Dampening noise coming into my room

DarkBlade2117

Ok so my room was extened before we bought the house and the wall does jack shit for blocking noise. This is a minor issue as the wall is right next to the living room. Cheapish solution to dampening noise coming from it. Doesn't have to be perfect, I don't mind if I have to cover my wall in some shit or whatever just looking for possible ideas

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1. Cheap option.  Egg cartons. Normally, that's used to reduce echo in a room.  Paint them white so that they don't look too god awful.

2.  Styrofoam packing from boxes.  It'll make your wall look textured and slightly reminiscent of Mister Linus' office (not trying to be droll... I like the textured wall effect).

3.  Go to a building supply or recycler.  Here in Toronto, we have Habitat For Humanity.  Pick up some batting on the cheap, and staple it to the wall.  Fiberglass would be risky (with the glass fibers going airborne).  How about the cladding they use on concrete?  Use a caulking gun to secure it to the wall.

4. Ok, this might be odd. How about bubble-wrap?  It's dead-air spaces might have sound-insulating characteristics.

I regret my man-splaining to you, DarkBlade2117. These are my off-the-cuff ideas.  I know that there's an episode of Holmes On Homes that dealt with it.  I'm sure the shiny happy people at Home Depot will be happy to sell you some kind of noise-deadening sheets.  There's all kinds of adhesives available to put this stuff up.  Good luck, eh.

Unless you're ready to remodel, there aren't many options. I've written in this section before on legitimate methods that can be used. Basically these either involve extra layers of sheetrock with sound absorption in between and/or putting or replacing sound absorbing insulation inside the wall between the studs. Mechanical decoupling is also advisable and there are various methods for this as well.

If you want to completely ghetto rig things, you can probably get away with stapling mass-loaded vinyl to the adjoining wall. Not pretty and you'll probably need to fill in the holes later. There are also sound-deadening blackout curtains like they have in hotels. Hanging these all along the wall would probably be almost as good, but likely expensive.

Whatever you do, you need to cover the whole wall. Imagine that you only put treatment in a few places; take away the wall, and you just have a few sections of absorption hanging in the air. The sound would just go around them. Ideally, you should treat as many boundaries as possible, for the same reason.

1 hour ago, PrometheanCat2 said:

1. Cheap option.  Egg cartons. Normally, that's used to reduce echo in a room.  Paint them white so that they don't look too god awful.

2.  Styrofoam packing from boxes.  It'll make your wall look textured and slightly reminiscent of Mister Linus' office (not trying to be droll... I like the textured wall effect).

3.  Go to a building supply or recycler.  Here in Toronto, we have Habitat For Humanity.  Pick up some batting on the cheap, and staple it to the wall.  Fiberglass would be risky (with the glass fibers going airborne).  How about the cladding they use on concrete?  Use a caulking gun to secure it to the wall.

4. Ok, this might be odd. How about bubble-wrap?  It's dead-air spaces might have sound-insulating characteristics.

I regret my man-splaining to you, DarkBlade2117. These are my off-the-cuff ideas.  I know that there's an episode of Holmes On Homes that dealt with it.  I'm sure the shiny happy people at Home Depot will be happy to sell you some kind of noise-deadening sheets.  There's all kinds of adhesives available to put this stuff up.  Good luck, eh.

Sorry, but these are all garbage ideas. They will absorb only high frequencies, if that, which the existing wall does already.

57 minutes ago, SSL said:

If you want to completely ghetto rig things, you can probably get away with stapling mass-loaded vinyl to the adjoining wall. Not pretty and you'll probably need to fill in the holes later. There are also sound-deadening blackout curtains like they have in hotels. Hanging these all along the wall would probably be almost as good, but likely expensive.

For this mass loaded vinyl stuff, looked it up and doesn't seem to bad though there are tons of it ranging from various specifications. Some cheaper ect. What would you suggest? It's roughly a 18ftx7.5ft area. Plus for hanging it up, would double sided sheets of tape or maybe even some good adhesive be enough?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

2 hours ago, SSL said:

Unless you're ready to remodel, there aren't many options. I've written in this section before on legitimate methods that can be used. Basically these either involve extra layers of sheetrock with sound absorption in between and/or putting or replacing sound absorbing insulation inside the wall between the studs. Mechanical decoupling is also advisable and there are various methods for this as well.

Whatever you do, you need to cover the whole wall. Imagine that you only put treatment in a few places; take away the wall, and you just have a few sections of absorption hanging in the air. The sound would just go around them. Ideally, you should treat as many boundaries as possible, for the same reason.

Sorry, but these are all garbage ideas. They will absorb only high frequencies, if that, which the existing wall does already.

Fair enough. You're right SSL. My suggested materials simply can't absorb the frequencies. I live in a 1975-80 built condominium here in Don Mills. Concrete & brick. Short of someone dribbling a medicine ball above us, it's quiet (except for hammers drills. Jeeze Loise! That bloody sound goes up & down the columns). My sound polltion source is the freeway 1/2 km away from our windows. The infamous 401.

I learned some ideas from you, SSL. Thanks, eh.

I honestly hope this guy figures out a solution to his woe.

55 minutes ago, PrometheanCat2 said:

Fair enough. You're right SSL. My suggested materials simply can't absorb the frequencies. I live in a 1975-80 built condominium here in Don Mills. Concrete & brick. Short of someone dribbling a medicine ball above us, it's quiet (except for hammers drills. Jeeze Loise! That bloody sound goes up & down the columns). My sound polltion source is the freeway 1/2 km away from our windows. The infamous 401.

I learned some ideas from you, SSL. Thanks, eh.

I honestly hope this guy figures out a solution to his woe.

I hope I do to since my father in law doesn't know what a fucking inside voice is

3 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

For this mass loaded vinyl stuff, looked it up and doesn't seem to bad though there are tons of it ranging from various specifications. Some cheaper ect. What would you suggest? It's roughly a 18ftx7.5ft area. Plus for hanging it up, would double sided sheets of tape or maybe even some good adhesive be enough?

Not sure on the adhesive. You would probably need to do additional research or ask a professional that much. As for which type to get, there should be specifications that indicate the performance of the material. For example: https://www.soundaway.com/mass-loaded-vinyl-noise-barrier-s/31.htm