Which headphones and Amp/Dac would you recommend for a basshead?

Lt.Speirs
Go to solution Solved by SSL,
57 minutes ago, seduce_me said:

HD650 bass is quite prominent and far from lacking.

The HD 650 is more mid to upper bass focused. They also have too much distortion down low. I was listening to the Tron: Legacy soundtrack with them the other day and their bass performance on some tracks is almost comical.

I would check out the ZMF Atticus. At $999 US these come in just slightly over your budget, which would not be including an amp and DAC. By all accounts, these have better bass quality and more sub-bass than the TH-X00.

The caveat is that you'll want to make sure that these are the right headphone to get because they are built to order. So, no returns and a hefty price tag. All else being equal I believe they probably have less bass than something like a Vmoda or Beats. If your brother is not an audiophile, it may be better to try tracking down true bass monsters like the Sony XB500.

My brothers birthday is coming up so I'd like to surprise him with something special. He mostly listens to Rap and DnB (which is the complete opposite from my musical preferences). He's currently using a pair of vmoda's and a PC as the source. Ideally, I'd like to keep the budget to less than $1300 CAD for the headphones and an AMP/DAC. The headphones should have a pronounced bass but shouldn't skimp on detail/clarity (something he's complained about with his current cans).

No biased opinions please.

i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz |:| Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H |:| Noctua NH-D14 |:| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti XE |:| G.Skill 8GB 1600 |:| Samsung EVO 250GB |:| WD Caviar Blue 1TB |:| XFX 750W BE |:| Corsair 450D |:|
ASUS PG348Q |:| Moon Neo 230HAD Dac/Amp |:| Sennheiser HD 800 |:| Logitech G900 |:| Ducky Premier (MX-Reds)

1 minute ago, rhyseyness said:

I've seen it, thanks. Still want more opinions though.

i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz |:| Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H |:| Noctua NH-D14 |:| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti XE |:| G.Skill 8GB 1600 |:| Samsung EVO 250GB |:| WD Caviar Blue 1TB |:| XFX 750W BE |:| Corsair 450D |:|
ASUS PG348Q |:| Moon Neo 230HAD Dac/Amp |:| Sennheiser HD 800 |:| Logitech G900 |:| Ducky Premier (MX-Reds)

Maybe a used LCD-2 and a Schiit stack if you can stretch it. If not, maybe a TH-X00 and whatever DAC/Amp you prefer.

16 minutes ago, seduce_me said:

Maybe a used LCD-2 and a Schiit stack if you can stretch it. If not, maybe a TH-X00 and whatever DAC/Amp you prefer.

I was thinking of going that route but was afraid giving Audeze's QC. It seem their drivers fail quite often from what I gather. It's that or the HD 650's (bass might be lacking?) along with a jot + modi 2 unless someone knows of something better.

Edited by Lt.Speirs
typos - way too sleep deprived

5 minutes ago, Lt.Speirs said:

I was thinking of going that route but was afraid giving Audeze's QC. It seem their drivers fail quite often from what I gather. It's that or the HD 650's (bass might be lacking?) along with a jot + modi 2 unless someone knows of something better.

if he is really a basshead then get him a pair of Fostex TH x00 or if you are lucky enough to be able to find some Fostex T50/40/20 mk2 Argon modded then those would also be great for a basshead.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

51 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

if he is really a basshead then get him a pair of Fostex TH x00 or if you are lucky enough to be able to find some Fostex T50/40/20 mk2 Argon modded then those would also be great for a basshead.

TH-X00 are quite nice, and bassy. I have a pair at my house right now that I'm about to buy

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

2 minutes ago, spwath said:

TH-X00 are quite nice, and bassy. I have a pair at my house right now that I'm about to buy

yeah I kinda want a pair as my fun headphones and later put the TH 900 drivers in them :D

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

57 minutes ago, seduce_me said:

The HD 650 is more mid to upper bass focused. They also have too much distortion down low. I was listening to the Tron: Legacy soundtrack with them the other day and their bass performance on some tracks is almost comical.

I would check out the ZMF Atticus. At $999 US these come in just slightly over your budget, which would not be including an amp and DAC. By all accounts, these have better bass quality and more sub-bass than the TH-X00.

The caveat is that you'll want to make sure that these are the right headphone to get because they are built to order. So, no returns and a hefty price tag. All else being equal I believe they probably have less bass than something like a Vmoda or Beats. If your brother is not an audiophile, it may be better to try tracking down true bass monsters like the Sony XB500.

Thanks for the informative responses, gents.

Take care!