Soldering at is finest

TheMIneGeek
Go to solution Solved by r4tch3t,

You're looking for hookup wire, the proper silver copper stuff is quite expensive so you can use hookup wire and strip the insulation off.

Personally I just use the leads cut from components.

Hi,

I'm a beginner in electronic and in soldering. Actually, no big problems with electronic but soldering is a complete disaster.

My wonder is : what do you use to go from one point to another on something like that : Link to image

I've heard that guy speaking many times of "silver copper wire" but haven't been able to find it on sale.

Hope you can understand what I want in that mess, sorry for my english,

TheMineGeek

You're looking for hookup wire, the proper silver copper stuff is quite expensive so you can use hookup wire and strip the insulation off.

Personally I just use the leads cut from components.

1 minute ago, TheMIneGeek said:

Hi,

I'm a beginner in electronic and in soldering. Actually, no big problems with electronic but soldering is a complete disaster.

My wonder is : what do you use to go from one point to another on something like that : Link to image

I've heard that guy speaking many times of "silver copper wire" but haven't been able to find it on sale.

Hope you can understand what I want in that mess, sorry for my english,

TheMineGeek

for those you use stencil hat fit the BGM pattern, use a solder paste (which is flux and fine shredded solder) wipe it in the holes onto the pads on your chip and use a hot air station to melt the solder evenly on the pads. Hopefully during the process you don't blow the solder drops out of the stancil, if that happens take off the stancil, wick the whole surface and try again. After that put the chip with it's fresh solder drops onto the board and use flux + hot air again to put it down.

If you are new and interested in electronics soldering and repair I can recommand Lois Rossmanns YT-Channel, he's a funny guy with a nice attitude (my opinion) that repairs mostly apple devices notebooks (higher margin) in his store and teaching people the way he's doing it about common flaws on apples electronic design. He has some bigginer electronics stuff, too even though he droped highshool.

YT Lois Rossmann

To make connection between two holes that are next to each other, you can just add solder to each hole and then use the soldering iron to create a solder link between those holes.

For holes more spaced apart, you can use solid core wires. You could use leads from components that you cut after the component is soldered - these are made of copper or steel.

I personally have a bunch of solid core ethernet cable, which is basically made out of eight thin insulated wires arranged in four pairs of two wires twisted together. So I just remove the outside insulation and then cut a piece of wire of the length I want.

The eight wires inside are also color coded so you basically get 8 different wires for the price of one.

Quality ethernet cable is made of copper, but the cheap ethernet cables on the market are actually made of aluminum plated with a thin layer of copper and these wires wouldn't be the best choice for jumper links (the copper plating would break when you bend the wire too much and it's hard to solder aluminum, it oxidizes almost instantly). So if you think of going this route, don't buy the cheapest ethernet cable as you'll be disappointed.

Of course, you can also buy rolls of thin copper wire (with thin insulation) but unless you buy rolls of at least 100 meters, they'd be more expensive than some mass produced ethernet cable.

For finer work, you can also buy thin wires that use enamel or some other very thin material that insulates them, instead of thick plastic insulation.

I use insulated wire for most things but those are often on consumer grade boards. For veroboards, get uninsulated wire, it'll do :P

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980