Thermal Paste Laptop CPU/GPU

Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding the application of thermal paste on a laptop CPU/GPU.

I have attached images of the situation as it currently is.

I've cleaned the top of the processors, but there's still the orange cover, with quite a bit of thermal paste left.

Do i have to clean out all the thermal gunk?

Do i have to cover more than just the metallic top of the heatsink (as in, what is currently covered in thermal gunk)?

Do i clean the orange covers and put them back on?

Also, i've added an image of my heatsink as it currently is, and there seem to be a few oxidation marks on it (i think).

Is this of any significance when it comes to cooling, or is it okay to just wipe it down with a bit of white gasoline? (No shops in the near vicinity of where i live sell isopropyl alcohol, and if i order it online, i'd have to wait 2 days minimum.)

*EDIT: Okay, so the orange cover seems to be glued to the processors, to the point where trying to pull them off could kill the processors.

How bad would it be if i just seated the cooler back with some new arctic silver 5 on the die?

I cleaned the dies to a mirror finish, and wiped a bit more away around the corners and edges of them. :\

image2.JPG

image4.JPG

image1 (1).JPG

clean the thermal gunk off the processor for a start

then the GPU

put a line for the CPU

and a dot for the GPU

idk

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

clean the thermal gunk off the processor for a start

then the GPU

put a line for the CPU

and a dot for the GPU

So, if i understand it correctly, i'm to clean the ENTIRE processor of the old shite?

Also, do i surround the metallic top of the processors with thermal paste as well, or do i cover just the metallic cover with it?

EDIT: I should have added that the tops are actually mirror finished.

6 minutes ago, Volvith said:

So, if i understand it correctly, i'm to clean the ENTIRE processor of the old shite?

Also, do i surround the metallic top of the processors with thermal paste as well, or do i cover just the metallic cover with it?

yes. all of it. 

and then paste the top, reflective die (the little top thing) with a line. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

yes. all of it. 

and then paste the top, reflective die (the little top thing) with a line. 

Hm, yeah, so the covers seem to be glued to the fucking processors, and it appears to be really stuck.

I'm rather hesitant to apply any kind of force on it, as the processors are glued to the board.

Do absolutely have to clean out the stuff underneath the covers, because i fear that at this point, removing them could do more harm than good. :\