BUILD or BUY

I am currently having a difficult time choosing between building my PC now or at the end of the year
So to explain I will be both building my own setup and buying a sort of laptop over the next  6 month s

Since AMD Vega got delayed I am rethinking my choice  of :

Building now and buying the laptop later in the year when new stuff come out like a refresh from the Blade Stealth ,  new Zenbooks and others 

I am reconsidering because I believe Vega will offer some competition to the Nvidia cards and Intel will probably announce or "leak" coffeelake anyday now and  this will lower the prices a bit of my intended 7700k and 1070 build however I am not sure
I will very unlikely be buying any of the Vega products but I will try to take  advantage of them and in waiting for the build later I will have to have to buy the laptop right now , although I am not sold on any of the products in the laptop market and it is about that time of the year where everyone is releasing their new products

Help me decide by sharing your thoughts

Before you reply , wait a couple of minutes after the post's time stamp since I usually edit right after posting. Also please read the post carefully.

Current Rig:

Intel i7-7700k @ Stock / ASUS STRIX Z270E / NZXT Kraken x62 / 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000 Corsair Vengeance RGB LED / Samsung 960 Evo 250GB / WD Blue 1TB / Seasonic-X 650w / Windows 10 Pro x64

1 minute ago, wii8cookies said:

build, or if on a budget, find a prebuilt and upgrade it.

I am not on a regulart budget exactly I have like $2700 for both the laptop and the build and I am spending about $1700 on the build and I don't know if the rest will be enough to get me a good laptop

Before you reply , wait a couple of minutes after the post's time stamp since I usually edit right after posting. Also please read the post carefully.

Current Rig:

Intel i7-7700k @ Stock / ASUS STRIX Z270E / NZXT Kraken x62 / 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000 Corsair Vengeance RGB LED / Samsung 960 Evo 250GB / WD Blue 1TB / Seasonic-X 650w / Windows 10 Pro x64

1 minute ago, The 6th Summoner said:

I am not on a regulart budget exactly I have like $2700 for both the laptop and the build and I am spending about $1700 on the build and I don't know if the rest will be enough to get me a good laptop

my recommendation is to build a build a really good main rig for gaming, then a cheap Chromebook or something like that for other stuff around the place.

linus sex tips

my recommendation is to build a build a really good main rig for gaming, then a cheap Chromebook or something like that for other stuff around the place.

I agree but I don't think you are answering my main question of waiting for Vega to help with the prices and might allow me to go for a 1080 or smth or just build now

Current Rig:

It takes some time for system builders to update their models when new hardware comes out. Especially for something like Dell, HP, or even ASUS. CyberPowerPC or whoever or anyone else who basically does custom builds and slap their badge on it are usually quicker.

2 minutes ago, The 6th Summoner said:

I agree but I don't think you are answering my main question of waiting for Vega to help with the prices and might allow me to go for a 1080 or smth or just build now

uhhh... idk, i'll let someone else answer that because you're talking to the person that went with an fx instead of waiting several months for ryzen. I would say to wait though from personal experience, because even if you don't get vega, the prices of other amd cards will drop when it releases

linus sex tips

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It takes some time for system builders to update their models when new hardware comes out. Especially for something like Dell, HP, or even ASUS. CyberPowerPC or whoever or anyone else who basically does custom builds and slap their badge on it are usually quicker.

I don't get how this pertains to my case I am building the PC myself not buying anything pre-built the question is whether to get the laptop now and build after VEGA is out so stuff is cheaper or build now and wait for the new laptops/ultrabooks from MSI / ASUS / MC / Razer are out 

Current Rig:

uhhh... idk, i'll let someone else answer that because you're talking to the person that went with an fx instead of waiting several months for ryzen. I would say to wait though from personal experience, because even if you don't get vega, the prices of other amd cards will drop when it releases

I am getting an Nvidia Card anyway so amd cards dropping won't help .
Please read my original post carefully :/

Thanks anyway

Current Rig:

Just now, The 6th Summoner said:

I don't get how this pertains to my case I am building the PC myself not buying anything pre-built the question is whether to get the laptop now and build after VEGA is out so stuff is cheaper or build now and wait for the new laptop from MSI / ASUS / MC / Razer are out 

If you wanted to buy a gaming laptop, then my post semi-answers your question. It's going to take a while for the models to update. So you'll be waiting a while. And even then, it's up in the air whether or not Vega will even have a laptop market considering the Polaris market in laptops is kind of small. Most gaming laptops still use NVIDIA GPUs.

And then there's the point if Vega will even cause a price drop at all. You can't assume Vega will. People thought AMD would release the R9 Fury in a way that would make NVIDIA price drop the GTX 980 Ti it was going up against. Nope, it didn't do a damn thing to the price.

What do you need now? Buy based on that. If your needs change in the future, oh well. But unless you have a crystal ball that shows the future, anything is possible.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you wanted to buy a gaming laptop, then my post semi-answers your question. It's going to take a while for the models to update. So you'll be waiting a while. And even then, it's up in the air whether or not Vega will even have a laptop market considering the Polaris market in laptops is kind of small. Most gaming laptops still use NVIDIA GPUs.

And then there's the point if Vega will even cause a price drop at all. You can't assume Vega will. People thought AMD would release the R9 Fury in a way that would make NVIDIA price drop the GTX 980 Ti it was going up against. Nope, it didn't do a damn thing to the price.

What do you need now? Buy based on that. If your needs change in the future, oh well. But unless you have a crystal ball that shows the future, anything is possible.

Mhm I kinda don't need a gaming laptop since the main build will cover that  as I said in my main post I want a small lightweight laptop like the Blade Stealth ,XPS13 ,ASUS Zenbook but each of the current iterations have glaring issues that put me off such as the hideous bezel in the blade stealth for example that's why I was waiting for the new laptops and your comment about the Fury and 980 Ti makes me more confident in just building now since I am not guaranteed a cheaper build if I wait

Thanks for the help

Current Rig:

Do you have a pre-built PC?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

2 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Do you have a pre-built PC?

No , I kinda have nothing right now  ( Shitty 7 year old laptop )
I will both build my own PC and buy a small laptop/ultrabook over the next 6 months

Current Rig:

3 hours ago, The 6th Summoner said:

No , I kinda have nothing right now  ( Shitty 7 year old laptop )
I will both build my own PC and buy a small laptop/ultrabook over the next 6 months

$2800 to spend? Better build it and tell this community the status just like what @HerySean does

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

15 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

$2800 to spend? Better build it and tell this community the status just like what @HerySean does

yeah but $2700 for both a PC build and laptop not only a build

Current Rig:

10 minutes ago, The 6th Summoner said:

yeah but $2700 for both a PC build and laptop not only a build

Asus GL502VS is around $1700,

And this list may work

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/W3Mfcc
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/W3Mfcc/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($215.98 @ PCM) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($76.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($126.59 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: SK hynix - SL308 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($58.49 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($400.26 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.49 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1096.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-03 02:53 EDT-0400

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :