Wii --> Wii U Questions

iamdarkbowser

I am looking on buying this. Can I use the stuff from my Wii on that Wii U for the missing stuff? Also, if someone sees a problem with the listing or knows about a better one, please tell me, thanks.

Just now, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

I think the only thing you could re-use is the sensor bar but you would still need everything else. 

Including the controllers? I heard that they could be used on the Wii U. 

You can't really use anything from the original Wii apart from the controllers, sensor bars and games.

You are still going to need the Wii U gamepad as not all games do not support a WiiMote

Hello

Just now, iamdarkbowser said:

Including the controllers? I heard that they could be used on the Wii U. 

I think you need it do the initial setup but I am not 100% sure but yeah most games will work with wii controllers 

You need a Gamepad for most Nintendo stuff, including accessing the settings. That's why I don't understand why then never sold replacement Gamepads. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

You can't use the Wii sensor bar with a Wii U the connector looks the same but is mirrored with the notch on the opposite side.

Just now, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

I think you need it do the initial setup but I am not 100% sure but yeah most games will work with wii controllers 

All I really want to do is play Mario Kart 8, which I assume uses the same controls as the Wii's Mario Kart, and play Wii games. I see that it can use HDMI 1.4 so that will work fine. Does it use it's own special power input or can I just use a power cable like the one that goes into a computer's PSU?

You'll be ok with the gamepad that comes with the wii u and the stuff from your wii. You can control the main menu using the wiimote, although it is a pain in the ass.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Just now, Scruffy90 said:

You'll be ok with the gamepad that comes with the wii u and the stuff from your wii. You can control the main menu using the wiimote, although it is a pain in the ass.

This listing does not come with the gamepad, it is only the console itself. Is starting a game up on the Wii U a huge pain with the Wii controller, if not, then I will just deal with it for the time being. 

1 minute ago, iamdarkbowser said:

This listing does not come with the gamepad, it is only the console itself. Is starting a game up on the Wii U a huge pain with the Wii controller, if not, then I will just deal with it for the time being. 

Technically, you can navigate everything but the wii u settings with the wiimote (settings only appear on the gamepad). A lot of games don't support the wiimote either.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I managed to find all that I should need for a total of about $120 USD, including MK8. 

It says in the description that it doesn't include a gamepad. Those things aren't cheap to replace. I'd pass.

1 minute ago, Seamonster420 said:

It says in the description that it doesn't include a gamepad. Those things aren't cheap to replace. I'd pass.

All I'm going to do for the time being is play MK8 by myself or with other people with me. I shouldn't need to access the settings.

2 hours ago, iamdarkbowser said:

All I'm going to do for the time being is play MK8 by myself or with other people with me. I shouldn't need to access the settings.

Will it even work without the tablet?

Of the games I have on Wii U:

~75% can be played to some degree without the GamePad

~50% can be played to some degree without the GamePad or a Pro Controller

But even amongst those games that can be played largely without the GamePad there are still some sections of those games that will demand it. For example Super Mario Maker you can play the levels just fine with a WiiMote but you can't make levels without the GamePad. Rayman Legends you can play most of the game without it but some levels are built around touch control (those levels were changed for other versions, they require the GamePad on Wii U to beat)

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing