single server and still have some performance left.

It would suck that you'd throw away 120 gigs of registered ddr3 (well you can sell it on ebay but won't get good prices for it) but you'd probably also get the power consumption down to maybe half of what your opteron used to "eat" ... so you'd save some money on power bill each month.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Maybe wait until threadripper from AMD shows up and do the math to see...

Opterons are kinda old and I suspect those 16 cores behave more or less like 6-10 regular Zen cores .. so if you manage to get a 14-16 core threadripper going on, maybe you can consolidate the virtual machines and the NAS into a single server and still have some performance left.

It would suck that you'd throw away 120 gigs of registered ddr3 (well you can sell it on ebay but won't get good prices for it) but you'd probably also get the power consumption down to maybe half of what your opteron used to "eat" ... so you'd save some money on power bill each month.

I am incredibly interested in threadripper or Epyc. But I know a system that even matches the capabilities of the current box would be a couple thousand CAD at least. I just can't justify that kind of purchase in the near future. 

All I really want to do is take what I have and compress it.

Just now, Tomasu said:

I am incredibly interested in threadripper or Epyc. But I know a system that even matches the capabilities of the current box would be a couple thousand CAD at least. I just can't justify that kind of purchase in the near future. 

All I really want to do is take what I have and compress it.

Did you check out those 4U rack chassis I linked? That the kind of thing you're after?

Just now, leadeater said:

Did you check out those 4U rack chassis I linked? That the kind of thing you're after?

Yeah, they look like a decent option. I've also been looking at Norco cases. 

One thing I'm curious about is being able to re-use my Noctua NH-U12do-a3 heatsinks, but they are a little tall, and they could be a tight fit if they fit at all.

Do the math man.

If you're paying for electricity, the nas alone probably uses 100-150 watts each hour, so maybe 100 kWh a month ...

The opteron server probably uses twice the amount of energy a new threadripper system would use.

By consolidating the two systems in one, you'd save a lot of power each month.. do the math how much it costs you in one year in electricity and think of the money for new system  as an investment you'd recuperate over the course of a couple of years, an advance

Also consider that you'd probably be able to sell the old hardware, though at a low price i admit. Still, you will spend a big amount of money initially but as you sell the old hardware you'd get some money back and then if you're paying the power bill you'll also save some money there.

Not to mention that since the two systems would be consolidated into one, the average power consumption for the system would be higher, so the power supply will be closer to its peak efficiency (let's say 3-500w  for a 650-850 power supply) and will produce less heat, and having just one system with one cpu instead of two cpus with high tdp would produce less heat, so you'd save some money potentially on cooling as well ...

You should really look into everything if you're doing all the paying in the house, that's all i'm pointing out.

Just now, Tomasu said:

Yeah, they look like a decent option. I've also been looking at Norco cases. 

One thing I'm curious about is being able to re-use my Noctua NH-U12do-a3 heatsinks, but they are a little tall, and they could be a tight fit if they fit at all.

Norco cases are much more expensive though, some complaints about them not fitting in standard racks as well but overall good option at the right price. 

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Do the math man.

If you're paying for electricity, the nas alone probably uses 100-150 watts each hour, so maybe 100 kWh a month ...

The opteron server probably uses twice the amount of energy a new threadripper system would use.

By consolidating the two systems in one, you'd save a lot of power each month.. do the math how much it costs you in one year in electricity and think of the investment as a one year advance, an investment.

Also consider that you'd probably be able to sell the old hardware, though at a low price i admit. Still, you will spend a big amount of money initially but as you sell the old hardware you'd get some money back and then if you're paying the power bill you'll also save some money there.

Not to mention that since the two systems would be consolidated into one, the average power consumption for the system would be higher, so the power supply will be closer to its peak efficiency (let's say 3-500w  for a 650-850 power supply) and will produce less heat, and having just one system with one cpu instead of two cpus with high tdp would produce less heat, so you'd save some money potentially on cooling as well ...

You should really look into everything if you're doing all the paying in the house, that's all i'm pointing out.

I'll bet the NAS uses considerably less power than that. 4Wx5 for the HDDs, now the Opteron server probably uses a consistent 150W when idle. Given its a dual socket box with a crap load of ram, it's idle is going to be pretty high.

I'm already going to drop one of my servers, and potentially steal the cpu from the xeon for the mini nas.

My power cost is relatively low, something like 6-7c/kWh.

I appreciate the tips. Power use is already something I've considered, and it isn't a main concern right now.

Eventually I will end up replacing this server, but it has plenty of usable life in it, especially considering I have to pay for a baby coming, and spend thousands more on some home renovations.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Norco cases are much more expensive though, some complaints about them not fitting in standard racks as well but overall good option at the right price. 

Yeah, it depends on the case. I'll be keeping my eye on cases in the near future. Especially those newegg ones.

3 minutes ago, Tomasu said:

Should fit just fine in a 4U chassis, they are 28.194cm (ish) high and that heat sink is 15.8cm.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Should fit just fine in a 4U chassis, they are 28.194cm (ish) high and that heat sink is 15.8cm.

Hm, maybe I'm mixing up the dimensions, but I thought 4u is 7" or 17.8cm, and the width is ~26-28cm.

1 minute ago, Tomasu said:

Hm, maybe I'm mixing up the dimensions, but I thought 4u is 7" or 17.8cm, and the width is ~26-28cm.

That moment when you're reading shipping dimensions and not product dimensions lol. Yes 4U is 7".

It seems a bit close to me. given the motherboard is raised up a bit, plus the height of the socket and cpu, the clearance over the heatsink might be very slim, or the heatsinks might be a bit too tall... They weren't cheap heatsinks either, which is why I want to try and re-use them :o