Custom Powered Computer Monitors

I am thinking about converting my existing non powered computer speakers into powered ones. My only dilemma is that I dont know if by adding stuff to the inside it will significantly change the sound signature of the speaker and cause them to not sound good. Will this happen? Im planning on adding an amplifier, bluetooth cabapability, and and audio out.

My speakers: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-air-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-with-amt-tweeter-pair--300-651

sorta, but not significantly. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

If I remember right, the difference between non-powered and powered speakers are that the non-powered speakers derive their source of power from the cord from the pooter to make them work, whereas, speakers that are powered derive their source of power from the wall, either directly at 110-120 volts or thru some sort of transformer that plugs into the wall then plugs in to the speakers.

Don't really understand what you mean by adding stuff to the inside though.

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

If I remember right, the difference between non-powered and powered speakers are that the non-powered speakers derive their source of power from the cord from the pooter to make them work, whereas, speakers that are powered derive their source of power from the wall, either directly at 110-120 volts or thru some sort of transformer that plugs into the wall then plugs in to the speakers.

Don't really understand what you mean by adding stuff to the inside though.

an unpowered speaker refers to a speaker cabinet where all it is is a speaker, box, and input terminal. You need an external amplifier. A powered speaker includes everything previously listed but also has an amplifier built in so that you do not need an external.

Now, after reading your post again a couple of times I think I understand now what you want to do.  Lemme see if I got this right.  You want to keep your current "unpowered" speakers and make them "powered".   I got that right?  If so, then the only response I would have to that would be to ask, is the work involved trying to do that really worth the trouble when you can purchase powered speakers either online, at WalMart, Target, NewEgg, etc., pretty affordably?

Now, after reading your post again a couple of times I think I understand now what you want to do.  Lemme see if I got this right.  You want to keep your current "unpowered" speakers and make them "powered".   I got that right?  If so, then the only response I would have to that would be to ask, is the work involved trying to do that really worth the trouble when you can purchase powered speakers either online, at WalMart, Target, NewEgg, etc., pretty affordably?

you are correct and yes because i can do it for only about $20 on top of the initial cost of the speakers which i have owned for quite a while now, where as new speakers would run me over $100

Ok, now that I understand I can see where you're coming from.  Just check the audio pin out for the proper voltage and the whole deal should be relatively easy.  I remember back in the day (I'm 62) when you could run down to Radio Shack and get the parts you needed but now days Radio Shack is living on the edge of a financial cliff so they don't carry that sort of stuff any longer.

Should be a good little project.  Good Luck and have fun.

Ok, now that I understand I can see where you're coming from.  Just check the audio pin out for the proper voltage and the whole deal should be relatively easy.  I remember back in the day (I'm 62) when you could run down to Radio Shack and get the parts you needed but now days Radio Shack is living on the edge of a financial cliff so they don't carry that sort of stuff any longer.

Should be a good little project.  Good Luck and have fun.

Yeah I'm actually only 17 but I do really miss RadioShack, the one near me just closed. I would just go there to look around because I enjoyed the stuff they had there as well as it being a super convenient (yet mostly more expensive) way of getting electronic components for simple fixes.

22 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

Are you planning on buying or building your amp?

How are you planning to open up the speakers to fit the amp in?

I have an amp that I bought off of ebay that I currently use anyway for the speakers. Its just a circuit board with no housing. Its small enough to fit inside the bottom of the speaker.

The speakers have screws holding them in. Ill just take the screws and speaker out (which ive already done once to look inside) and work through the speaker hole.

I've thought about building my own amp but whenever I look into doing it the cost never justified doing it, even though id still rather build it because i enjoy doing that stuff. I've also never etched my own pcbs and i dont really want to order one. I also dont want to use generic perf board as that wont be optimal as to how you have to lay out the traces in an apmlifier circuit in order to get the best quality and performance.  

48 minutes ago, 5Beans6 said:

I have an amp that I bought off of ebay that I currently use anyway for the speakers. Its just a circuit board with no housing. Its small enough to fit inside the bottom of the speaker.

The speakers have screws holding them in. Ill just take the screws and speaker out (which ive already done once to look inside) and work through the speaker hole.

I've thought about building my own amp but whenever I look into doing it the cost never justified doing it, even though id still rather build it because i enjoy doing that stuff. I've also never etched my own pcbs and i dont really want to order one. I also dont want to use generic perf board as that wont be optimal as to how you have to lay out the traces in an apmlifier circuit in order to get the best quality and performance.  

Fair enough. Sounds like you've got it all planned out!

Terminals wired internally to the amp input, then amp output wired up to the drivers (via crossover).

Is it one amp for each speaker or one for both?

If it's one for both, you'll have to consider how you're going to get the output back out to the other speaker.

Other than that, think you've got it sorted.

Should be a fun and easy little project :)

Check out Pcbshopper to get circuit boards made. Finds the cheapest option for you including delivery. I've had a few pcs made, usually about an inch square or two, costs about $5-10 delivered. Larger boards will be more expensive naturally.

Also check out places like RSComponents, element14 and others for the parts. You can get free shipping if you buy a certain amount from most places. RS ships to my country free.

I've made a portable speaker out of an old set of stereo speakers, a lithium battery pack, an eBay amplifier and lithium charging circuit and a Bluetooth module from a headset. Works great.