Network switch or a 8-port router?

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

If all devices are using the internet, the 1Gbps connection would be split between all devices. Theoretically evenly, but it never really works like that. 

If you're talking local transfers, the backbone of the switch and/or router should support enough bandwidth for all ports to run at full speed at the same time, allowing all devices to have 1Gbps Full Duplex bandwidth. I'll reiterate that as your internet connection is a single 1Gbps link, you cannot have multiple devices using 1Gbps at the same time on the internet (or otherwise connections outside of your local network). 

I would go with a router + switch as it allows you to swap out the router any time you want without the need for 8 ports as a requirement. Also, if you're going to need all of the ports on an 8 port switch, go for a 16 port switch to account for future network expansion. 

I have a problem here....I have several devices to connect using wired LAN like TV, 2 Desktops, PS4 and maybe even more devices in the future.

1) Currently I am looking to upgrade my current router (Asus RT-AC56S) but I am having a dilemma on whether I should go for gigabit network switch (TP Link 8-port Gigabit smart switch) with a 4 port Asus Tri-band RT-AC5300 (S$49+S$459) or a 8-port router Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 ($559).

2) If I were to connect 4 to 6 devices at a go will the speed be affected? assuming all connected devices are being used simultaneously.

I have a 1Gbps plan with my local service provider, so will that 1Gbps be divided into that 4 to 6 devices or all devices will run at 1Gbps.

3) If I choose to get the cheaper router with the network switch, my guess is to connect the network switch to the router? And can I have more than 1 network switch one to be position in the livingroom and another in the studyroom?

Sorry if I asked too much, tech newbie here.

if you 6 active connections on a 1 gigabit internet contract, that bandwidth would be split either way - it won't matter if you have a switch + router or a 8 port router

I would keep the AC56S and buy a gigabit switch

If all devices are using the internet, the 1Gbps connection would be split between all devices. Theoretically evenly, but it never really works like that. 

If you're talking local transfers, the backbone of the switch and/or router should support enough bandwidth for all ports to run at full speed at the same time, allowing all devices to have 1Gbps Full Duplex bandwidth. I'll reiterate that as your internet connection is a single 1Gbps link, you cannot have multiple devices using 1Gbps at the same time on the internet (or otherwise connections outside of your local network). 

I would go with a router + switch as it allows you to swap out the router any time you want without the need for 8 ports as a requirement. Also, if you're going to need all of the ports on an 8 port switch, go for a 16 port switch to account for future network expansion. 

1) I honestly think the only difference between the two is the amount of ports

2) the 1Gbps would be split between the 4 to 6 devices, but seeing as a 4K youtube video will max use 50Mbps and netflix will use even less than that, I wouldn't be too worried about it except if you were to do local filetransfers to a NAS for example.

3) you can have as many switches as you want wherever in a netwerk you want, you can compare it to a powerstrip, you can chain them but the less you do it the better

Hope this helps

I would pick the better router. Sorry can't tell you which one that is I'm on phone so can't be arsed looking up specs.

Number of ports doesn't change your speed.

downloadmoreports.com

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

For a network of this size you only need one router. I'd buy the router of your choosing and then buy a 16 port gigabit network switch (You said you might be adding things to the network in the future) then I'd position the 16 port switch somewhere in the house that you can run all the cables to it easily.

On a 1Gbit network you don't have to worry about bandwidth issues when everybody is on their computer at once. If their is a bottleneck issue it's more likely to be your ISP.

If you would rather use multiple 8 port switches you could position them where ever you like and I'd just plug each into the back of the router.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

For a network of this size you only need one router. I'd buy the router of your choosing and then buy a 16 port gigabit network switch (You said you might be adding things to the network in the future) then I'd position the 16 port switch somewhere in the house that you can run all the cables to it easily.

On a 1Gbit network you don't have to worry about bandwidth issues when everybody is on their computer at once. If their is a bottleneck issue it's more likely to be your ISP.

If you would rather use multiple 8 port switches you could position them where ever you like and I'd just plug each into the back of the router.

You misunderstood the OP with your first comment. He's not thinking about using two routers - but rather, replacing the existing router w/ a new one.

@BobbyC I would for sure take the cheaper router and get a Gigabit Network Switch. Plug all your devices directly into the switch, then one cable from the switch into a LAN port on the Router. If you add any more switches, plug them each directly into the Router into the remaining LAN ports.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You misunderstood the OP with your first comment. He's not thinking about using two routers - but rather, replacing the existing router w/ a new one.

Reviewing my previous post I'm actually not sure why I put that there. I did just wake up for the day and I have a cold so my head is a little foggy.