[ANSWERED] Can I use my GTX 1050 Ti to game while my RX 470 is mining on the same PC?

Go to solution Solved by Drseevee,

Whilst I don't have a lot of experience with mining, I know it certainly is possible although I'm not sure how effective it would be.

You'd certainly be looking at virtualization with PCIe pass-through. Something like vmware ESXi. If you didn't want to mess around with an existing system by setting up ESXi, which runs above the OS's and manages resources, you might perhaps use a software virtualization solution like virtual box. 

i wouldn't 'dedicated' a core to it. I'd  assign it say 2 cores and let the software manage it along with the host os for queueing whereas dedicating takes that core from the host and gives it to the guest OS so if the guest isn't using it and the host needs it then tough luck it's dedicated to the guest.

hope that helps a little, I apologise for my rather vague advice ; I'm not particularly experienced with the ins and outs of mining.

Helolo everyone!

My question is this:

Can I use my GTX 1050 Ti to game while my RX 470 is mining on the same PC?

My specs are:

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.1GHz

MSI GTX 1050 Ti

MSI 970 Motherboard

Hyper X Fury 16GB RAM

1TB HDD

So I am wondering can I buy an RX 470 off of eBay and stick that in the same PC I am using? Mine with the RX 470 while running Windows off of the GTX 1050 Ti?

Thanks!

Would this work if the RX 470 is in the lower slot than GTX 1050 Ti?

Maybe it could work if you set up a virtual machine for the rx and dedicated a cpu core to it.

In short though, that won't work well if at all. Your cpu isn't the roadrunner and it's going to be a quagmire. You're better off building a dedicated miner.

Just now, pzspah said:

Maybe it could work if you set up a virtual machine for the rx and dedicated a cpu core to it.

In short though, that won't work well if at all. Your cpu isn't the roadrunner and it's going to be a quagmire. You're better off building a dedicated miner.

Thanks!

you can probably make it work, one way that will definitely work is use a vm, like vmware  to host a virtual machine running linux or windows with the miner there, or you might try using it just on a different slot (lower) and set the primary card on the bios as the 1050, it might work, plus you can mine and play if the card has enough ram (depends on the coin, it works for ethereum)

Just now, cj09beira said:

you can probably make it work, one way that will definitely work is use a vm, like vmware  to host a virtual machine running linux or windows with the miner there, or you might try using it just on a different slot (lower) and set the primary card on the bios as the 1050, it might work, plus you can mine and play if the card has enough ram (depends on the coin, it works for ethereum)

Thanks!

Whilst I don't have a lot of experience with mining, I know it certainly is possible although I'm not sure how effective it would be.

You'd certainly be looking at virtualization with PCIe pass-through. Something like vmware ESXi. If you didn't want to mess around with an existing system by setting up ESXi, which runs above the OS's and manages resources, you might perhaps use a software virtualization solution like virtual box. 

i wouldn't 'dedicated' a core to it. I'd  assign it say 2 cores and let the software manage it along with the host os for queueing whereas dedicating takes that core from the host and gives it to the guest OS so if the guest isn't using it and the host needs it then tough luck it's dedicated to the guest.

hope that helps a little, I apologise for my rather vague advice ; I'm not particularly experienced with the ins and outs of mining.

1 minute ago, Drseevee said:

Thanks for all the info!

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Beat me too it and better too....

You don't need a VM. The mining tool I've used in the past allows me to assign a single cpu core and select which GPU to use in the system, all within Windows. I've played Overwatch while mining before, just gives off a lot of heat.

You definitely can. Miners like claymore allow you to select which device to mine with. 

What coin are you mining? 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

On 6/5/2017 at 4:21 PM, Coaxialgamer said:

You definitely can. Miners like claymore allow you to select which device to mine with. 

What coin are you mining? 

Ethereum coin.

3 hours ago, TheVideosChannel said:

Ethereum coin.

Why not just define a mining device in your miner and leave it running in the background? You wouldn't need to do any virtualisation

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

17 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Why not just define a mining device in your miner and leave it running in the background? You wouldn't need to do any virtualisation

Maybe...that might work.

I will just have to try it when I get my graphics card into my home :)