Network Config for University

MartiniDelini
Go to solution Solved by dmaes,
On 11/6/2017 at 10:34 PM, MartiniDelini said:

Yeah I initially had the same idea with a cable directly between the two. I think I also might have one of those usb wifi receivers someware in a drawer. But I have bad experience with it in the past.

I've heard somewhere that if you connect 2 pcs with a direct cable the rj45's connections should be mirrored and not standard. I have a lan hub to solve this (rumored) issue, but is this really neccesary?

I think you are talking about crossover cables, those were needed for old cables/connections. If you have a gigabit port/cable, you can just use a normal cable

Sup

So next year I will go to university and stay in a new apartment room every year. I own a very capable desktop gaming pc and I will buy a cheap gaming laptop for on the go and class usage. 

The thing is that I want to be able to switch to my more powerful desktop when I am in my room to work on projects etc. The room I'll stay in won't have a good internet connection though... It only comes with a slow-ish WiFi connection with no ethernet support. My PC doesn't have a wireless card. I want a network setup which allows fast communication between my desktop and laptop and give my desktop internet connection. 

Any recommendations for a simple, reliable and fast network that will suit my needs?

Are you talking about using your laptop as a tether to give your Desktop PC internet connection?

Are you wanting to use your laptop's wireless connection for your desktop?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

share laptop's internet:

connect laptop to desktop with cable.

On laptop: bridge wifi to ethernet

direct desktop - wifi connection:

buy USB or PCIe wifi card

connect laptop to desktop with cable for fast connection between those (you will have to manually set ip's, Linus does this in one of his video's)

I suppose you run windows on both, so I can't give you exact instructions.

If you run Linux on at least one, It would be easier, and I can give you step by step instructions

Be safe, don't drink and sudo

Laptop: ASUS K541UA (i5-6198DU, 8GB RAM, 250GB 850 EVO) OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

Desktop: i7-7700, ASUS Strix H270F, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD from laptop, some HDD's, iGPU, some NIC's, OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

The easiest method would be to get a wifi card for your computer. 

Bridging can be problematic, I tried to do that for a while and it's annoying to deal with. 

Something that's more expensive but does what you're looking to do is get an access point (make sure it's capable of doing this before buying) that you can put into wireless bridge mode, Many access points will have a few ports out allowing you to plug in your computer and your laptop to make networking them fairly easy. If you have the budget for it, get a Ubiquiti AC access point and a decent gigabit switch. This is a little more setup but it's stable and allows for a full wired connection between your laptop and desktop.

I would go with a cheap-ish router to act as an AP for the dorm's wifi, and then you'll also have your gigabit connection from laptop to PC etc. Unless the dorm's have some way of blocking an AP?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

I would go with a cheap-ish router to act as an AP for the dorm's wifi, and then you'll also have your gigabit connection from laptop to PC etc. Unless the dorm's have some way of blocking an AP?

contact your university IT team and see if they can setup something that will allow you to use your own router for your LAN
i have heard of other universities doing that so i dont see why your university would be any different

7 hours ago, 101dmrs said:

share laptop's internet:

connect laptop to desktop with cable.

On laptop: bridge wifi to ethernet

direct desktop - wifi connection:

buy USB or PCIe wifi card

connect laptop to desktop with cable for fast connection between those (you will have to manually set ip's, Linus does this in one of his video's)

I suppose you run windows on both, so I can't give you exact instructions.

If you run Linux on at least one, It would be easier, and I can give you step by step instructions

Yeah I initially had the same idea with a cable directly between the two. I think I also might have one of those usb wifi receivers someware in a drawer. But I have bad experience with it in the past.

I've heard somewhere that if you connect 2 pcs with a direct cable the rj45's connections should be mirrored and not standard. I have a lan hub to solve this (rumored) issue, but is this really neccesary?

5 hours ago, MartiniDelini said:

i have connected 2 computers before with an ethernet cable without issue, unless something has changed in the last 6 years i dont see why it would be now

On 11/6/2017 at 10:34 PM, MartiniDelini said:

I think you are talking about crossover cables, those were needed for old cables/connections. If you have a gigabit port/cable, you can just use a normal cable

Be safe, don't drink and sudo

Laptop: ASUS K541UA (i5-6198DU, 8GB RAM, 250GB 850 EVO) OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

Desktop: i7-7700, ASUS Strix H270F, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD from laptop, some HDD's, iGPU, some NIC's, OS: Debian Buster (KDE)