What RYZEN CPU to get and MOBO

OK so I am in a conflicted decision here I want to get a new Motherboard and CPU for gaming.

Games I play:

• World of Warcraft
  • GTA V
  • World of Warships
  • The Division
  • Battlefield 1

I play many others but those are the core ones especially with Warcraft.

Now with World of Warcraft it is a CPU intensive game and it only goes up in FPS if you have a higher clock speed on the CPU like that's it.

I currently have an i5 4590 which IMO is not great its OK but meh.. And i can't overclock since the Mobo I have is a H97 and I have a non-k CPU

What I want is a Ryzen CPU that can be overclocked high as temperatures where I live and in general will be very low, I want to be able to multitask a little bit but mainly for gaming purposes.

I have seen benchmarks but not many of Warcraft and since that is the game I play the most, and therefore requires a higher clock speed I am not sure on which to go for.

I know people that have a 7700k in Warcraft that have overclocked it and it runs so good but with Intel is only a quad core and doesn't have the multitasking capabilities as Ryzen does unless you want to go for 6800k or something.

Any Suggestions??

Part 2 - Motherboard

I have thought long and hard for this one. There are many motherboards out there but I am willing to spend more to get a near top range board even if it is a bit overkill, only because of past experiences with mid range boards being limited and just not enough. Brands I would go for is either MSI or ASUS. Good thing about ASUS is in New Zealand you can actually ring them up for free unlike other companies that are situated overseas which can cost an arm and a leg to ring.

My thoughts are;

I am open to any suggestions

Cheers :)

Crosshair, defo. It's the best Ryzen board out now. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, Xplod2064 said:

OK so I am in a conflicted decision here I want to get a new Motherboard and CPU for gaming.

Games I play:

• World of Warcraft
  • GTA V
  • World of Warships
  • The Division
  • Battlefield 1

I play many others but those are the core ones especially with Warcraft.

Now with World of Warcraft it is a CPU intensive game and it only goes up in FPS if you have a higher clock speed on the CPU like that's it.

I currently have an i5 4590 which IMO is not great its OK but meh.. And i can't overclock since the Mobo I have is a H97 and I have a non-k CPU

What I want is a Ryzen CPU that can be overclocked high as temperatures where I live and in general will be very low, I want to be able to multitask a little bit but mainly for gaming purposes.

I have seen benchmarks but not many of Warcraft and since that is the game I play the most, and therefore requires a higher clock speed I am not sure on which to go for.

I know people that have a 7700k in Warcraft that have overclocked it and it runs so good but with Intel is only a quad core and doesn't have the multitasking capabilities as Ryzen does unless you want to go for 6800k or something.

Any Suggestions??

Part 2 - Motherboard

I have thought long and hard for this one. There are many motherboards out there but I am willing to spend more to get a near top range board even if it is a bit overkill, only because of past experiences with mid range boards being limited and just not enough. Brands I would go for is either MSI or ASUS. Good thing about ASUS is in New Zealand you can actually ring them up for free unlike other companies that are situated overseas which can cost an arm and a leg to ring.

My thoughts are;

I am open to any suggestions

Cheers :)

Also forgot to mention that I have a MSI R9 390 and 2x8GB GSKILL TRIDENT X 3200MHz ram to go with it.

X370 Taichi is also worth looking at

Just now, Xplod2064 said:

Also forgot to mention that I have a MSI R9 390 and 2x8GB GSKILL TRIDENT X 3200MHz ram to go with it.

there isn't really a point to get such an expensive mobo, get a 1700 or 1600 and cheaper SLi X370 board like the Gaming Pro or Killer SLi 

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Crosshair, defo. It's the best Ryzen board out now. 

For a $100 price hike? I'd spend it on an SSD or something. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

You haven't posted a budget, but since your talking about the 7700K i'll assume it's around there.

I'd say the 1600X or the 1700. Sure, Ryzen isn't as good as the 7700K, but  it'l max WoW with a good GPU, and all those other games too. I have a friend who I recently picked out a build featuring the 1600X - he clocked it to 3.8 and he can max everything with the RX580.  As a WoW player, I'll assume your multitasking (let's be real who can quest in WoW without watching netflix or listening to something)

I truly believe there's no reason to buy Intel at the minute, unless your :

A) Buying the 6950X, Pentium G4560 or your ONLY gaming and getting the 7700K.

B) Getting an I3 (Ryzen doesn't exactly compete because there's no R3 yet)

B) Devoted to intel for some reason

So, with Intel out the way, picking between 1700 and 1600X is your choice.

As far as I can see, benchmarks between the two don't really differ that much. They trade blows, in some games like Doom Ryzen 5 does pull ahead quite a bit though. Nonetheless, Ryzen 7 can also max pretty much any game with a good GPU, and is pretty much the same in the majority of titles, if not sometimes faster.

If you want to save $40 or so, go for the 1600x or even  1600. Otherwise, grab a 1700 and OC it. 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads isn't a bad deal for $40 or so, the 1700 price is a steal at the minute.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Also, for mobo, I don't see the point in getting a crossair for like $200 if your debating between CPUs. I'd say get a midrange X370 and invest the money in a better cooler, GPU or highspeed ram (Ryzen loves fast ram, it can improve FPS quite a bit!). Spending nearly as much on your motherboard as a CPU isn't a wise investment IMO. I only go for expensive motherboards if i'm already buying top of the line CPUs, like an 7700K or 1700X/1800X.

Main Rig

6 hours ago, Megah3rtz said:

For a $100 price hike? I'd spend it on an SSD or something. 

Then I'd get an X370 ASRock board to save some money. I've really been wanting the MSI Gaming Pro Carson, but all I hear is that the BIOS doesn't work well with Ryzen and you can't OC memory. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

8 hours ago, Armakar said:

Also, for mobo, I don't see the point in getting a crossair for like $200 if your debating between CPUs. I'd say get a midrange X370 and invest the money in a better cooler, GPU or highspeed ram (Ryzen loves fast ram, it can improve FPS quite a bit!). Spending nearly as much on your motherboard as a CPU isn't a wise investment IMO. I only go for expensive motherboards if i'm already buying top of the line CPUs, like an 7700K or 1700X/1800X.

Ryzen only uses faster Ram if your playing on a 1080 TI , anything bellow that its 1-3 fps diff (which I belive ppl cant notice), +1 on the GPU investment over the mobo 100%,  cheers

I got some WoW fps numbers for ya.

I own a Ryzen 5 1600X and on the #7 graphics preset in WoW I'm around 70-100 fps in a populated city like Stormwind or Dalaran, around 40-70 fps while doing 25mans like LFR (depending on the fight, some run better and some run worse because of things like enormous AoE, but I'm typically 40-70 fps during a boss), and out in the world I'm usually around or well over 144 fps unless I'm in a populated Legion zone. This is all at 1080p and stock frequencies.

Also, the biggest differences between the #7 graphics preset and the maxed #10 preset in WoW are just shadows and view distance, which greatly impact performance for very little additional visual fidelity, so I just leave it at #7 (the default) since I use a 144 Hz monitor. At #10 you'll still be around or over 60 most of the time except in populated cities or raids.

So needless to say, it runs fairly well on Ryzen and would run even better overclocked.

That said, WoW is not a heavily threaded game. It sticks most of its workload onto a single core and, total, uses no more than 3-4 threads, so a 7600K would actually provide better fps in WoW specifically than any Ryzen chip would.

But with other games and cost in consideration, the 7600K makes no sense. If you were to go Intel, I'd say either get a 7700/7700K for raw performance, or stick with Ryzen for its value. I went with Ryzen since my CPU and mobo together cost as much as a single 7700K (even buying the 1600X), and I can still overclock.

Keep in mind that for WoW, there isn't a CPU on the market right now that will get you 60+ fps in every situation. 25man raids and BGs like Alterac Valley will drop your fps when the real fighting starts.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

On 2017-6-9 at 2:49 PM, Emberstone said:

I got some WoW fps numbers for ya.

I own a Ryzen 5 1600X and on the #7 graphics preset in WoW I'm around 70-100 fps in a populated city like Stormwind or Dalaran, around 40-70 fps while doing 25mans like LFR (depending on the fight, some run better and some run worse because of things like enormous AoE, but I'm typically 40-70 fps during a boss), and out in the world I'm usually around or well over 144 fps unless I'm in a populated Legion zone. This is all at 1080p and stock frequencies.

Also, the biggest differences between the #7 graphics preset and the maxed #10 preset in WoW are just shadows and view distance, which greatly impact performance for very little additional visual fidelity, so I just leave it at #7 (the default) since I use a 144 Hz monitor. At #10 you'll still be around or over 60 most of the time except in populated cities or raids.

So needless to say, it runs fairly well on Ryzen and would run even better overclocked.

That said, WoW is not a heavily threaded game. It sticks most of its workload onto a single core and, total, uses no more than 3-4 threads, so a 7600K would actually provide better fps in WoW specifically than any Ryzen chip would.

But with other games and cost in consideration, the 7600K makes no sense. If you were to go Intel, I'd say either get a 7700/7700K for raw performance, or stick with Ryzen for its value. I went with Ryzen since my CPU and mobo together cost as much as a single 7700K (even buying the 1600X), and I can still overclock.

Keep in mind that for WoW, there isn't a CPU on the market right now that will get you 60+ fps in every situation. 25man raids and BGs like Alterac Valley will drop your fps when the real fighting starts.

I've been in 80 man ashran battles and my CPU took it well, that was when I had a 4790k. I believe I had about 70FPS.

Main Rig

8 hours ago, Armakar said:

I've been in 80 man ashran battles and my CPU took it well, that was when I had a 4790k. I believe I had about 70FPS.

That was before Legion. They upped the game's shadow resolution, view distance, and particle resolution pretty heavily with this expansion.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

The MSi motherboard is good enough.

check my PC build here: https://valid.x86.fr/jyjc2n

b350 tomhawk arctic h.51 bios, Corsair LPX ram running at 3200mhz

case is a 35$ Zalman Z3 plus white with a cooler master 10$ (15MIR)hyper t4 cooler

20$ EVGA 450w bt (black cables)

150$ 1060 3gb@2.1ghz

On 6/9/2017 at 6:33 AM, Lock It said:

Ryzen only uses faster Ram if your playing on a 1080 TI , anything bellow that its 1-3 fps diff (which I belive ppl cant notice), +1 on the GPU investment over the mobo 100%,  cheers

While that's the case in most AAA games, Op's lists consists of heavily CPU bound games.

Getting faster ram will minimal frame rate and help the ryzen chip in chaotic multiplayer battles in his games, even with a 1060.

See the difference here with a gtx 1060 3gb!

check my PC build here: https://valid.x86.fr/jyjc2n

b350 tomhawk arctic h.51 bios, Corsair LPX ram running at 3200mhz

case is a 35$ Zalman Z3 plus white with a cooler master 10$ (15MIR)hyper t4 cooler

20$ EVGA 450w bt (black cables)

150$ 1060 3gb@2.1ghz

19 hours ago, tim11111111 said:

While that's the case in most AAA games, Op's lists consists of heavily CPU bound games.

Getting faster ram will minimal frame rate and help the ryzen chip in chaotic multiplayer battles in his games, even with a 1060.

See the difference here with a gtx 1060 3gb!

I see your point and youre correct in a way, but comparing 3200Mhz vs 2133Mhz is kinda ridiculous, its not a real world comparison. What I was trying to say was if you game on a 1060 (any version) , and if you see the diff between 2800Mhz and 3200Mhz its minimal, while the price isnt. 

At higher resolutions you start seeing real world diff (10-20) fps.

Nevertheless, good  point ! Cheers!