64GB to 128GB - how exactly?

Go to solution Solved by MkaiL,

That board has 8 ram slots so you can just add another 4 sticks of 64 gb

Hi there,

Very new to hardware and I am looking to build a PC for work.

I am looking to get 64GB DDR4 memory for my first build. Down the line I want to have opportunity to go to 128GB.
I have made sure the CPU (i7-6850K) and the mobo (ASUS X99-E WS USB 3.1) can support up to 128GB.
This might be a stupid question but say I have 64GB , to move up to 128GB do I purchase another 64GB pack? or do I have to take out the physical four sticks that are 64GB and put in a new four sticks that will be 128GB?

Also, do I have to pay attention to slot sizes etc to make sure I can move up to 128GB in the future?
I know it's good for the memory to be the same type and speed, what are some other things to look out for?

many thanks in advance

You can add separate kits of ram side by side assuming there are enough slots in the motherboard.

Have you already bought all this? If you haven't I would wait, with all that's been announced recently you'd be wasting a whole lot of money with that hardware.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, MkaiL said:

right - I thought this was the case but had to make sure, thank you for replying buddy!

Since the motherboard has 8 slots you could, potentially, just put another Kit of 64GB into it.

oops 2l8, sorry ^^

Just now, Sauron said:

You can add separate kits of ram side by side assuming there are enough slots in the motherboard.

Have you already bought all this? If you haven't I would wait, with all that's been announced recently you'd be wasting a whole lot of money with that hardware.

Hi Sauron,

You mean the i9 processors?

Just now, vlb6 said:

Hi Sauron,

You mean the i9 processors?

Those and also AMD's offerings - the prices are looking to drop significantly. The 6850k is 1700 bucks right now, on socket 2066 the 10 core should be under 1000. And amd might deliver even more cores for a lower price although they still haven't officially announced pricing.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Those and also AMD's offerings - the prices are looking to drop significantly. The 6850k is 1700 bucks right now, on socket 2066 the 10 core should be under 1000. And amd might deliver even more cores for a lower price although they still haven't officially announced pricing.

hmm, the 6850K is going for around £400, which is not bad at all for here.
which out of the new i9's would be the same 'range' as the 6850K, do you reckon?

I will keep an eye out either way, thanks for the info!

15 minutes ago, TomSerious said:

Since the motherboard has 8 slots you could, potentially, just put another Kit of 64GB into it.

oops 2l8, sorry ^^

thanks buddy!

1 hour ago, vlb6 said:

hmm, the 6850K is going for around £400, which is not bad at all for here.
which out of the new i9's would be the same 'range' as the 6850K, do you reckon?

I will keep an eye out either way, thanks for the info!

Oh sorry, I was thinking of the 6950x, my bad there.  Still, you can get an 8 core ryzen 1700 right now for 320$ (and a lower amount of £ I would assume). The downside is that it's harder to find a motherboard with 8 ram slots with the am4 socket but if you can wait for the workstation platform release there should be some 10 cores for around the price of the 6850k

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 hours ago, Sauron said:

Oh sorry, I was thinking of the 6950x, my bad there.  Still, you can get an 8 core ryzen 1700 right now for 320$ (and a lower amount of £ I would assume). The downside is that it's harder to find a motherboard with 8 ram slots with the am4 socket but if you can wait for the workstation platform release there should be some 10 cores for around the price of the 6850k

hmm ok -
I always went for Intel just because it was a familiar brand as oppose to AMD which I had never heard of before, but now that you mention this it might be worth doing some research. Thanks for the info!

5 hours ago, vlb6 said:

hmm ok -
I always went for Intel just because it was a familiar brand as oppose to AMD which I had never heard of before, but now that you mention this it might be worth doing some research. Thanks for the info!

AMD has been kind of gone from the high end market for the last few years, but this year they released some new chips and they offer a lot of performance for cheaper than intel's counterparts.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*