Windows Deplyoment Server or alternative

Go to solution Solved by leadeater,
12 minutes ago, Nikolithebear said:

However awesome this software seems, its abit out of the scope of the question.  Im talking local machine deployment in an IT support based environment. As I said, clone zilla is something we're using now.  Along those lines. :) thank you though! 

WDS + MDT is likely the most advanced you'll need to go, WDS is included in the cost of Windows Server and MDT is free.

Hey all,

I've been tasked at work while i'm idle that I work on a new deployment system to replace our aging current clone zilla.  What do you guys think?  Any experience with different and more flexible deployment systems?   Thanks!

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

Just now, Nikolithebear said:

Hey all,

I've been tasked at work while i'm idle that I work on a new deployment system to replace our aging current clone zilla.  What do you guys think?  Any experience with different and more flexible deployment systems?   Thanks!

Windows only? WDS is very good so there isn't much point paying for something else that is likely worse.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Windows only? WDS is very good so there isn't much point paying for something else that is likely worse.

Our deployments are windows only. :) I'm failry new at WDS and I have time to fully flesh out the project so i wanted to ask what people here thought. 

Just now, Undertaker225 said:

What is your budget?

Unknown?  Within a price to travel to the moon I guess? 

2 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

CAPA installer but it's not free

I have not heard of that, Ill look into it :) 

If you have the money, IBM BigFix is really good in my opinion, certainly worth looking into.

2 minutes ago, Undertaker225 said:

If you have the money, IBM BigFix is really good in my opinion, certainly worth looking into.

However awesome this software seems, its abit out of the scope of the question.  Im talking local machine deployment in an IT support based environment. As I said, clone zilla is something we're using now.  Along those lines. :) thank you though! 

10 minutes ago, Nikolithebear said:

Hey, so after some discussion with a friend of mine, he let me know that his company uses a program called SmartDeploy to deploy OS images. Whereas I cannot give you my personal experience with this software, I think it's best to have multiple options before committing to a decision. Hope this helps!

12 minutes ago, Nikolithebear said:

WDS + MDT is likely the most advanced you'll need to go, WDS is included in the cost of Windows Server and MDT is free.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Very cool!  I'll move on to the testing phase and work on a solution using WDS if I have anymore questions Ill make sure to bug the forums :)